Porsche 930 strength

I looked through all the posts and couldn't find the answer I am looking for. I apologize if this subject has been discussed prior.

I know the Porsche 930 trans is pretty tough. I know this is going to be a very open ended question, but just how tough is one? It's not going to be drag racer and I know how to shift.

I'm not a gentle driver though. I'm very agressive, I launch hard when I drive my street cars on a daily basis. I also am planning on 700+ hp from a large-ish displacement v8 with wide rear tires. Will a mostly stock 930 live? What upgrades do you recommend?

Aftermarket sideplate, should be good up to 700HP. Be mindful of the clutch choice.
Stanley? comment?

Aftermarket sideplate, should be good up to 700HP. Be mindful of the clutch choice.
Stanley? comment?

Would you recommend a weaker clutch as a safeguard?

Would inverting the trans affect strength in anyway? I wouldn't think so, but people here have far more experience than I do.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
If the tires are wrinkle-wall drag slicks, you may have a problem. I used 345 wide tires street tires, and traction was a problem (with the very limited driving time I had on the motor), or the safety valve, if you wish to look at it that way.

As Terry says, your tyres are the key to life, Most road tyres will let go before your trans does. If you are considering 15" wide slicks and 600+lbs of torque you can break anything if your rough with it. Look forward to your build. Cheers Leon.

Would you recommend a weaker clutch as a safeguard?

Would inverting the trans affect strength in anyway? I wouldn't think so, but people here have far more experience than I do.

Speak to Powerhaus they seem to have a handle on these boxes. The only mod I have seen on a 930 box was an external series of pipes pressure oiling the gear sets. As the above post suggest , you will be having traction/clutch problems before you destroy a box.

Bob

If the tires are wrinkle-wall drag slicks, you may have a problem. I used 345 wide tires street tires, and traction was a problem (with the very limited driving time I had on the motor), or the safety valve, if you wish to look at it that way.

What tire do you run? I'm looking for a 13" plus width and choices are slim unless I go slick or DOT drag tire

Micky Thompson make some really wide tyres and a good range of wheel sizes, only thing is they advertise the speed rating at only 130mph. if you are looking to go faster and do some track work you are into the high $$ exotic's and now days that means 17"+ rim which is heading away from the period look.

Cheers Leon

I am running the Nitto Extreme Drag radials. They are the NT555R.

P1010225.jpg

The size is 325/50/15 and are 13" across, 28tall and take a 10"rim.

P1010004.jpg

Have to add the Gulf flares to cover them.Here they are with the standard flares. Note the rear clip won't shut. Wheels are not aligned in this shot.

Picture119.jpg

I run the 245s on the front that are 24" tall and take an 8" rim.

P1010005.jpg

Hard to break them loose but have done it on occasion in first and second. I run the 930 stock gears and side plate.

Bill

Should we be seen to be encouraging such behaviour on a public highway? :worried:

Probably not but I am WAY guilty though. If I haven't done a burn out or had the rear end come around at least once during a commute I get bored.

Keith

Gotcha! :laugh:

With a nickname like Colonel Mustard - DILLIGAF?

Keep on keeping on, but, be a Safe Hooner. :)

Back