Progress report - Roaring Forties no' 085

Most of you will have forgotten this car existed, but anyway...

It's finally getting to the point where I might be able to drive it again. :)
Due to some third parties ruining the engine for me and then making it very difficult to get the bits back (I paid the bill, they didn't deliver the engine), the car has been impotent for a while, but the engine is now back in my hands and almost back together - bigger, better, faster. :)

This time around it has a more serious bottom end and cam/valvetrain. Throttle bodies have gone from 45mm to 50mm.

Really beginning to champ at the bit now. Hopefully it's only a matter of a couple of weeks away. :)

Huge thanks to some friends of mine who have re-enthused me and helped out enormously - you know who are. :) I won't forget your efforts (nor will I forget the people who created the problems in the first place... :veryangry: )
Many thanks also to Paul at RF2 for help and advice.

Took the covers off the car today for the first time in ages - what a beautiful thing it is. :)

Tim.

Last edited:
I'll see if I can get them to start a consulting business Troy. :)
Stick with it mate.

I have no new pic's ATM but I will take some fairly soon and post them.

If you have a look at the Roaring Forties website (unless it's changed recently) you'll see my car. It's quite a deep blood red.

There are also some old pic's at GT40 - a set on Flickr

There's a clip at www.dairally.net/deane/Tim/gt40.mpg

I have attached two pic's - take note of the number John. ;)
The person driving is one of those friends I mentioned. He was driving my GT while I was driving my hill-climb car at a local event.

These are all old now but I'm looking forward to updating them soon. :)

Tim.

Attachments

• 3small.jpg
    3small.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 398
  • Dscn1258small.jpg
    Dscn1258small.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 400
Hi Roaldin,
Very nice looking car. What additional work have you been doing? From what I could see, it looked well finished.
Kind regards, Gus.

Well yes, it WAS well finished for a while. :shrug:

As I said in my first post some people let me down and I was left with a mess to clean up. Trying to do so without compromising evidence has made progress fairly slow. Nuff said.

Due to those people I lost pretty much all enthusiasm for my cars for a while but in recent days, thanks to the friends mentioned in the original post and to some workshops I wish I had used from the beginning (at the very least I would have saved several years in delays and by the look of it at least half the money), I have found a bit of the old me clawing its way back to the surface. :)

Some time after the car is back up and running I intend to apply RF2s fix for the original RF1 front end. (I have never been happy with the front end geometry.)
After seeing a car that was used for developing the new front end being tested at my local track, speaking to the owner and to John Bowe, who has driven both the original and the new setups, I am convinced that the changes will sort out my problems.

I'd also like to thank Ross from this forum for some measurements he provided for the rear end. Hopefully my suggestions were as useful to him. Between us I think we got the back end working pretty well.

Tim.

Last edited:
After some more delay the car is finally back on the road. Thanks to all who helped.

It has been a two steps forward one step back project but it's finally done... phew... three to go...

Tim.

Good on you, Tim. Keep up that positive spirit and enjoy moving forward. We only get one shot at this life, and your car looks stunning. Enjoy it to the max.

Speedo not working--tsk, tsk! Isn't that an MOT fail? :laugh:

Seriously--so glad to see you overcame your troubles and emerged with your head high! And rather than just babying the car along, you're flogging the snot out of it as nature and God intended!

Well done, sir! :thumbsup:

Haha :laugh:

Speedo is a pretty nice loose end to have to tie up really. :thumbsup:

Extremely happy. It was easily one of the fastest cars and it ran perfectly the whole weekend.

I was up against modern supercars like Murcilargo, GT44, Carrera GT and plenty more. Not only was my car faster but it handled the old road surface far better than most of them. Several of the drivers of the other cars at the pointy end were complaining of lift over the humps, even cars that were 40kph slower than me; my car was absolutely superb, in fact the faster I went the more planted it felt. :)

Somebody should have raced these things... :laugh:

Tim

Back