Question about starter for G50 with KEP fly wheel

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
I have a IMI 101 starter and a KEP 2900 flywheel behind my 347. I cranked the motor at the dyno shop and my mechanic told me later I had a problem with the starter. To him it sounded like a gear to flywheel mismatch. I knew that there was an obnoxious noise coming from the start but hoping it was a timing problem. I guess not.
Today I called the dyno shop to talk to the tuner and he ask if I knew I had a problem with starter.

So my question is "is my IMI 101 starter and the KEP 2900 mismatched?
How many teeth are on a KEP 2900 flywheel?
I know the starter has 9 teeth. I don't know the pitch and angle.

Thanks for all the help in the past.

Dwight

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If your starter has an integral solenoid, but you are also running an original style Ford Solenoid, make sure you don’t have a jumper wire between the two posts on the starter itself. Refer to the attached drawing...
451D1AEF-720A-4631-A2D2-229606B2527F.jpeg

Neil

Supporter
I have a IMI 101 starter and a KEP 2900 flywheel behind my 347. I cranked the motor at the dyno shop and my mechanic told me later I had a problem with the starter. To him it sounded like a gear to flywheel mismatch. I knew that there was an obnoxious noise coming from the start but hoping it was a timing problem. I guess not.
Today I called the dyno shop to talk to the tuner and he ask if I knew I had a problem with starter.

So my question is "is my IMI 101 starter and the KEP 2900 mismatched?
How many teeth are on a KEP 2900 flywheel?
I know the starter has 9 teeth. I don't know the pitch and angle.

Thanks for all the help in the past.

Dwight
Dwight, I have an IMI 101 starter on my KEP flywheel but my engine is a Donovan (aluminum block small block Chevrolet) and it developed an alarming noise when cranking. It turned out to be a couple of broken teeth on the ring gear. I replaced the ring gear, increased the battery- starter cable and things are fine now.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I have a similar setup (again Chevy engine) and experience on my Ultima, it turned out the starter was only just engaging with the flywheel ring gear on a longitudinal basis (depth onto the ring gear, not tooth mesh), it wiped the edge of the ring gear teeth over time.

Dwight

UPDATE;
Tuesday I got a call from the dyno shop. My starter (new) crapped out. I called Kennedy Engineering to verify my 2900 flywheel was correct with the IMI 101 starter. They had problems with the IMI 101and now sell WOSP 1101. They shipped one out that evening. I should get it by Monday because today UPS notified me of a one day delay. Par for the course.

Dwight

Dropped off the new WOSP starter today at the dyno shop. No damage to the ring gear! Great news!
The retaining clip on the IMI starter broke and allowed the spring to push the gear off the shaft into the bell housing. Good news. I guess.
As I was leaving one of the mechanics told me he was a Ford guy and my starter sounded like a old Chevy starter. He explained my problem was the starter was to close to the ring gear. AND he could fix it. He said it needed maybe 60 to 80 thousands more clearance. Easy to do with the way I have it mounted.
I'm feeling real good about this shop.

Dwight

Update
I received a call from Jason at the dyno shop. They did some research and then call WSOP about my starter gear. WSOP told them a 132 tooth flywheel needed a ten tooth starter gear. My new WSOP starter and the two other IMI 101 starter have nine teeth. I had called Kennedy Engineering to check my 2900 flywheel tooth count and which starter match the flywheel. They sold me the WOSP 1101 with the incorrect gear. I'm going to call them next week and ask what tooth count the starter should be.

Back