O1E 6 speed

I have one in my BEC GT40 and it has functioned well for three years. My car has a well-built 289 SBF with close to 400 hp. I drive my car sensibly (i.e., I don't rev the engine and dump the clutch, but I do get on it).
Larry

I have one in my BEC GT40 and it has functioned well for three years. My car has a well-built 289 SBF with close to 400 hp. I drive my car sensibly (i.e., I don't rev the engine and dump the clutch, but I do get on it).
Larry
can you give me a length from the bell housing to end, i wanna make sure it aint to long compared to the 016

I have an O1E in my car which makes over 700hp at the rear tyres. The box holds up very well with the only sign of stress was the gearbox mounts tearing which we have upgraded since. One thing I did find is that the box didn't like changing gears above 6 grand but that could have been the oil which I was using (audi oil) and was told that the Redline oil would be a better choice.
I have since build a custom straight cut dog gear set for the box and when we took the old gears out, they showed very little wear. The reason I went with the straight cut dog set was for quicker gear changes and better gearing as the gearing wasn't ideal for my setup.

The 01E came in 2 "versions" an all wheel drive unit and a front wheel drive unit. Any part on the mainshaft can be interchanged. Parts on the output shaft and ring and pinion are not interchangeable between the FWD and AWD unit.

A few details about the FWD 01E.

They came in essentially 2 ratios sets, a close ratio and wide ratio used behind diesels. Close ratios are very rare being used for about 1 model year.

The highest horsepower car i know of that uses the 01E is a 850 wheel horsepower Audi S4. There is a 950 WHP S4 in Poland that runs custom internals.

The highest horsepower car that has one of our boxes in in the 700's at last dyno session.

The 01E is slightly larger than the 016, I don't have an 016 to measure but can supply measurements.

Scott, thank you, that's very helpful 01E seems like a decent box.

1. Do you happen to know what Audis the 01Es came in?
2. Was the FWD 01E only available in European Audis? Or did this transaxle come to the US in some Audi?

Thanks!

The 01E only came to the USA in All wheel drive format. With the exception of the Porsche 968 (which will not work behind an engine) all 2 wheel drive 01E's were European market.

What is the overall length of the 01E? Someone asked this eariler but it was never posted? Also, do all the 01E's have the same gearing (gas, diesel)? Thanks
Steve

Last edited:

That site is a poor reference, there are quite a bit of errors, and little information on the 2 wheel drive version of the 01E.

What is the overall length of the 01E? Someone asked this eariler but it was never posted? Also, do all the 01E's have the same gearing (gas, diesel)? Thanks
Steve

There are 2 sets of ratios, a close ratio used behind a gas engine, and a wide ratio behind a diesel.The close ratio being very very rare.

The FWD 01E has a length (from bell housing mounting surface to end) is 26.5 inches.

Last edited:

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
I'd be interested to know what hi po clutches to use in these things --or -- a source to tech info --mount bolt and stack height dimensions, input shaft spline dets etc etc :worried:

Scott, thank you, that's very helpful 01E seems like a decent box.

1. Do you happen to know what Audis the 01Es came in?
2. Was the FWD 01E only available in European Audis? Or did this transaxle come to the US in some Audi?

Thanks!

The 2 wheel drive version of the 01E was fitted to the front wheel drive Audi A8. This version of the A8 was never sold in the UK as all A8s sold here were automatics - presumably the same for the US. I ordered a new one from an Audi dealer and it arrived in about a week.

The ratios aren't bad for a GT40 except for first gear, which is too low but useful for trickling along in heavy traffic. 6th gear works out at 190 mph at 6,000 rpm - so you won't be under geared in top! The box is slightly longer than 5 speed boxes and on my car anyway requires a small cutout at the bottom of the rear clip, which is hardly noticeable unless you are lying on the ground at the rear of the car.

Chris

It sounds like the o1e isn't readily available in the U.S.. What kind of HP will the o16 handle. Who makes an adaptor plate for the o16 to a small block Ford? Thank-you for any replies

I think KEP makes an adapter plate (or at least for 016) and another user on here (if you search the "who uses what transaxle in their gt40" thread). Maybe it was Flatchat (a few posts above) or he does'em for the 016. Might be same bolt pattern, I dunno?

Chris, may I ask what was the cost of that 01E you bought from the dealer?

Back