New info on tyres on 15 inch rims

G

Malcolm,
I already have a set in stock but i am in two minds whether to use them or not. They are totally road legal and the 245s will safely go on a 10" wide rim but i would,nt want to get caught out in heavy rain with them as they are just a continuous tread with no radial bleed to lose water. However i can confirm that they have been used successfully on road going 40s. Shop around as mine were cheaper although i did buy them last year at the same time as buying 6 sets of P7s!!!!!!
Regards,
Graham @ GTA.

G

A friend just emailed me his findings from looking for tyres for his Cobra replica. It may translate to Gt40s depending on what you are wanting. He writes

"There are now available from Avon the CR6ZZ in 225/65 x 15 and 245/65 x 15. Soft (recommended race only) or medium compound (recommended for road) and, wait for it, both are ROAD LEGAL.

..... Cost about £143 for the 225 and £152 for the 245. Contact Steve at HP Tyres, Silverstone on 01327 857000.

Say thank you to Uncle Ian."

I phoned HP and spoke with Steve. I think these tyres have been made to allow early GT40's to use them legally in road rallies aoround Europe and for pre 1966 racing. So if you are happy with a narrower rear tyre than is normally expected, then these could work for you. At least they could be a last resort!

Malcolm

I could possibly get some BF Goodrich Comp T/A R1 in 225/60 15 and 255/60 15. I believe they are road legal too and are Z-rated. I believe they are fairly soft compound and have only about 6mm tread (something like 1/4 inch for the US folks).
Question: Has anyone out there used them, what are they like, how do they grip and how long do they last? Same with the Avon's which Malcolm mentioned.
Are 245 or 255 wide tyres suitable for 10" wide wheels?

That's great new for those who have not got mad with power! But I needed something with more grip.

I am biting the bullet and going for a 16inch rim with a 255/50 YOKOHAMA A032R. Soft and modern! And maybe next year I will look at the Hossier 275/45.

We'll have to wait and see how they fair.

Regards,

J.P

I just put road Cooper Cobra on my car for 15'wheels.
Looks very good but had not yet the opoortunity to test them on the road.

Front: 215x60x15 Euro/pc 280 (incl VAT)
Rear: 265x50x15 Euro/pc 365 ( " )

The guy is importing them from the US together with someone in UK.
If someone interested in Europe,pls email me and I can give supplier in UK or Belgium.

G

I used ZR1 Goodrichs as mentioned above for two years. Basically 1 set a year. They are very soft (00 treadwear rating) which translated to under 2000 miles before baldness set in. They only had 4 mm tread to start with! Corvette owners club secured teh rights to the tyre and so it became generally unavailable in UK. It gripped but was a heavy tyre.

Pleased to hear there is a 255 width on the Avonsas well as 245. GTD standard used to be 265 but with a 50 profile not 65. As to rain use, not many tyres make me comfortable in the wet so I tend to slow up! Obviously not what you want to do, GTA, when racing!

Malcolm

I guess the Avons would probably be very similar in wear compared to the BF Goodrich ZR1's since they are basically road legal race tyres, at least as far as the compounds are concerned. I would be particularly interested in opinions from people who have used them. Also, would the sizes mentioned be suitable for 10" wide wheels? The published rim width for the ZR1's goes only to 9.5".
With so many GTD's on the road, and I imagine a large number runs 15" wheels, there should be more people around running these tyres.
My pre-loved GTD has the standard BF Goodrich 265/50 15 fitted with heaps of tread left. They probably last forever but are no fun due to the low grip.
Any more experience with The Avons or the ZR1's?
BTW, I found the ZR1's in Australia and I am presently looking into the cost side.

Just spoke to a guy at STS Wheels in Strood, Kent.He has the Avons listed under a different code but tells me they are the same as Malcolm suggests and are ZR rated and can supply them for £112.02 inclusive for the 255/65 x 15.

Back