Narrow minded people, hacks, and posers....

Ron Earp

Admin
I have heard that the older cars, (80's and older) can be worked on with basic tools just like a Ford or Chevy, but the later cars require special fixtures and tools; Is this this true?

I saw the bill for my buddies 360 timing belt service, i was pretty much like this after seeing it -->:shocked:

It is just a damn motor, just like anything else.

If you look through Ford's service manual for the modular motor DOHC engines (same as Ferrari's general design) you'll turn up I think seven special tools, with part numbers, "you need" to change the timing chain. In practice you need none of them, just a decent tool kit and a desire to get after it.

Or those are the guys who wish they have a ferrari and think they know everything about them and how they are so great. This guy just wants to complete his dream of owning a Ferrari and to shut him down is ignorant. He is just like the rest of those guys on there maybe not financially but with passion. Thats why us GT40 guys are great. hahaha. Because we respect each other and enjoy a car that kicked ferrari's ass.

Hey Pete, if it would fit in a Ferrari and bolt to the transaxle I would put one in one of my F cars.

Cliff I have owned 8 Ferrari's over the last 25 years still have 2, work on all my cars every single one of them V8s V12s, Flat 12s, they are just motors, plan and simple, people think you have to be a certified Ferrari mechanic to touch one, which is a joke. I rebuilt the motor in an old 308GT4 I bought for my wife to use as a driver, put EFI on it with DIS ignition then put a blower off one of the 3.8 GM motors. I have heard some of the people in the F chat were talking crap about it. Doesn't bother me, most of them don't know where the spark plugs are anyway. My other F car is twin turbo'ed. :)

Yup, the f-car is still just a car with a motor and wheels and seats like every other car. You've obviously done some pretty cool stuff with yours Jack! Way to go.

It's pretty rare to find a place on the web where guys all over the world are building their own (very impressive) cars, moded motors, scratch built transaxles, etc. and sharing all the info with a spirit of comraderie with little to no snobbery. Cheers to gt40s.com.

I'll still go to f-chat for technical info for my lowly 308 and mondial cab f-cars. There are a few fellows on there who have excellent technical skills and graciously give their time/experience to other f-chatters. Maybe I'll build a 308 hot rod with all alloy SBF and then take it to a f-car track day and see what happens....

Keith

"see what happens" Cliff?

I thought that would be obvious mate - you'll be burnt at the stake! :flameon:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have heard that the older cars, (80's and older) can be worked on with basic tools just like a Ford or Chevy, but the later cars require special fixtures and tools; Is this this true?

I saw the bill for my buddies 360 timing belt service, i was pretty much like this after seeing it -->:shocked:

The belts are cheap, truly it was the early boxers that had the problems with the smaller belts thus making it a Ferrari nightmare to have a car over 5 years old with the original belts or the famous 30k mile service which also is sort of a joke. The belts for a 308 are somewhere in the $30-$40 each if I can recall. The weak link in the 308 328s is the water pump, people don't drive them then the seals start leaking then the motor over heats then the compression rings are shot so on, so on. As for the new motors I with all the whistles and bells that the Japanese have been using for years can't be that complicated. As long as the ECU is OK then its basic mechanics. Just my thoughts.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
The 355 requires a timing belt change at least every three years and that means the engine comes out. Cost at the dealer, around $4000.00:stunned:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Pete, I can't make a statement about the 355 timing belts but would not be afraid to jump in and do the job. I love the 355 motor and transaxle, Ferrari did a nice job of development in that department.

For you Ferrari owners that want to do a belt job let me tell you a little secret, buy a roll of strapping tape, the kind of tape that you must cut because it has fiberglass in it. Put the motor on TDC #1. BEFORE you loosen the cam belt tensioner's wrap the tape from the intake cam to the exhaust cam just behind the cam pulleys a couple times real tight, then wrap tie the tape between the cams so the cams will not slip because of valve spring tension, then loosen the belt tensioner (check bearing on tensioner while your at it) slide the old belt off without moving the crank and slide the new belt on with the loose side to the tensioner. This whole operation can be done in less than an hour in the car. It takes longer to move the AC compressor and remove cam covers than to change the belts. While your at it order a seal kit for the water pump and change it, they use to be $35 from GT CAR PARTS in Phoenix AZ which is the best place to buy Ferrari Lambo parts.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Cliff,
I hear some nut is putting a blown 4.6 in a GT40. :lol:
Pete

I have a friend and workmate who rode in my SPF MkII, decided he had to have one and bought one just like mine... well, it has two Gurney bubbles, but color is the same. A titanium MkII.

It has been at a shop in Dallas for months now. To date, it has an iPod docking station, Ricardo transaxle out of a Ford GT (the rear part of the chassis had to be extensively modified, the engine positioned up and forward more), paddle shifter, etc. etc., etc.

Work is being finalized on a twin turbo 427 Windsor which he will not accept unless it dynos at more than 1000hp. That is his main goal, he tells me... 1000+hp. Something he said he has always wanted. All custom exhaust, intake, etc.

Needless to say, there has been a LOT of money spent to date and more to spend before he gets it on the road. It will no doubt be featured in a magazine next year.

Oh, and he expects to use it as a daily driver.... :stunned:

FWIW,
Kirby

Wow. So much for driving the GT40 on the weekend and driving the Prius during the week to moderate the "carbon footprint"......

Seriously though, a car that extreme could get tiring for a commuter don't you think?

Keith

Wow. So much for driving the GT40 on the weekend and driving the Prius during the week to moderate the "carbon footprint"......

Sorry for thread drift but carbon footprint is always near to our hearts yes? :heart:

Did anyone see the Top Gear episode where they drove a Prius around their aerodrome track at a reasonable lick and then got a 400hp BMW M3 to follow it round, not to overtake but just to keep up, to check the respective fuel consumptions?

Result for those that didn't see it - checked and verified by 1/3rd party:

Toyota Prius - 17 mpg
BMW M3 - 19 mpg

Which means lots of significant things but I'm bandjaxed so I'm retiring for the night...

Back