Please tell me it's going to get better!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I am a fan of Top Gear, but lately the show has descended into an inane mish mash of puerile stunts. Last night Hammond, Clarkson and May were given the task of cutting cars up and turning them into stretch limos.
Hammond converted an MGB. The segment was, to coin a phrase, an insult to one's intelligence.
I believe that in Oz we get the show about 12 months after it is shown in the U.K. So I am hoping that you blokes that live there can tell me that Top gear does get back to its original concept of testing exotic cars.
Or should I get rid of my T.V.?:mad::dead:

I think you guys are under the mistaken belief it's a car show. It's NOT! it's an entertainment show that has some cars in now and again. Think of it that way and it's a MUCH better programme!

Simon

I hear, Pete, that it gets worse (I know) and is now not worth watching.
Pity, I used to enjoy it, especially when they did serious driving, had a good budget to do things we never seem to be able to do on TV out here, and they had the balls to say what they thought about a car. Didn't have to worry about pleading with the distributor for another demonstrator next year, etc.
Shame.
In fact, with so many car enthusiasts in Oz (including some very knowledgeable ones), why the hell don't we have an interesting motoring show on TV? Might be better than dancing or superstar quests.

There's a local version of Top Gear going into production later this year.

Given that it's on SBS the likelihood of a worthwhile budget is very low. In some respects, this could be a good thing.

Simon's right though, it's supposed to be entertainment with the cars as the major source, despite a notable decline with the most recent (2007) series to air here. I relate to May, but prefer Stig.

As an aside, anybody from anywhere except the antipodes care to guess what SBS means? I'll give you a hint, it's NOT "Salacious Bedroom Scenes".

Pete,

That episode was on here (US on BBC America) tonight and it was not one of their better efforts. I agree that it is more an entertainment show with a couple of cars thrown in for good measure. I still love the show, but I wish we got the newer episodes. I'm in London once or twice a month and able to catch a new one now and then. It is still one of the better shows. There is still one that I want to see and missed. Apparently, they set off across the southern US and it is quite an adventure. My boss (Welsh, but we don't hold it against him) said it was one of the best.

Mark,
The southern US one was extreme. Who but Top Gear would drive a vehicle across the south with MAN LOVE RULES painted in large letters on the side. Other slogans on the other two vehicles. Got quite nasty at a petrol station. You should get hold of the episode, but it's not great motoring. Bit of a "Boys' Own" adventure.

Back