Norfolk Tornado

Ditto on the luggage box.....:thumbsup:..good to see an example.
I am planning to build similar for my project. Having a few simple tools and some oil/brake fluid on board will give me some piece of mind on longer trips.
 
Hi Nick,
The duct elbow was made from a single piece of aluminium. I worked our the shape in CAD (Cardboard Aided Design!) and then bent it up using my vice
Rgds,
Andy
 

Nick

Supporter
Hi Nick,
The duct elbow was made from a single piece of aluminium. I worked our the shape in CAD (Cardboard Aided Design!) and then bent it up using my vice
Rgds,
Andy
Thanks Andy,

I will try the same but hopefully not my usual CRAP design.
 

Bob Jones

Supporter
Wish I could have got there to see it Andy.
Your build was one those that really spurred me into action.
Looks great. Well done.
 
I was out with a local photographer who specialises in motorsport and automotive over the weekend, which resulted in the following dramatic shots, which I’m really pleased with. He already posted them on a digital photography site and won the weekly award for the best image.
 
Hi all,
Time to post on a few updates. I spent the last 6 months giving my workshop a major revamp. It’s gone from a working space of 1 to 4 cars, with lots of lighting, sockets and insulation. I used an industrial roof cladding with 80mm of foam between the skins and from original build nearly 20 years ago, I was able to reuse a lot of the cladding and timbers. The grey lower panels are concrete panels from an old garage we dismantled years ago and re-used by nailing them onto to wooden trusses. There’s still some more to be done once the weather warms up, but it great to have a warm dry space to work on the ‘40
Regards,
Andy
 

Attachments

Back to the ’40, the dash has been out to repaint it and a few minor mods on the dash wiring harness. I also finished off some changes to improve the ventilation. My heater unit has 3 outlets, 2 plumbed to the face vents and 1 to the screen. What I found was when using heater on early morning blasts, my legs were getting cold.

To get over this I added a diverter valve into the feed to the screen. A simple duct was them made from plastic sheet and a hot melt glue to direct air into the footwells. This all tucks up behind the dash and old choke cable is used to operate the valve. This works really well, especially when using A/C on a hot day, which is a bonus

I also fitted some LED bulbs to the rear and front side lights. Personally I couldn’t tell the difference apart from the front indicators, which have made a huge difference and the front side lights now a cool blue hue to them

A new slave cylinder seal was fitted after it gave up the ghost when trying to remove it from the stand at the NEC. No obvious reason why the seal failed, but I suspect it’s the quality of the rubber used in a pattern part that I was using.

I fabricated a rear belly pan to tidy up the rear end. It doesn’t really follow the lines of the rear clam in side profile, as it would mean re-positioning a cross member on the chassis. I’m not sure of its aesthetics, so it may be removed.
Regards
Andy
 

Attachments

Inspired by JimmyMac’s recent posting gear knobs, I thought I’d have a go at making one. Using the GT logo cut from a key ring, I made a knurled brass insert with was first glued into my lump of wood. The prototype was a carefully selected out of the basket for the wood burner, whilst the final one was made from mahogany and finished with teak oil.
Never tried wood turning before and quite pleased with the end result.

Regards
Andy
 

Attachments

A combination of holidays and business trips has meant that I’ve not worked the car for over a couple of months, so it was really good to get a few hours in on the car over the weekend. However the time was not gone to waste, still collecting parts, which included getting some strange looks from airport officials as I brought a pair of aluminum cylinder heads back from the US with me :laugh:

Although I’d previously spent a few hours making the intermediate steering coupling, this has now been scrapped as I decided to fit electric power-steering unit.

The unit I’m using is off a 2001-06 Vauxhall Corsa (Corsa C) and an interface unit is readily available (from Ebay) to vary the amount of assistance the motor gives. Whether the car needs it I’m not sure, but it is easier to fit it at this stage than trying to get it in later.

For those of you worried about getting the car through the SVA test in relation to the collapsible section, the good news is that the Corsa column has an integral collapsible section. I’ve mounted mine to take advantage of this, the upper mount supports the collapsible section (although this may not be needed) and the 2 lower mounts, which are amore rigid support the main body. It’s also worth getting the intermediate column section, as this has a splined sleeve making it length adjustable and is then easily adapted to the Ford spline on the rack

Regards
Andy
I’m going to use a corsa c column on the gt forte is about to start building. How did you lock of the adjustable height and what did you do to extend the shaft to the steering wheel. Cheers in advance Phil
 
Top