New Look for GT40s.com

Ron Earp

Admin
Glad you like it guys , we'll be tweaking it over the coming weeks - colors, maybe graphics if we can ever get a Gulf colored car with the right angle/detail. That was the problem this go around is we were waiting to find the right shot. I found a couple, but emailed the owners about using them and never got a response. Some kind folks emailed me some Gulf pictures but in the end the photos had flaws and problems and couldn't be used.

For Brian and others that don't like the new digs, shortlythere will be a "low res" mono version available. It won't have the graphics and menus like this skin does. You'll be able to select it from your User CP.

I hope it spices things up, makes the site more attractive, and will continue to attract new users. Thanks to all of you for making the site what it is!!!

Ron

Ron,

The forum looks great, not to say it did not look good before. It really impressed me when I first signed on today.

Your work and dedication is apparent.

I can only say Thank you!

Ron, the new look is very sharp. Thanks for all the effort you put into this forum, it makes it a really dynamic meeting point.

Regards

Dalton

Ron & "helpers"
New Site looks great. Takes me all my time to just peruse the Site so I do appreciate the time & effort you put in making it easier for us to enjoy.
Pinky

Well, hear ya go.

Change something, and some people like it....and some people don't. Most people will warm up to it eventually....even the ones that are not too keen on it now. That's usually the way it goes.

But then, I have trouble seeing why people put 17" wheels on GT40s, and modern fancy stuff. Sure, I know their are technical and safety gains with those changes. But for me, changes to the web site are easier to accept that 17" wheels.

Ron, keep it up. I think you did good. Hey, this "outside the box" stuff is all good.

Gary Kadrmas

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Ron it appears the hyperlinks with the "paths" for threads has disappeared with the new look.

Used to be, when you're viewing a thread, there was a link toward the top of the page which showed the complete path to that thread, and you could click on any "upper" level from within that thread to go to that level. This was very handy for navigating around.

Attached is a pic from another forum that I visit, still with the old look, showing the path link outlined in a red rectangle.

Any chance of getting this back?

TIA,

John

Attachments

• Pathlink (Small).JPG
    Pathlink (Small).JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Ron, it looks great, and your doing a superb job. Much appreciated.

Two things though:
1) any way you can get the posts to expand to fit the width of the screen ?
I see it as a narrowish post, only occupying maybe 60% of my screen
width when I maximise the window...
2) when people post images, as JohnC has done above, this extends past
the right side of the white background.
3) anything you can do to make the posters details take up less height ?
this seems to drive the height of each post, often more so than the actual post content does. If we could shrink this somehow, or an option to hide the info unless enabled (or hovered over with mouse maybe?) then more posts would fit on a screen. A small thing, but makes it much easier to read.
4) can you teach me to count :D

Cheers,
John.

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Did we lose some real estate with the new look? I thought 800x600 used to fit on the screens fine without having to scroll to the right.

I just changed the resolution of that attachment to 640 x 480 and it fits OK now.

Nice one John. trouble is, all the old pictures in posts still hang off the right edge, just as Alex's does above. ;)

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
John C. and Ron,

I like the new look a lot! The photo that you supplied, Alex, is perfect, model or not, because that is what the majority of the world envisions when they think of a GT40. It is also at the precise angle that Ron was looking for.

John, I agree about the path links, I used them all of the time, especially when returning after submitting a reply (I really don't like using the back button through my reply edit screen.)

For now, while the new interface is being tweeked, I am using the "Forum Jump" tool at the bottom right of the screen. This lets you do pretty much the same thing; although, Ron, I did notice a couple of the section headings give you an error message: Technical Forums and Manuf's Corner result in "invalid forum" message.

Lynn

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Graeme,

Think slightly smaller and motorized :). Note that I added the original unretouched photo with some reference items in the background to my earlier post in this thread.

Regards,

Al

Graeme Hitchell said:
Wouldn't be 1/12th scale GMP by ant chance?

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Fellows,

We've got a good programmer who is working on tweaking the issues here and there. I think once through everything will be sorted well and we'll have a very nice looking and very nice functioning forum. I'm not the guy that "does the work" as it were, I just manage, oversee, and make sure it gets done.

There is a lot more with the forum I wish to do and get done by the end of the month. But even if you aren't doing the dirty work, the managing of the work takes a good bit of time too. I think I can get it done, but we shall see.

Many thanks to Al for pulling off the picture shot to get us through version 1.0!! I actually like it just fine. I'd have preferred a real photo, but we couldn't locate one we could use in a timely manner. I'd love to have one or a painted picture for the forum, that would be classy! Anyone want to offer to sketch one up? We had the ability to use the old oil from the old forum but I can't seem to locate that picture now, nor the author.

Anyhow, we'll keep tweaking. As for size, the forum is designed to run on 1024x768. So, if you are using a larger screen like 1600x1200 it'll be smaller than your screen for sure. 1024x768 was the best size that came out of that poll I did many months ago (remember that?) and it was split there or at one step higher. So, I chose the lower of the two.

Ron

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Ron, I'm running 1024x768 resolution on my laptop and the forum fills my screen.

That attachment that I posted earlier was sized to 800x600 and it overran the screen. When I resized it to 640x480 it fit fine.

I thought 800x600 photos used to fit OK?

Ron Earp

Admin
No, the photo limit has and should be 640x480. Part of it was bandwidth, part was just design. There are still some forums that have the limit set incorrectly, and some User Groups that have the limit set incorrectly. I need to fix that, but it was low on the priority list until now. With the new format it really shows up when one of the photos "jumps out".

Ron

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Gotcha; you might want to have the software guy modify the settings on the attachment page to limit the maximum allowable resolution of the JPEG's to be 640x480, like the gif's & bmp's. Currently the JPEG's are set at 800x600, maximum.

Attachments

• Attachments (Small).JPG
    Attachments (Small).JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 284

Ron Earp

Admin
That stuff I do and handle, that is all part of admin stuff. I had it there for a reason, and I can't remember what he reason was. At any rate, the old forum was tolerant of it but the new one is not.

Ron

Ron,

I really like the new layout, nice job

Al,

Might the car be a scalextric slot car. Here are a couple of mine.

Attachments

• slot_cars.jpg
    slot_cars.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 280
Back