PW Tornado Build pics

Interior 2...

Attachments

• 66791-PWInterior2.jpg
    66791-PWInterior2.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 1,191
Cheers Bill, hopefully it'll get through SVA in the next couple of months and I can then put things exactly the way I want them.

Fitted an ammeter so I can keep tabs on my charging system.
Need to work out how to position some mirrors so I can see it from the drivers seat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 67393-Ammeter.jpg
    67393-Ammeter.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 1,196

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Fibre optic material might be the answer--instead of mirrors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifas long as the ammeter has background light and a magnifyer on the other end----seriously /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
That altenator mount needs to be more substantial-ie plate both sides or boxed -- lots of flexing will occur otherwise.
She's coming on nicely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
If thats a header pipe that meter won't last an hour. But then you temp.installed it there for testing the charging system, right?......really.....right?

Busted !!!! A friend of mine (Geoff) came over this afternoon and brought his testing equipment to see if my alternator / regulator were working e.t.c. After trying his meter first ,we did a secondary test with his ammeter that is going into his 40's dash - thought it worthy of a picture as it looked a bit ridiculous hung on the back of my alternator. Anyway all is well with my system just doesn't do much at idle rpm's.

Awesome, lovin' the car!
How much do you think the build cost you in total?
Im desperate to tuck into a kit car, and obviously it would preferably be a GT40 rep, but I find it impossible to find any build cost figures.
A ball park figure would do.
Thanx and keep up the good work!

Howard Jones

Supporter
$40K-$100K I'm at about $50K. These figures are not including labor other than paint and a few hours of rollcage construction.

The best way to comeup with a buget is to total up all the costs of the parts. Then add another 5-10%. Buget body and paint seperatly.

I have no way to estimate labor costs if you don't do 99% yourself. If you don't want to do the work then order a turnkey minus or a completed car. Having one built locally would not be a good idea in my opinion. The overrun on labor hours will kill you in a local shop.

If you are worried about the number for your wife then tell her it is the same as a new corvette. By the time you are done that will be about right. Maybe even a Z06 if you go with a high end gearbox and high power motor.

Hmm now there's a question....
At a guess i would imagine £26k (UK pounds) total including paint, on the road - once it's on the road I will post the cost.
I have made alot of parts myself ,sourced many parts and had pieces made locally. It a matter of time V's money i.e. if you have time on your hands it's worth getting parts made providing you do the research before drawing up plans. There are areas on the car that I haven't spent much cash ,for example the braking system but at a total cost of about £200 it will see me through SVA and get me on the road. It will probably be one of my first upgrades whereas I spent the money saved on the rollcage - a bit harder to fit this once the car is on the road.

The Lucas switches are from two different places in the UK depending on price. I got the main ones from : -
http://www.europaspares.com/
I got the rest from here : -
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/switch-1/switch-1.html
SW45 and SW42 - don't get SW9 or SW10 the arm is too long.
In the UK they are always on eBay for about £5 each - worth checking.
There are several types of nut that hold them on, hex and two round types.
My switches all came with different ones so I bought a few off ebay just to get the round nuts

Managed to get cables through the inside of the roof for an interior light.

Attachments

• 68056-Interiorlight.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,615
Best of luck for next week Paul. Top Xmas present hopefully.
Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif, Paul

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Yes i will second that........also enjoyed your article in Fortification..... i should be starting my build next year....

Doc Watson

Thanks guys, I'll do a few more articles, each stage of the build.
Will do Brett. Brrrr chilly up here (In Iceland - no seriously I am !) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Attachments

• 70441-Reykjavik.jpg
    70441-Reykjavik.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,034
So had the test today and it went really well. The guy testing it was very fair and allowed me to cable tie a few things and mod / remove a few others.
It failed on a few minor items : -
1. having removed the indicator in the lower recess, the other bulbs now flash too quickly so I need to add a resistor or fit higher wattage bulbs.
2. fit some mesh over the nostril openings - so nextdoors cat can't get in there ! (Geoff didn't see why this would be a problem !)
3. Fit some mesh over the front clip opening in front of the rad for stone protection and also in the rear clip side intakes.

I call that a result - <font color="red"> </font> YABBADABBADOOOOOOO !

I'm booked in next Thurs for the free retest on the bits it failed on and then try to it get registered in early Jan. Thanks to Chris and Geoff for all their help today and the banter.
I trailered the car up there for safety, but couldn't resist driving it back home. (You are legally allowed as long as it's booked in)
So I also had my first drive on the road today and gave it a bit of stick on the way back. Thanks to Geoff for bringing my daily driver and trailer home - he seemed immpressed with the noise it made when I tore past him !
I have unexpectedly been away for the last few days and so only had yesterday as tinkering time before the test (Fit mirrors, collect and fit harness's, adjust speedo, lights, brake level ind., ride height, radfan switch, remove light covers- finshed it at around 2am this morning and then got up for the test at 5.30am ,feeling a bit pooped at the moment as you can imagine. Anyway I can drive it again next Thursday to and from the testing station and hopefully get it sorted.
Seems strange but today it dawned on me that my project in the garage has become a roadcar - wicked.
All the best to everyone for Xmas and the New Year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Back