POWER STEERING

Has anyone out there got power steering on there gt,I figure that you don't need it at speed but it could be usefull at low speed.I ask the queston because I am thinking of fitting it to mine,as it uses precious bhp i have got a electronic power steering column that I am thinking of useing If I can make i speed sensitive.Anyone got any views?
Nick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My partner struggles a little with weight of steering when doing slow speed turns, parking etc.

She needs to build up her arm muscles.

But I've never contemplated fitting power steering. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Power steering, power seat, luggage space

Sacrilege
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

This is not lemon tea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, yeah, sacrilege and all that (don’t forget auto and aircon) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif , but here is a story…

A very close friend of mine owns a 1600 Mazda Miata (MX5 here in Australia), a model that had no power steering. I would go as far as to say that the steering from this model is the benchmark by which all other cars should be compared for both feel and directness. By most standards, this is a very light car and does not need power steering. However, she had developed some not insignificant arm problems which brought her to the point of needing to regretfully sell her pride and joy. Her only other choice was to fit power steering from the heavier 1800 Miata which she reluctantly decided to do. We were all resigned to the fact that the steering would lose its magical character and the car would also become underpowered but surprisingly, the steering kept its feel and the engine had no noticeable power loss. I have driven the car regularly myself through winding roads at speed, and have totally forgotten that it has power steering.

Bottom line. If there is anyone out there who may (for whatever reason) be forced to install power steering in a car such as a GT40, then they could do worse than to consider the unit from the 1800 Miata. Its a beauty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thank you Chris
I am not going to fit it at the moment but may do in future,my point is electronic power steering does not sap power like fluid type racks, the enzo,mclaran f1,noble m12,f1 cars,could all these be wrong?.
Abs,traction control,sequencal gearboxes,none fitted to 1960 gt 40s would it be fitted if they were built in 2004?
some may think driver aids yuck, but if a race car is light for the driver to use you drive smoother and faster and less fighting with a big 15 inch wheel.what I want is to make a faster car thats all.
NICK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That's the problem with nice guys. They want their partners to enjoy their GT-40s like they do. IMHO men and women are not built the same. They are better suited to be in the passenger seat with white knuckles up against the dash board and the guy with white knuckles around the steering wheel. This is the way it was meant to be. If we keep them in their place power steering is not needed. Joseph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Amen Joseph, could not have said it better myself other than to ad, why put 'em in the seat at all. Anyway thier legs are much sexier when viewing from the inside out. And in the girls defense, who wants to be a passenger anyway?!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's the thing. The people who have built these cars that I know have taken just about all they had to just get them sorted to the point that they are ballanced, run strong and cool, and stop well. I guess what I am saying is these cars are best suited to builders who WANT TO do some enginneering on their own. For those of you who need to do something very off the center of the bell curve then in most cases you will be on your own. Now ANYTHING can be done to a GT40 if the builder wants to invest the time and effort into the project. I don't want to discourage you but most of the time you will be left to your own resorces. You can always replace the above with money at any time.

So..... I wish you well. All of you who want powersteering, 2000 watt sound systems, 4 wheel drive, 1000hp motors, automatic gearboxes, etc. Just do it. Post pictures. I would love to see your results.

I heartily agree that power steering on a GT40 is kind of contrary to the whole purpose and feel of the car, but there are those who must have it...IMHO I would never install it on a car like this, especially considering the weight involved is not like a front engined sedan, or a front wheel driver with some torque steer, but I had a customer who had to have it!
The car had a Mustang II Rack which made the switch easy, and we used a power unit from a Subaru XT, it mounts in the firewall in the original vehicle, so it can go anywhere, 12 volts and a fuse can be supplied, works well. Also think about limiting the pressure supplied to the rack, this will help to keep some more "feel" if that is what is needed.
Good Luck
Phil

The system that i am talking about does not have a pump or a fluid rack it consists of a standard rack and a electronic assisted column no fluid is involved at all,the amount of assist can be adjusted from o to a lot by a verible resister.how we got onto womem and wimps i do not know, are all f1 drivers wimps?,do 20 laps of any circit flat out and your arms and sholders hurt which slows you down one flat out 1 lap of the nurburg ring will tell you that, theres nothing hard about being tired behind the wheel just slower laps.as for being on my own i have not spent any of my money paying anybody to do anything on my build apart from my fuel tanks all my bugit has been spent on parts not labour because i can do it all myself i am only bouncing ideas of people theres nothing wrong with being differnt arnt we all?
NICK

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Nick, if you want power steering go for it, It's your build. Of course we tough bronzed Aussies don't need it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Go For It, Nick!!!

I am the champion of the "do it your way" types. Drives Frank Catt crazy, but we seem to get along despite my irreverence, isn't that right, Frank?

Seriously, Nick, I can only echo what others have said, "Its your car and no one else has to like it but you!" I am intrigued by your description of the power assist you are considering. Can you share a product name, website or anything like that? I doubt I'll use it on the GT40, but you never know what I might get into and this might be the perfect solution.

Thanks,
Lynn

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Nick, it will still use power, the electrics to drive the rack comes from the battery, and the engine puts it in the battery. The difference wont be great if any.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Another possibility could be the Fiat Punto assisted steering set up.

I have net see it myself but was told that it works by picking up movement on the steerong column and activating assistance motors that in turn add assistance to the steering column thereby leaving all the rack etc intact.

This is the system where they have the "Girly" CITY button that doubles the assistance for parking. Being electric it could be the type of system you're looking for.

One problem it's Fiat and that in itself makes the parts flimsy and suspect!

Good luck

Ian

Back