Practice GT40

I know this not a "real" GT40 but it is all I can afford right now. This is a circa '69 FiberFab Avenger GT12, a grand daddy of the GT40 kit car. This has a '63 VW pan & engine. It sat under a tree on blocks for at least 15 years. It didn't even make into a barn. It had Porsche 356 motor that was trash.
Same wheel base & over all size as a GT40.
I am still in the demolition evaluation stage. I am looking at tail lights, scoops and etc.
Sam.

Attachments

• Avenger 026_1067x800.jpg
    Avenger 026_1067x800.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 759
  • Avenger 008_1067x800.jpg
    Avenger 008_1067x800.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,981
  • Avenger 011_1067x800.jpg
    Avenger 011_1067x800.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 787

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very cool Sam! :thumbsup:

I have a lot of fond memories of drooling over the Avenger and Valkyries back in the day...

Howard Jones

Supporter
If I was in your shoes, I would take it all apart and clean up everything. During the process see if you fall in love with the project while you learn more about it. Then if you feel the need go for it. The process of building a car isn't only the car itself but a whole new group of friends and a whole new hobby.

Yours is a good project for a limited budget. I would rebuild the V DUB and use it. You might even like to paint it yourself. That ugly dirty car of yours could really turn into a very nice car someday and I am sure you would take even more pride in it's completion given the starting point. I sure would.

A word of caution. Keep your investment at a point that reflects the market. There are a lot of hot rods out there that have twice the dollars invested in them than they are worth. You should be able to make a nice car out that and sell it for the sum of the parts you buy to do it. The labor is yours and therefor free. Nobody gets paid to play with their hobbies toys.

Then someday you can use the tools you buy and the skills you learn to do another car that would be more advanced. Have fun and we look forward to you progress.

Thanx for the good words. I am having fun. I first had to rebuild the center of the nose section. Then I decided to add nostrils.
I was going to add the NACA scoops behind the headlights.
Were do the scoops put the air or are they just dummies?

Attachments

• Avenger 041_1067x800.jpg
    Avenger 041_1067x800.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 593

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Looks like a good start Sam. The radiator outlet "nostrils" are a nice modification. I saw one of these years ago, and with all the '65 and '66 fastback Mustangs I've owned, I'd swear the back glass is exactly the rear glass out of one of these if you need to find one.

ox

You are right. The rear window is a 65 Mustang fastback @ $450 ea. The front is a Corvair @ $145.
These are just like any other build in that it is just a matter of how much money you want to spend. The VW engine can be 60 to 200 hp.
As one mechanic put it " it is just Cubic Money"

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanx for the good words. I am having fun. I first had to rebuild the center of the nose section. Then I decided to add nostrils.
I was going to add the NACA scoops behind the headlights.
Were do the scoops put the air or are they just dummies?

Nice work there Sam!

Regardless the degree of your search for that more authentic look - You may want to add the spoilers at the leading edges of your nostrils. This will make them much more effective in drawing airflow through your radiator.
1_Picture_138.jpg

Other images can be found all over this website as well as the gallery;
GT40s.com - PhotoPlog - Gallery

On the NACA scoops behind the headlights - To my knowledge they were simply used as cabin air inlets. Be aware though that you may end up piping rain water into the cabin should you get caught in a storm.. :stunned:

Enjoy your project and please keep posting updates! :)

Thanks Randy for the close up of the nostril lip. I believe I can do that. The nostril is just for show since it has a VW engine. I may add AC & could use the scoop for the condenser
I may just put the two NACA scoops in the nose section in as dummies. They just look neat.
The scoop at the base of windshield can be made fuctional if I build in a water seperation chamber.

Back