Racing in the Rain

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Holy crap. I wish I could feel that comfortable driving someone else's car that way in the rain.

Pete- I think I read somewhere on the internet (so it has to be true) that the Ferrari driver did survive. Can't remember where.

Chris

Keith

Interesting part of the judgement:

"The judge determined the pre-race agreement between Ota and the organizers not to pursue legal action in the event of an accident was unacceptable.<sup id="cite_ref-Mainichi_2-7" class="reference"></sup> Despite his written pledge to organizers not to seek compensation in the event of an accident, which all drivers were required to sign, the judge ruled it unfair and said it runs counter to public order and morals. Ono added that the pledge, branded by him as a "death pledge", aims to exempt organizers from responsibility, allowing them to benefit economically from races."

If that ruling has any clout in international courts, then the waivers we've all had to sign are worthless. Does that principal, one wonders, also<sup> </sup><sup id="cite_ref-Asahi_6-8" class="reference">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Ota#cite_note-Asahi-6</sup>extend to spectators?<sup id="cite_ref-Asahi_6-8" class="reference"></sup>

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Does that principal, one wonders, also<SUP> </SUP><SUP id=cite_ref-Asahi_6-8 class=reference></SUP>extend to spectators?<SUP id=cite_ref-Asahi_6-8 class=reference></SUP>

If "A" then "B", Keith.

(I can see racing in the rain becoming an instant casualty.)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Interesting part of the judgement:

"The judge determined the pre-race agreement between Ota and the organizers not to pursue legal action in the event of an accident was unacceptable.<sup id="cite_ref-Mainichi_2-7" class="reference"></sup> Despite his written pledge to organizers not to seek compensation in the event of an accident, which all drivers were required to sign, the judge ruled it unfair and said it runs counter to public order and morals. Ono added that the pledge, branded by him as a "death pledge", aims to exempt organizers from responsibility, allowing them to benefit economically from races."

If that ruling has any clout in international courts, then the waivers we've all had to sign are worthless. Does that principal, one wonders, also<sup> </sup><sup id="cite_ref-Asahi_6-8" class="reference">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Ota#cite_note-Asahi-6</sup>extend to spectators?<sup id="cite_ref-Asahi_6-8" class="reference"></sup>

I've consulted with a few attorneys on this in the past - two of them were fellow racers themselves.

The signed waivers are not worth the paper they are written on in the case of negligence...

Of course the onus is upon the party who declares the negligence to prove it. This may or may not be hard to do - but somewhere along the line, just about any "accident" can be proven to be caused by poor planning, materials, etc..

Back