New Gt40 build

I thought that some would find this interesting, I am building a new CAV GT for one of Roy Sayles customers, it will have a Roush 427IR and a ZF, as the engine is fuel injected and equipped with Roush's serpentine belt system(designed for Superformance cars, AC compressor on the r/s instead of the left) I will have to make some mods to the car and I will post any interesting things I find along the way.
The CAV comes with most items needed for the build, bellhousing, brackets for alt/ac, all cooling lines, exhaust system,the cable shifter etc.
If you are installing a Getrag it also includes a clutch, flywheel and the adapters that I see people searching for on this site.
This car has Wilwood brakes, the wide body kit and custom 17" BRM
with Michlin Pilot Sports.
The Roush motor comes with everything needed, alt, AC comp, flywheel and starter, it has been Dyno run and the fuel injection system programmed.
I will have to source a clutch(McCleod, inc t.o bearing) and a slave cylinder.
I also go thru the car and set up the suspension.

Attachments

• PICT1277.JPG
    PICT1277.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 2,359
  • PICT1279.JPG
    PICT1279.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 2,295
  • PICT1283.JPG
    PICT1283.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,233
  • PICT1280.JPG
    PICT1280.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 2,201
It is a pity you need a minimum number of letters because I could sum up these pictures with just one word: AWESOME!

2 more photos, note the size of the up rights, the new stub axles for 930 CV's, different geometry of the trailing links, rear trans mount ties into the much stronger mount for the engine cover. Quite different from my chassis #56.

Attachments

• PICT1284.JPG
    PICT1284.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 2,204
  • PICT1285.JPG
    PICT1285.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 2,114
Hi David.

AC and alternator will require relocation. I did a fortification on the rear ZF mounting to handle similar hp as your 427. Fuel pumps may not provide volume required for injection at full blast. Mcleod 650hp rated roadrace clutch works well and lasts. Try the hydraulic throwout bearing, mechanical one requires lotsa legpower. Fit teflon cups inside stubaxles otherwise CV inner knocks gainst it and provides hrrible sound effects like as if your CVs are failing prematurely.
Good luck and enjoy
J Hamm
CAV106 560HP

Hi Johann, thanks for your comments and observations, I am relocating the AC hoses to keep the serpentine belt system, I have used the Mcleod hydraulic T/o bearing on several cars, but I am using an external slave with Mcleod adjustable bearing on this install. The angle of the slave cylinder mounting is wrong from CAV and that is part of the high pedal pressure required to activate the clutch, also the ratio on the clutch pedal to Master cylinder is not ideal and I will probably change that as well.
I don't have a gearbox yet but I will let you know how it works out.
Dave

Re: New Gt40 build update

Still no transaaxle(sometime this month I have been told) but the rest of the install is basically finished.
The Superformance Roush motor and its serpentine belt system are in, I had to relocate the AC and heater hoses but that worked out very well.
A lot of fabrication and relocation of various components of the fuel injection and its harness was required but all that has gone well and I cobbled up a small stainless swirl pot that fits into a little tool box at the rear of the left sponson. The high pressure pump is attached to the bottom of this tank as are the fuel lines from the primary pumps and the high pressure out to the injectors. The return comes back to the top small tank, not the main tanks.
Once the trans is in I will get it running and then remove the electrical harnesses and tidy up everything.
This should be a great car and I am getting anxiuos to see it live, as is the owner Carl Staub, who has been very patient during this transaxle fiasco.
Dave

Attachments

• PICT1499.JPG
    PICT1499.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 1,660
  • PICT1498.JPG
    PICT1498.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 1,626
  • PICT1497.JPG
    PICT1497.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,618
  • PICT1496.JPG
    PICT1496.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,696
  • PICT1495.JPG
    PICT1495.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,685
The Transaxle Fairy makes an appearance!
Living proof that somewhere, in a small town in the wilds of Texas, a band of industrious Elves(Santa helpers?) are hard at work assembling new RBT's for our GT40's! It seems like only yesterday, but in fact it was 11 months ago, when the order was placed but now all is forgiven, this weekend the Roush 427 IR will make some noise and we will know if the entire deal is worth the price of admission.
For those who are still waiting and have begun to think that you will have to adapt a gearbox from Hyundai Excel to fit your GT take heart, here are pictures of what a ZF looks like in the flesh.
Dave

Attachments

• PICT1556.JPG
    PICT1556.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 1,320
  • PICT1555.JPG
    PICT1555.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,324
  • PICT1554.JPG
    PICT1554.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,416
Spyder Mike, thanks for the landscaping advice but I went one step further, 4500 sg ft of artificial turf, I don't need no stinkin' sprinklers now!
Dave

It's Alive!
Started up first time and runs great, I made a video but I don't know how to post one to the site.
Nothing like a big V8 running thru open headers to get your heart rate up.
Dave

How about some updates? Would like some more info on where the a/c and heater lines were originally and what you did to reroute.

Thanks

Eric, well done! The video runs fine.
Cashburn, the heater hoses on a CAV come out the right side of the tub below the alternator (where the compressor is on the Roush) and the AC compressor on a CAV is mounted in front of the left cyl head. The AC hoses come out the top of the tub(on a CAV) and are rerouted to come out of the inside of the tub behind the water pump inlet pipe and run across the front of the engine at the bottom of the firewall over to the compressor.
None of this was very difficult and it makes for a clean installation.
Dave

Back