original GT40 Sbarro

Il manque trop d'alu ,cette jante était très abimer ;ils ont sortie trop de matière:huh:

Attachments

• IMGP0004 - Copie.jpg
    IMGP0004 - Copie.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 489
May I help for translation, and add few details to the story...

Serge means that the guys who restored his wheels (aluminum) machined one of them a little bit too much, as it was in poor condition.

Setting back the old tires on the wheels, just to move the car more easily in the workshop, made a hole in one of the rims...! After careful checking the rim section of that wheel, appears now being far too thin (1mm left only !).

Better for Serge to realize that weakness in the worksohp, than in the middle of a hard cornering...

These wheels, now only considered as decorative items, will fit nice on the workshop wall... Looking for a brand new set, by now.

Hi Costa

Thank you for continuing to share your story with us. I am really interested in this, as I am sure the vast majority of people are, who visit this forum.

Looking forward to many photos of your build, with details of the "fun" you are having.

Regards

Stephen

Hi all,

As my garage is definitively too small and dusty, few days ago, I decided to move the GT in a new facility, more adapted to the works still to be done. This workshop, as large as a cathedral, belongs to my friend Michel, who also built a GT40 out of a Marcadier kit (French light GT40 replica kit, normally fitted with a V6 PRV usually fitted), highly modified to handle some good V8 power. It is to mention that he also built the whole facility himself, alone from scratch ! See the pics to appreciate

Attachments

• 20141018_112945.jpg
    20141018_112945.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 544
This new place is more adapted, more secured (there is some nice Fi and Formula Ford ex-Prost stored, among some classic farm tractors), and above all, well have here the heavy tools we need to put the engine and gearbox back in the car ASAP.

Attachments

• 20141018_112931.jpg
    20141018_112931.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 492
For now,at last after being 20years stored into parts in many boxes,the GT is back on its wheels!Isn't she lovery(forget about the wrong tires,only for built purpose).
I aslo modified the front hood into a single nostril shape,to be correct with a late version MKI I'm replicating,restored the dash,replacing gauges and lights in right place.(I was fortunate enough to dicover that few oh my gauges,among some orthers parts,were rare period original ones,adsolutely specific to GT40s).

Last edited:
I consider I've achieved the most difficult task,redone the brake lines,the engine mount,fabricated and machned the missing parts I couldn't get from the spécialized suppliers,and countless others parts modified,redone or restored.
I'm still fighting with the wiring loom,but I've good hope that on next spring,the GT will be on the road again,and hopefully back on some fast track.
I have to thanks my friends for their good support in that rebuild projet.I know well that F.Sbarro is some of controversial figure in the GT40 world,but I can testimony that,from a pure technical point of view,this car he produced is oh very high quality,perfectly well engineered.
For my part,and far from any controversy,as a simple gearhead guy,I have great pleasure to turn wrenches on such a car.Thanks to the people encouraging me on this thread,as I've had some hard moments of despair in the past.
I'm on the good way now,I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! in few months,she'II be roaring back again

Attachments

• 20141025_100926.jpg
    20141025_100926.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 606
  • 20141018_112916.jpg
    20141018_112916.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
other pictures

Attachments

• 20141025_101218.jpg
    20141025_101218.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 526
  • 20141025_100936.jpg
    20141025_100936.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 457
  • 20141025_101207.jpg
    20141025_101207.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 553
  • IMGP0071.JPG
    IMGP0071.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 419
  • 20141025_101816.jpg
    20141025_101816.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Exciting stuff congrats. The tires appear to be undersized for the width of the rims?

Hello Serge ,

Glad to see that the pictures files are now managed by the forum ....

Absolutly impressive views with the big rims ...But the more impressive is to know that this build is absolutly identical to original, including genuine parts...

Keep the good work ...

René

Keith

Hello, good to see some good progress on the car.

Tell me, with the benefit of such a period correct chassis & parts, why did you choose to use a modern motor? Perhaps it may have been difficult to obtain a 289 with Webers, but not impossible...

Just curious, of course you must build it the way you want it! :thumbsup:

PL thank you for the pictures of girling calipers
A 289 FIA compliant motor costs a lot of money, especially the hard to find cylinder heads. Rebuilding this car made a hole in my bank account. But, later, if I get a chance, I will put back in a more original motor.
serge

Last edited:
I have to add that, with Serge we found evidences that the car was originally fitted with a real period correct GT40 289 engine, and we are sure it had initially a 4 bolts dash-1 ZF.
When Serge bought the car, engine and gearbox were missing. Now they are probably powering a splendid and expensive FIA compliant GT40 clone...

I know at least another Sbarro, which lost its original engine the same way...

Here are some photos, Girling front brake in place, the steering column as the lock doors are also in place.

Attachments

• IMGP0078.JPG
    IMGP0078.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 505
  • IMGP0081.JPG
    IMGP0081.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 453
  • IMGP0083.JPG
    IMGP0083.JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 490
Some update, on behalf of Serge...

"Today morning, I wake up early, happy of this nice day to come, not even cold, altought we're in mid december...
icon_rolleyes.gif

All is ready this morning, for the engine now to take place in the GT.

There's theory, and real life, I'm gonna see there's a difference... After deciding with my friend Michel of the best strategy, I' m strapping the engine and lifting it up (notice our nice jack...)
Wow :eek:, huge engine and gearbox, will it really fit in that small engine bay ? :sweatdrop:

Well, first attempt : it doesn't want go in ! We put it back, and try again inclining the engine little bit more... No way !:furious:
The all morning is spent in few attempts, pushing, pulling... with no result.

After a quick lunch, and a glass of some revitalizing typical french red beverage :drunk:, we decided to pull off the distributor and intake manifold with the EFI faux-weber.
We incline the engine quite more, and ... it's in !:thumbsup:

I remember one of my other friend, who has pull off is engine 2 or 3 times alone (and a bigger engine than mine) I wonder how he has done that ! Not to think about big block guys...

Now the engine sits restfully, shoehorned in its new home.

Time to bolt up it on the engine mounts, and place back the manifold and EFI, just for mock-up and the look of it.

A great step forward !"

My Sbarro replica is finally finished, I have to make engine adjustments.
After 4 years of research work and discouragement parfoit what a pleasure to have done the first laps.
I made a copy of the 1079 I still have to do some mofification to be even closer to the originale.Je am thanked "Pilouleshublots" that my help and my much encouraged in difficiles.Je times attached a link to my complete restoration.
Cobra - Forum Cobra - GT40 - Shelby - Forum 427 Racing • Consulter le sujet - GT40 Sbarro
Thank you to all of you.

Attachments

• P1020092.JPG
    P1020092.JPG
    309.7 KB · Views: 473
  • P1020091.JPG
    P1020091.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 411
  • P1020093.JPG
    P1020093.JPG
    301.9 KB · Views: 410
  • P1020095.JPG
    P1020095.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations the car looks fantastic.
Will it be at Le Mans Classic? I do hope so and would love to see it in real life

Regards
Ian

Back