possibly the sickest engine/tran package for an SLC ??

I don't know whose car this is or anything about the engine, but it looks pretty sick. This is on the cover of the Pace Performance catalog: Pace Performance 2013 Catalog

1_engine.jpg

Look at that pic VERY close....:-}

Its more similar than many may think....t

The SLC chassis and the 01 SLC race car were displayed by them to draw in customers to their car...our products were also used to fill their workshop during their open days.

The intake shown is designed and manufactured here in Detroit too
I remember seeing the pics of the 01 car next to a falcon at the dream cruise. Don't worry, I know you're responsible for the F7's updated chassis but it's not identical to the SLC chassis, is it?
If I'm not mistaken, the intake is made by performance desgin and you also make parts for it...

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The two chassis that moved them from their "modified" Corvette C5 chassis to being a real car in its own right and being taken more seriously are very very close to the SLC.

Yes we made lots of PD/Calebs CNC parts when he was just getting the intake into production...smart guy with a good product

Last edited:
Its a great engine - if you can live with the irritating 'misfire'

Hehe :). My engines sound nothing like a normal WRX engine.

The Toyota V8 would be cool, I believe they respond very well to supercharging.
If a Ferrari 12 fits then I reckon an RB would, but best ask Fran.
A tuned RB26 sounds like god screaming.

Tim.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Inline 6 cylinder engine may be possible but it would require us to make some changes to the chassis and also to create a pair of saddle type fuel tanks to replace the centrally mounted one we use in the SLC...anything is possible in theory.

We would need an engine to test fit and design mounts and an adapter plate to attach to the required transaxle...

"Sickest" engine? For me, an "uncorked" Viper V10 (intake, cam, exhaust, and flash). A lot of people don't like the sound of them. But to me, the rumpity-rumpity idle that opens to a bellowing roar is instant wood.

Too bad they don't fit into any of Fran's cars or trucks. :( It would be the best of both worlds for me: one of Fran's creations with a Viper engine.

Last edited:
Inline 6 cylinder engine may be possible but it would require us to make some changes to the chassis and also to create a pair of saddle type fuel tanks to replace the centrally mounted one we use in the SLC...anything is possible in theory.

We would need an engine to test fit and design mounts and an adapter plate to attach to the required transaxle...

Fran, just of the top of your head. could you give a ball-park estimate of what all that work would cost ? not looking for exact amounts.

The Toyota V8 would be cool, I believe they respond very well to supercharging.
Tim.

Hate to say it but that motor, the 1UZ-FE, responds well in relation to the steep amount of money you would need to spend on it. Unlike the 2JZ-GTE (Supra engine) this one is not an iron block... thus a lot less reliable when pushing high boost. Trust me, I currently own a Lexus SC4 and that motor is best understood in proper context... as a good cruising motor. Going with an LS3 would be such a better deal and less of a headache. That being said, one of the more famous examples of a good 1UZ-FE build is this one; a 1000 bhp turbo-charged variant for this Ferrari F40 Replica (race video)
F40%2031%20Oct%202002%20026%20(Small)_jpg.jpg

Hate to say it but that motor, the 1UZ-FE, responds well in relation to the steep amount of money you would need to spend on it. Unlike the 2JZ-GTE (Supra engine) this one is not an iron block... thus a lot less reliable when pushing high boost. Trust me, I currently own a Lexus SC4 and that motor is best understood in proper context... as a good cruising motor. Going with an LS3 would be such a better deal and less of a headache. That being said, one of the more famous examples of a good 1UZ-FE build is this one; a 1000 bhp turbo-charged variant for this Ferrari F40 Replica (race video)
F40%2031%20Oct%202002%20026%20(Small)_jpg.jpg

Not everyone wants to run a Chev. To some of us they are the Big Mac of engines, sure they are simple and cheap, but some of us (out here in the world as opposed to the US anyway) prefer food.
I guess it's a matter of, er, I guess the word is taste... ;)

I am not against Chev's (in fact I use a SBC in my Jag) but I understand the OPs desire for something different.

Anyway, the OP seems to be looking at alternatives. I have seen a few supercharged Toyota V8s that seem successful. I don't think they needed huge boost to make them fun. I haven't heard of block issues amongst the ones I know of.
I have a clip somewhere of a drag Supra in Japan that uses the V8 with some success.
Maybe they would cost a bit more to modify than the conventional Chev (IDK),
but to some it might be worth it to have something different, or that fits their mindset more happily.

As for alloy engines, I have two alloy engines that run boost in the order of 30psi. (Or at least did until this year when I decided that I would wind them back for street use).
Just because it's alloy doesn't mean it is inherently flawed. That seems a little simplistic to me.
Alloy has many advantages over heavier materials. Lighter weight gives advantages in handling, braking and acceleration. You can go faster with less power.
There are many alloy block engines out there with very high outputs that do just fine.
Even if it were to make less power simply by being alloy, in my book a car needs to be something greater than a traffic light dragster. 0-60 means very little to me, it is an indicator but no more than that.

If I was building an SLC I would consider it as an exotic, maybe others wouldn't. Before I went down the Chev' route I would definitely be looking at engines that were at least a bit different to the conventional choice.
For some people the RB26 is the engine of choice, I can understand that, I love mine. For others it is Viper or Audi or whatever (for some it seems they would use a Chev' for everything, car, boat, chainsaw, dishwasher... :) ).
The eye of the beholder is what is important.

Fwiw - Toyota Engine Tuning Guide | Fast Car Magazine

Tim.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Now you got me thinking...
F1... V12 with 16k-20k rpm (money no object)
Kaase motor with a serious transaxle to handle it (melting tires)
3 rotor to make everyone within 1/4 mile deaf
Bug W12 cause it could fit

but well built 427 LS7 some cool induction with will work for me. Oh wait thats what I got.

Attachments

• phone 213.jpg
    phone 213.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,060
For others it is Viper or Audi or whatever (for some it seems they would use a Chev' for everything, car, boat, chainsaw, dishwasher... :) ).Tim.

And here is the Chevy V8 powered chainsaw:shy:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9x8rBKC4BE]Predator (2.2 second run) - YouTube[/ame]

I'm with Tim. My "fantasy" for some time has been to build an SLC with an "exotic" V12.

I've owned and driven all kinds of cars in my life, but never a 12. They had Turboed L4s(Lotus), Subaru turbo 4, v6, L6s, and a Ford v8.

Of them all, the one that I enjoyed most was a German 323i with the little 2.3L Bosch injected L6. I loved the torque characteristics, the smoothness, the sound. It was just the sweetest little engine. Only 150hp but it would give it all day long, pedal to the floor. So I completely understand the pressurised RB26 idea! If thats what trips your trigger, go for it. As Tim said the SLC is NOT a utility vehicle. We have factory cars and pickups for that. Its an exotic/race replica. So if Chevy/Ford engines do it for some people, great. They get to save money. But for those of us with Pagani Zonda tastes but not the budget, plus the desire to create something of unique beauty on our own, there may still be a way to get there.

Pagani-New-Factory-Tour-70-1200x800.jpg

If the sound of a highly tuned MB/AMG v12 as used in the Zonda R (search YouTube) does not give you goose bumps and raise your blood pressure then a V8 of your preference is definitly the wiser choice. http://www.gt40s.com/forum/images/smilies/drunk.gif

I'm cheering for Nils Greger in Germany who posted that he was putting a MB/AMG M120 V12 in an SLC. More power to him.

If I had the wherewithall at the moment, I would grab a salvaged M120 off ebay and order my SLC yesterday.

Pete

Thanks - going Step by Step in the right Direction... ;)

Attachments

• 1907637_475270199273305_1399361202959892610_n.jpg
    1907637_475270199273305_1399361202959892610_n.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 2,160
Back