Porsche G50 03 gear change.

Hi everyone
Could anyone please show me a picture of an in situ gear change mechanism for a Porsche G50/03 The part of the gearbox at the back where the gear change shaft protrudes from the box. I haven't yet seen one and have no idea as to how it looks or the movements it makes. I have such a box ready to go and I believe for this kind of box one needs a cable type mechanism. Its the movement at the business end that I Can't visualize. Thanks all.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
There are a number of ways to do this --here is a local version that has a very positive feel and well proven --see rough :cry: sketch:-
Did the trans come with an adapter kit ?
Remember, that if you're using / building a Windsor motor --you'll need the flywheel for balancing with the engine (28oz, 50oz or neutral ? )

Attachments

• Picture 192.jpg
    Picture 192.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 416
Yes I see thanks Chris. The flexible cable takes care of the front to back movement and the solid rods take care of the rotational if I got that right. I'm sure all this will become much clearer as and when I start this thing. Thanks for the explanation in the meantime that's about %90 more than I knew before the post. As For the adaptor plate it looks like at this stage Ill be using an LS2.

Fred,
Take a look at Randy's(big foot) web site. He installed and modified the Brandwood shifter onto an 03. It is a clean setup. Just required a little tweaking.

Bill

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Fred
You might want to consider the side shift conversion by California Motor Sports which reduces the length of the gearbox and uses 2 morse cables which makes the routing of the cables much easier and does away with the solid linkages.

The all cable shift is very precise as there is no issues with linkage slap developing via all the bearings and belcranks.

You can then run the cables in any direction around all obstacles and you dont' need to worry about the complicated rods and levers.

I have detailed photos of the cable setup in my build thread as this was the system I have in my car and it works extremely well.

Dimi

Attachments

• sideshift 2.JPG
    sideshift 2.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 400
  • sideshift 5.JPG
    sideshift 5.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 397
Dimi..... hard for me to tell, by your posting--but that's not a 930 you're running, is it? Last time I talked to Cal Motorsports (and a few other companies) no one was making a side-shift mod for the 930. If you do know of someone, I'd be very interested.

Also where did you get your shifter (pictured). Is that a Cal Motorsports unit?

Thanks. As a means of introduction, look in the Gallery, under General Photos to see my ride--inverted Porsche 930, twin turbo, intercooled, fuei injected McLaren clone.

Dimi......now that I've taken the time to put on my reading glasses (ahem....), I see you're talking about the G50 03. Disregard my earlier posting--but please still feel free to look at my pics in the Gallery(!). Ken

Back