Need help with a wiring problem

Hooked up my battery tonight and had mostly great success in testing the various components (headlights, driving lights, etc.)

I do have a few problems though:
1) no horn.
2) constant hot
3) no left rear turn signal
4) left turn signal activates right rear turn signal

#2 is the biggest concern. I layed out the wiring so that B+ had to run through a master cutoff switch. Even when its deactivated the circuit is still hot on both sides. Any suggestion as to where to start?

I hate electrical crap!

Addendum:
I have B+ from the battery going to the remote starter solenoid. Maybe I should rout the cable directly to the cutoff switch and redo the wires to the remote solenoid.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hooked up my battery tonight and had mostly great success in testing the various components (headlights, driving lights, etc.)

I do have a few problems though:
1) no horn.
2) constant hot
3) no left rear turn signal
4) left turn signal activates right rear turn signal

#2 is the biggest concern. I layed out the wiring so that B+ had to run through a master cutoff switch. Even when its deactivated the circuit is still hot on both sides. Any suggestion as to where to start?

I hate electrical crap!

You didn't post a schematic so most of what I might be able to help with would be just semi-educated guesses..

To address #2 - Disconnect the alternator wiring and see if you are still always hot.

[QUOTE=Bill D
I hate electrical crap

Electrickery.

Come on Bill you got this far.
Get the test lamp out and go through one at a time.
A wire is back to front on the indicators from the switch or rear bulk head plug if you have one.
Power the horn 12v if it works ,work your way back ,it will ground through the horn button and the horn should have 12v ign on.
Or if the horn has a constant ground the horn button will ground the relay and send 12v to the horn.
Learn how a relay works it will help you.
The constant 12v both sides of your master isolator ,I think Randys going to be on the money with the alternator wire.

There is a master suited to kill the alternator main battery supply wire, it does not sound like you have one of them.
If you dont the engine will still run when you turn the master off due to the alternator is turning and will continue to supplying voltage to your accessories.

One at a time Bill.

Jim

Last edited:
All the problems have been resolved

No horn - I forgot the ground wire from the horn switch
No left turn signal - dead wire. Snaked a new one in the bundle
Constant B+ - fixed

Back