Overnight Touring with a GT40

Pat

Supporter
I've read several posts from forum members that have traveled significant distance in their 40's. How do you handle the simple logistics of luggage, locking up your car at the hotel/event etc.? What do you do if you get a flat tire? (runflats?)
I've met several owners at events and they all somehow seemed to have acquired clean clothes and a shave, so there must be a way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Any discussion of how you travel would really be interesting. It would seem to me that weekend country touring would be a great way to enjoy the car.

Regards,
Veek

You fit it where ever you can. That means that you carry soft bags only and you squeeze them into tight places. Fortunately I have never carried a passenger on a long journey that has complained about the bags in their foot well. I have found that Triumph Motorcycles make a good triangular carry bag that fits nicely in the foot well.

The “floor” above the fuel tanks is a good spot to carry a light coat, and it’s amazing how much you can carry in the doors. Of course, you can forget taking your favourite dinner suit, and make sure that your destination has an iron available.

Having said that, I have also toured on a motorcycle and found that I can carry less in one GT40 (with two people) than two motorcycles with panniers (saddle bags).

As for locking up your car, I am still a little paranoid about this too. The best advice I can give here is to always ring around until you find a motor-inn that will allow you to park the car directly outside your door, and to make sure that they can provide you with a room where the car can’t be seen from the street. Make sure that you quiz them fearlessly on the phone to ensure that they are not talking up the situation.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Send her by train with your suitcase ( in advance ie the day before) , and ask her to book into a single room when she arrives (saving in Europe equates to approximately a tank of fuel either side). Explain to her it's a business meeting scheduled for the next night and she would be better off going to the cinema or a play or the opera etc., Carry a few papers/documents files as you walk out of the hotel. Drive off and dump them. For security at night, leave her sitting in the car especially if she's is or has become blond. Nobody would want to assume the responsibilty.
Take your steering wheel off and keep it with you. Saves her playing racing drivers all night and keeping everybody awake.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Dave M

the original cars did have luggage comparts - a primative boot - either side of the exhaust mufflers - these can be fabricated and a guy i know has done it to his - see pic - all of the above is also a good idea![http://www.gt40.co.uk/gteng04.jpg]
as for parking - remove the steering wheel, sleep in the car!! possibly put a cover over her? install a tracker - PRAY!

Attachments

• 41618-gteng04.jpg
    41618-gteng04.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 387

Pat

Supporter
Thanks Dave, I would guess that you have not been married too long (to the same person) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ... or met my wife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great ideas on the soft luggage. My only concern about the luggage in the rear would be the heat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

V/R
Veek

I keep telling you guys you need one of these. The wife
loves it. She is even making the curtains for it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 41633-GT&TeardropRFview.jpg
    41633-GT&TeardropRFview.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 364
im told clothes come out pressed and warm! jsut make sure theres nothing heat volatile in there and you home free!

Pat

Supporter
Great idea Hersh, by chance do you have a photo as to how you've done the hitch?

V/R
Veek

[ QUOTE ]
Re what do you do about avoiding flat tyre/punctures.

PTRICK, Don't drive over nails or anything else that could puncture your tyres. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Veek,
I have done the hitch in such a way that when I drop the trailer I can temove the ball in seconds and open the rear clip with no problem. Most folks don't even realize I have a hitch.

Attachments

• 41765-Hitchandchains1.jpg
    41765-Hitchandchains1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 434
I had a similar problem when my son and I went down to Le Mans last weekend for the Classic. It was only a total of about 250 miles driving each way, but we had a night-stop before a Channel crossing of 5½ hours, as well as a stay of 4 nights in a hotel to prepare for.
The best places to store things are:
Under the front clip, in the odd-shaped space between the nostril and the servos/air horns (some people don't have air horns to make more space - I prefer to be able to warn truck drivers who haven't checked their mirrors properly!).
In the door pockets.
On the sill between the seat and the door.
Under the driver's and passenger's knees.
On the passenger's lap.
In addition to minimalist personal kit, I also took basic tools - spanners, screwdrivers, a set of plugs and spanner, wheel brace, tyre goo aerosol and a 12V air compressor - this last because I have a slight leak from one tyre which needs frequent checking.
One invaluable piece of kit, if you can find it, comprises a heavy plastic bag with an airtight seal at one end. The other end has a number of one-way valves. Put your kit in, seal the bag and roll it up tight. The air goes out through the valves and - instant vacuum-packing! Sweaters and soft clothes shrink amazingly. The main advantage though, is that you end up with a flat, low bag that fits snugly and very comfortably under the passenger's knees. Mine is called an 'Eagle Creek Pack-it Compressor Set'. I put all my stuff into just one of these, whereas my son had a couple of small rucksacks, which were a bit awkward because their round shape doesn't lend themselves to fitting into GT40 storage areas, which are mostly rectangular or flat.
Still, it was an interesting experience; my son said he was so comfortable in his 'coccoon' that a couple of times he chose to stay in the car when we stopped. Whether it was because of the aggro in unpacking/repacking or because he really was comfortable is debatable!
They say that a GT40 turns a journey into an adventure - the Le Mans trip was certainly that!

Pat

Supporter
Great suggestion Tony and Hersh, the photos are great.
Thanks for the input.

Veek

Hersh,
Once I got over howling with laughter at the thought of a GT40 towing a trailer, I was able to admire the sense of the idea and just how well executed the whole project is. It is awesome!
That said, the shape of the trailer is a perfect high-lift, low speed aerofoil. Is this a cunning plan to reduce road drag by towing a parasail at speeds above 30mph? Seriously, does the trailer produce noticeable lift?

Pat

Supporter
Good point Tony, I would assume that Hersh would keep the car below 150 with trailer attached. Of course, I would never have that problem given that the logistics requirements of my Frau. Actually, I would need dual wheels on the trailer to support the weight of her kit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I was also thinking with the GT40's rear vision how exciting it would be to back up. Still, it is an intriguing idea, especially in the very sanitary form in which Hersh executed it.
V/R
Veek

Guys,
Two test runs with the trailer and no problems. I reached 135 KPH with no problems. The trailer remained stable. I honestly could not tell I was towing it. I practiced backing down my driveway and it was surprizingly easy. The trailer is not as wide as the GT so that makes it easier.
Also when the trailer is unhooked one person can pick up the tongue and push it anywhere as it weighs about 425LBS and it's balanced well. The big surprize is how much room is inside for sleeping. We haven't had a chance to use it overnight yet but we tried it out and it's really nice. Of course the DVD and the A/C help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I would think you English blokes would love something like this. It sure solves alot of problems.

Attachments

• 41824-GT&Teardropfrontview.jpg
    41824-GT&Teardropfrontview.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 406

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hersh,
is this trailer something you fabricated or is a commercially available unit ? There may be a market for such a trailer here in Europe, and though there have been 'small' caravans with lift up roofs I havent seen something as neat as yours. Where on earth did you manage to put A/C on it and how do you power it - Honda 2.0? ?
Tongue in cheek have you got a galley or at least a ccol box in there as well?
Dave M

Dave

Try Quicksilver Trailers

Or to go even more retro, these are probably not quite GT40 material, but there are some cool retro caravans by Pod in the UK at Pod Caravans

This is a Pod caravan, at £4,500. This one's got a galley kitchen.

pcls20d1.jpg

Alternatively, for everything you ever needed to know about 'teardrop' trailers, visit Teardrops.net

Cheers

Rob

Back