nose lift systems? anyone have experience?

I never stated anything as fact I made comments that I thought might be an issue with the system.

I didnt feel you explained it in any detail at all ,it is just an overview and basic at that.
I did post my tech reasons but I deleted it as I didnt feel I had to justify myself.

I stated that the swaybar will be taking the full weight of the car.
You made comments about lifting it 1/8 and ¼ “ and im not lifting the total weight, you are correct I already know that

If the front of the car weighs 1320lb that gives a corner weight of 660lb.
Our front springs are 660lb that means the car is sitting down 1” on the springs .
As you come up every ¼” you will decrease the load off the springs by 25% until you reach the 1” required lift.
At the 1”you are carrying the full front weight because you are off the springs ,it is just simple high school math, I don’t know why you didn’t get my point.
This is all at 1” lift if you want to go more you will be off the spring completely.
Talking in anything under 1" is a waist of time because why would you be doing it.

The bar is loaded with 1320lb, But for every ¼” you go down the springs come into play by 25% of the rate.
It would have to be worked out that the bar rate is capable of lifting instead of controlling just the roll stiffness.

If you wanted a bar setting on the stiffer side and the links are on say a 30-40deg angle when you lift the car on the bar, the bar will push down and the link angles will increase to the point the links will go over centre and the car will drop like a stone.
That is the compromising of the sway bar that I was talking about, it has to run a link setting to suit the lift not the roll stiffness.
The links are not that large 8mm, I don’t think you would support 660lb going over bumps.
The brackets will be different if you have a decoupler in the bar it will probably require 2 brackets on each 1/2 bar

I don’t see any inconsistency in my comments of the so called basic mechanical knowledge.
If any thing these are points that could cause major issues.

If you disconnected a front swaybar and put a jack under it at the end and lift the car off the ground via the swaybar at its end I think you might be surprised how far the bar deflects.
That could be another experiment.

As I stated I felt areas would require experimentation, you claimed it basic high school physics.
I have made that much stuff for myself and clients over the years I don’t remember half of them, not everything can be worked out on paper.

I think David’s Idea is not a bad one and that is all it is an idea.
But it is trying to use the swaybar as a torsion bar ,and it may require some experimentation.

I have spent every single working day for the last 35 years working on cars,
So I think I may have some basic mechanical knowledge.

You say there is nothing different about Davids theory ,I have never seen a car lifted by using its swaybar.
You only know the truth well you need to tell me the model it is fitted to.

I don’t even know why Im replying to this as it generally is not worth it.

Last edited:

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I have a RamLift Pro and it works nicely. Gives me about 2 inches extra clearance when I need it. I recommend their system.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
What size front ARB do people run?

Here are some basic data from my SPF GT40:

• ARB: .78" dia (20 mm), 32" long, 9" cast aluminum levers = ~164 lb/in (lever to lever).
  • Springs: .476" dia wire, 3.367" OD, 8 turns = ~375 lb/in
  • Suspension motion ratio = ~.75
Full wheel droop from static ride height: 3"

Using the Ram Lift Pro 1.25" ram system as a benchmark:

Let's assume for the moment that our actuator arm at the center of the ARB is also 9" long.

We can rough-analyze this looking at only one side at a time.

Extending one spring 1.25" reduces its load 468 lb. which the ARB lever then has to support. That means the ARB lever has to rotate ~468/328 = 1.43" inches along the circumference of its motion (we're twisting only one half of the ARB for each side so the ARB rate doubles to 328 lb/in). That's a rotation of 1.42/28.3*360 = 18 degrees.

We don't need the motion ratio except to observe that both systems raise the car 1.25/.75" = ~1.78". This would get my SPF GT40 over a 6-1/4" speed bump while using under 2/3 the available suspension travel thus incurring no binding, etc., that isn't already there.

If we have a clutch the actuator needs to supply ~900 lbf over a travel of ~1.5". Or we can use an 18" lever with a 450 lb actuator over 3", etc. More than that we probably have packaging problems.

With no clutch the actuator needs substantially more travel in order to get out of the way of the center lever when it's not being used to lift the car because the lever will be swinging with the full suspension travel of the car i.e. something like 90 degrees.

Last edited:
I have a system on my car that uses rockers to push the top of the shock mounts down. The rocker is connected to the chassis and the shock to the rocker. It rests on a a solid stop when down. I use a hydraulic ram from an outboard motor power tilt unit, and use the same pump. The ram is attached to one rocker. There is a pullrod going from one rocker to the other rocker on the other wheel side to push the shock mount down at the same rate. The hydraulic ram is a double acting type and the associated pump and body locks the ram in what ever position you stop it in. In practice I can go from 100mm front ride height to 270mm height, but have limit switches that will stop the height at around 200mm - more than enough to clear driveways. It auto drops down and locks against the stop and held there by pressure, when the vehicle is taken out of 1st gear (it will only work in 1st and reverse gears) or lowered manually.

This system allows full use of the normal suspension travel too without any binding.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I have a system on my car that uses rockers to push the top of the shock mounts down. The rocker is connected to the chassis and the shock to the rocker. It rests on a a solid stop when down. I use a hydraulic ram from an outboard motor power tilt unit, and use the same pump. The ram is attached to one rocker. .

That sounds cool. Who makes the rams and pumps?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have seen the ram lift pro in action at last years Monterey event, its awesome! I plan on installing something like this before any cross country travel.

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Guys in preparation for installing a Ramliftpro system, I need some shorter springs on my non-GT40 car.

Currently my coilover springs have a free height of 10 3/4", and are 5" OD and 4" ID (I know - very odd diameters for coilovers) and have spring rates of 300-310 lbf/in.

I'd like to get a set of springs that are 2" shorter, so I'm looking for some 8 3/4" springs with all the same characteristics as above.

Can anyone recommend a good spring winder? I've tried Eibach, Ground Control, Performance Shock, Cannon Racetech, and Eaton Detroit. The diameter of these springs seems to be the stumbling block for most.

TIA

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Great tip Bram, thanks.

Peter Faulkner & I have exchanged several emails and phone conversations now. He's a wealth of info and his springs are very fairly priced. He can wind nearly any spring I want with any free length and rate (within reason of course) for less than $200 for the pair. Brilliant!

Attachments

• carlift.jpg
    carlift.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 246
  • linearactuator.jpg
    linearactuator.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys, I found this recently, and a linear actuator seems the way to go, they are not expensive and will easily lift the weight required.
Login

Since that site apparently requires human-approved registration, any chance you could post a link to the product or manufacturer itself?

Thanks!

HI Allan, the supplier mentioned was these guys,
1000 lbs Force - Linear Actuators, Linear Motors, Micro motors, Electric Motors or ebay was another choice, the mechanism shown with the retractable wheels only had these details attached ,so i guess it would be easy to make, the direct to lower arm option had a 1000lb LA and the retractable version was suggesting about a 240lb, might have to do the math on that through, hope this from the site helps.
quote from Murcie-me
I have dual 6" 800lb actuators on my car for the front lift. They work fine, but do take 4-5 seconds to fully lift, and 4-5 seconds to retract. It doesnt seem like a long time, but it feels like it sometimes.
I have seen several people put front rollers on their cars to keep the spoiler from scraping going up driveways. The problem is, in order for the rollers to be really functional, they need to hang at least 1 1/2" below the spoiler, and as close to the front of the car as possible. Its not hard to mount them like that, but the drawback is seeing those wheels hanging down (even though it just 1.5") from under the spoiler.
I came up with a system to make the wheels retract up into the chassis when not needed, then extend all the way to the ground (instead of 1.5") and lock into place when needed. This system with the rollers (HD castors) is good because it lifts the chassis, and the clearence you get under the spoiler is the same as the ride height of the car normally, meaning the spoiler never even comes close to hitting when going up steep inclines. Its a really trick system, and can be built and installed for well under $100 with the L/A included. I can post drawings if anyone is interested in doing it, its a really affordable alternative to mounting the L/A's to the control arms, and all the mechanics necessary to do it.
Heres the basic principal. As the L/A pushes forward, the lower arm with the wheel goes down into its position. When the L/A has reached full forward, there is a stop on the lower arm of the scissor assembly to keep the 2 arms alligned and straight. At this point, its a staright shot from the wheel to the frame (as far as load is concerned), and all the weight that is lifted is transfered to the chassis.
This is not meant to lift the weight of the car, its meant to lower a pair of castors well below the bottom of the spoiler. There would be 2 of these assemblies, side by side, about 30" appart (or whatever the dimension is between the chassis rails)
The L/A could be 12" 240lb, moving at 60mm/sec. It would be able to move this carriage from full up to full down in about 2.5 seconds, and then down to up in the same time. This system could support 2 tons easily,provided the wheels are rated for that weight.
The site is well worth signing up to, and you don't get hit with spam mail etc i have learnt a lot there they are mainly into building Lambo replicars, also here is another useful site with some good info.

Technical Discussion & Question
Regards
Graeme

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Very clever and clean... thanks! And thanks for the forum and supplier pointers.

And the writeup makes me think of a little bit of heresy that might work. Thinking about speed bumps: what if one uses an actuator like yours bearing directly on the lower control arms (both ends of the car)? In that mode the car would have a "solid suspension" but as long as you went slowly and the actuators could take the additional dynamic load.... In other words, use the car's wheels as the "casters". This gets rid of the commerical lift system's requirement that you disassemble and modify the spring/shock unit and means that in normal use, as long as the actuator is completely out of the way, the car's suspension is completely original. Being based on $229 actuators is way cheaper. And it works at the rear whereas the caster idea might leave you "high centered" on the speed bump with the rear wheels spinning.

Last edited:
Back