Preference: Replica GT40 or Ford GT?

Gordo

Lifetime Supporter
I asked the same question? Now owning both, I still don't know which is better! Two totally different cars. Some days you wear T-shirts, some days you wear golf shirts. Which is better? It depends on the day. I'll just say you'll have fun with either. The GT is a tad less maintenance intensive...

Come to my house, drive both and you decide!

I asked the same question? Now owning both, I still don't know which is better! Two totally different cars. Some days you wear T-shirts, some days you wear golf shirts. Which is better? It depends on the day. I'll just say you'll have fun with either. The GT is a tad less maintenance intensive...

Come to my house, drive both and you decide!

I'll take you up.
okay, I'm sitting here listening to the ocean with a glass of wine at Wild Dunes. When and Where?

Grady

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
If you want all out performance the GT40 will be better.

Its physical dimensions are more favorable. If you throw 200,000 at building a GT40 vs 200,000 for a GT, you will have a car that would run an enzo ferrari or a Porsche GT3 for its money WITH creature comforts. GT wont even come close to that. Yeah a GT is a supercar for the price... make the price equal and the choice is done.

If you want a car thats larger on the road and isnt GO-kart like, GT. If you want performance, GT40.

It comes to what was said, a Hot Blond or a Rocket... if you want performance, The Hot Blond, if you want something large, the Rocket. Same concept i thinks... :rolleyes2:

Nice photos... didnt realise the GT40 was THAT much smaller. Wow.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Have you actually driven either? I can't read anymore of your posts without picturing a 17 year old kid sitting in his mom's basement on her computer speaking to things with which he has absolutely no first hand knowledge of. Please stop.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Physical dimensions are physical dimensions. Aftermarket parts are aftermarket parts. I know what enough to know this without having to have been in it.

Its like "have u taken drugs? then u cant comment whether they are bad or not"

Like seriously.

Ive had experience with other cars, older and larger cars, such as Old Muscle B and E body Mopars. Ive seen them made to handle better than off the shelf ferraris and in the races in america which are non rule restricted the 1970 E BOdy challenger is dominating porsche, ferrari, lamborghini etc.

Now a GT40 which is already made to work well... is it hard to work out?

Seen many reviews on the GT.

The front end lifts under hard cornering causing it lose traction, weight distribution from side to side isnt great either as it effects its performance from being better. Car gets so hot under engine bay aswell that it wouldnt last very long under those conditions either. Reviewed/tested by top racers.

Can I then add what I do know for sure?

Definately. Now go troll someone else

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Having owned a GT, you have no clue about that of which you speak. Please cite your sources since in fact you have never driven or owned said car?

Last edited:

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Let me find the resources again and I will post them back to you.

Either way, the OP asked for peoples opinions. Not for Bash another guy for giving an opinion as that is what was asked for.

Back to the OP - Since you got offered to go drive both... definately do it. Performance isnt everything and you just might find the feel/comfort of the GT more your thing with 'good enough' performance. All cars feel different, and thats one hell of a comparison u been offered.

A few side by side pictures

I've driven both extensively, and I have to respectfully disagree with George. The GT is hands down the better performing car, faster in all respects, civilized and refined, much more comfortable, MUCH safer, easy to live with, highly engineered and a lot of car for the money. That said, I'd rather drive around in my GT40 because it's just a little more exciting....for all of these same reasons. It's also dead simple, and I really, really appreciate simplicity.

Attachments

• GT40 side by side.JPG
    GT40 side by side.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 330
  • GT40 side by side2.JPG
    GT40 side by side2.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 340
  • GT40 side2 Nice.JPG
    GT40 side2 Nice.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 295
  • gt40 side3.JPG
    gt40 side3.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 292
  • gt40 roof height.JPG
    gt40 roof height.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 285

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hey, found some of it.

Ford GT Driven on Big Willow - Best Motoring International - YouTube

That tells u how the GT feels. Is it a bad car? Hell no. Its extremelly good. But for 200 000 u will get 'more' out of a GT40. The question is do u NEED the more. Thats all I was saying.

On top gear, Jeremy Clarkson was more impressed with the precise handling of the GT40 over the GT. Last I heard, he sold the GT to own the 40 because it is overall 'better'.

I also have friends in the states who are into stock car racing amongst many other races, He does racing proffessioanaly as well as providing racing days for the public on the tracks for around $200, even less at times. Hes actually been my biggest help in helping me understand what it costs to own/tune etc a car like this and the potentials/draw backs they propose. Even according to him the GT40 would do 'more' given you paid what you would pay for a GT due to the sheer size difference. However the GT ofcourse will be more comfortable.

Cant find the Challenger E Body race car. But he holds the fastest track time of all ferraris, GTs, Lamborghinis etc. Its 1 of the few races that are held in America that are 'no rules' limited. The car hardly looks like a Challenger anymore, it is converted to Coil Overs, and whatever else. Ferraris traditionaly (like the GT) handle about 1.1 G on a skid pad, this challenger hangs in at over 2Gs (a true race car). I can ask my mate in the US to provide that, as hes the one that showed me just to satisfy the "what can be done to a muscle car to make it handle" idea.

N its the money that made it that way. So thats why I said building ur OWN car, u could fit it out with the right stuff to make it a SERIOUS performer.

Cliff Beer, does the GT40 you drive, that isnt as good... cost you $200,000 fitted with state of the art race parts in its suspension, shocks, spring rates etc?

Nice pictures btw :)

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Cant find the Challenger E Body race car. But he holds the fastest track time of all ferraris, GTs, Lamborghinis etc. Its 1 of the few races that are held in America that are 'no rules' limited. The car hardly looks like a Challenger anymore, it is converted to Coil Overs, and whatever else. Ferraris traditionaly (like the GT) handle about 1.1 G on a skid pad, this challenger hangs in at over 2Gs (a true race car). I can ask my mate in the US to provide that, as hes the one that showed me just to satisfy the "what can be done to a muscle car to make it handle" idea.

Yes, it "hardly looks like a Challenger anymore" because it is NO LONGER A CHALLENGER!!!!

When I finish modifying a GT40 for ultimate performance and it looks like an Audi LeMans car, will it still count? I have the Grasssroots Motorsports issue with the Challenger story. Even the engine is made up of non Mopar factory type parts including non production type heads and intake which makes it really a "prototype" not a "Challenger".

Can we please have a rule banning "textspeak"? If someone does not have time to type "you" instead of "u" they do not have the time and reflection to post here on GT40s.com........

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Yes that Challenger is hardly a Challenger anymore. The simple point was, you could make anything do whatever you want if you have the $. The GT40 being the better performer than the GT had you invested in it as much as a standard GT would cost you. The GT40 should still have its original body shape otherwise there was no point getting one. Just do the work underneath that body. Run the Ford Motor but do everything else with carefully selected parts. 150,000 will buy you some SERIOUS stuff.

I was just merely pointing out to the guy if performance is ultimate goal as to which one GT40 or GT, for 200,000 (cost of a GT) the GT40 would be so far ahead, that really, there is no comparison.

Now if you are talking standard GT40 vs standard GT, and then asking which one... perhaps its a different story then cause the GT is a very capable car. But it is also 120 000 dollars more compare to a finished (to standard) GT40, so thats not really a comparison in that sense. Just my view to the OP. Something to think about, thats all

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Cliff Beer, does the GT40 you drive, that isnt as good... cost you $200,000 fitted with state of the art race parts in its suspension, shocks, spring rates etc?
You mean like the modern day Ford GT? You are the epitome of an internet expert! I would love to hear Cliff compare and contrast the cars in great detail since he's actually spent time in both. When my SPF arrives I will share the differences from my perspective as well. The GT was a phenomenal car. Very refined and unbelievably fast with just a pulley & tune. I never came close to pushing it to the limits of handling on the street but suffice to say it handled everything I threw at it with ease. Mine was lowered with Alex's T/A kit and handled awesome. This was all on the stock Eagles. With R6s it becomes that much better. Given equal budgets I don't know what car is better and neither does Georgy. But to say the GT is out of it's league when compared to other modern supercars and then assert a GT40 with any amount of money thrown at it is in the same league as an Enzo just proves that all the time spent in the basement surfing the web on your mom's computer does not make you an expert or qualify you to make the statements you make. Please go make these assertions on the FordGTForum where I'm sure there are several folks who do race and track their GTs that will be happy to enlighten you George.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
I never said the cars out of the league of those cars. I simply said the other cars 'are' faster, thats a fact, like it or not. It is a 1 milion dollar car though aswell as being 300kg less.

Infact, I recall saying the GT is a super car and does handle very well, but for 200.000 the GT40 would handle 'even better'.

If your racing experience doesnt allow you to push the GT to its limits, then yeah, in your experience it would be the best handling car because you're not able to push it to its limits as world class proffesional race car drivers can. Once you get to that level of driving ability, the Gt40 will come out on top. Will a member on this forum have the skill needed to see that sort of handling? I dont know. Im just saying car-car the GT40 will come out on top dollar for dollar. Whether the driver will be able to see its potential, thats another story. And besides, what I said wasnt put for debate but simply my personal preference as the OP suggested.

N if u wanna start with mom comments like Alan did, no problem, you just convinced me you're not past the age of 15. So shut up and respect your elders kid.

A guy on here asks 'what is your preference' i stated mine because of those reasons and because a 40 being built ground up it can be built according to the owners preference, 1 of a kind car that is completely thought out by the owner in terms of the way its been put together, and instead of the forum just continuing with other peoples preferences as the post asks I get abused, by who? YOU? So im not alowed to put my preference up while others are? And Who the #$# are u? Some stupid ass imbecile, shmuck waste of time Baboon who cant even read properly.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
You're on a roll George...

I let you know in a few weeks how the cars differ based on real life seat of the pants experience.

Back