New Cameras Spring up All Over

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Does anyone know the reasoning behind the new camera things sprouting up all over the main road network.

Well I presume they are cameras and always seen to be in batches with more cameras than lanes on the road.(2 lanes get 3 cameras, 3 lanes 5 cameras etc.)

Now if they were speed cameras I would expect to see one at one end of the straight road and one at the other to time you and get an average speed but NO they seem to be randomly dotted around.

Perhaps they are the start of the Big Brother pay as you drive schemes that President Blair got petitioned against.

And does anyone here have any knowledge of the planning requirements for such poles etc.? Reason being some are remarkibly close to the edge of the road and will probably get wiped out in an accident causing undue hapr to the car occupents.

Or can anyone point me at some stats where people have been injured by hitting unnecessary "road furniture" (read cameras) after all these are said to be devices for our safety and not something to potentially cause injury!!!! (I think the stats would be real interesting)

Ian

Ian,
I don't know about your particular location, but in Atlanta, it is to give the traffic planners and the public, a real time info of the road conditions. They have H E R O units that respond to roadside emergencys and conditions that otherwise couldnot be seen of heard about(reported) until it is probably too late. Stranded motorist from outside the state wouldn't know how to get assistance. If you hear of a disasterous accident, you can go online and see if it will affect the route you are planning. Sometimes it will let you know how far the backup is. They have also info on the biggest tie ups/accidents in our state. You can literally go up the interstate, camera by camera and see what is going on. Images are stills, but they are updated every few minutes. for a look go here:
Georgia Navigator :: Cameras
to see an outline of the system.

Bill

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bill

Nope we've got those caleras too and get "live" updates on some TV traffic alerts.

These are different - need to take a photo and post

Ian

I have seen 3 new odd looking camera things. They look like a short lamp-post but with about 5-7 mini cameras mounted along the top rail. A3 coming off the flyover SW bound by Raynes Park and on the A40 heading out of town just before the M25 there are 2 sets. I wonder if they are to take pics of the drivers ???

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 345

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Trip home from Work
A40 Out of town just past North Circ Junction
A40 In to town just town side of Hoover Building
A312 Northbound just before Target Roundabout
A312 Both North and South Just North of the turning to British Airways Sports Club
A30 Londonbound at Hatton Cross station
A30 Out of London at KLM building just before Terminal4

Now that's what I saw - never noticed any on the North Circular.

So definately a fair few sprouting up!

All are on white poles that look like a lampost but have the cameras mounted on the crossbar.

And I forgot the camera!

IAn

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Paul - Number Plate Recognition Cameras.
Quite a few of the Service Stations on the motorways are getting them installed and - wait for this - any irregularity on the docs of your car, it may be that they will switch the pump off so you can't refuel. If it was a hooky number plate I'd be all in favour but IMHO the rest of it is a bit far fetched. The first station to install it is Oxford Services on the M40.
There is also a newish fleet of plain white Mercedes Sprinters which are unmarked apart from two small apartures in the top panels of the rear doors. These are spending a couple of hours in a layby then moving on, and often have an unmarked
high speed car or a couple of motorcycles waiting nearby, the latter apparently only on nice sunny days.
Meanwhile the eco warriers at the airport are giving the constabulary unlimited overtime.
The Taliban must be pissing themselves laughing.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Just as an aside, the Italian Police have been stopped from producing photographs of drivers as part of the evidence for speeding offences. It would seem that not that many car drivers caught speeding have the 'correct' person sitting in the passenger seat and the Police are interfering in a major National sport and pastime.
Now, thats what I call people power.....:pepper:

Number Plate Recognition Cameras.
Quite a few of the Service Stations on the motorways are getting them installed and - wait for this - any irregularity on the docs of your car, it may be that they will switch the pump off so you can't refuel.

I've heard that they're being installed because of people leaving without paying for fuel.

Back