Need advice to build pair of race muffler slip on’s

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Chris
Our standard system is the same but with two 5" round mufflers.
The picture has the optional megaphones fitted but they have internal baffles so you get the look but not the noise.
The baffles are removable if you decide you want the noise.
Thanks
Andy

Ed McClements

Supporter
Why would you want to change that? Are your neighbors complaining or is it for racing noise restriction?
Just Curious. Because that looks to me like it sounds like it should.

Since most track events have a 103 dB noise limit, I need to install a pair of race mufflers to replace the straight pipes that are on the car now. I’ve found various 4-1 reducers that can be bought at Summit Racing. There are also various race mufflers offered.
What would you recommend ? Who has some detail pictures of such a build and could post them here ?

Noise regulations are becoming a real issue these days. GT40's are allready banned from the tracks.
Have seen all GT40's banned from the practice days at Spa 6hrs except one... He had all the time available without issues and ill bet had the time of his live enjoying it..
IMG_6111.JPG

It doesn't look right but for sure its smart thinking. Slip on system makes the team able to race whenever they can.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Noise regulations are becoming a real issue these days. GT40's are allready banned from the tracks.
Have seen all GT40's banned from the practice days at Spa 6hrs except one... He had all the time available without issues and ill bet had the time of his live enjoying it..
View attachment 113684
It doesn't look right but for sure its smart thinking. Slip on system makes the team able to race whenever they can.
As finicky as Webers are to being properly jetted, I'll wager that they have to run an entirely different jet profile with that exhaust system to still have the engine run right..

Probably only have change airbleeds as airbleeds are the ones that affect afr in the top range.

1/3th rpm range = idle jet till main jet fully takes over
2/3th rpm range = main jet till air correction takes over.
3/3th rpm range is where the air correction jet does its job. The smaller the airjet, the richer the mixture.

Float height does contribute a lot to AFR. Fuel pumps that can not cope with the demand on high rpm (like Facet Red Tops) will lower the fuel level in the float bowl at high rpm and so on lean the mixture.

Glenn M

Supporter
I'll be very interested to know how they fare when you do get it measured, especially the static test, which is always the one that 40's struggle with.
Good luck!

Back