RCR #010 Build Progress

Trying something

I had an extra set of horseshoe decals so I put them on to see how they look. What do you think?

misc%20009.jpg

Bill D

Horse Shoe Decals

Hi Bill,

Like everything on your car, it looks bichin. I am loving your thread Bill (and your site), keep up the great work. Those RCR's are some cool cars.

Cheers

Jack

Bill D said:
I had an extra set of horseshoe decals so I put them on to see how they look. What do you think?

misc%20009.jpg

Bill D

Too small Bill, looking at chassis 1049, you need larger swag on there.

My $0.02. or $0.013254 CDN

Chris

Attachments

• 1049_01.jpg
    1049_01.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,332

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
The horseshoes were from the #9 car as I'm sure those are the same one that came the "I say ding dong" Fellow on EBay. I think Gerrard (gait1969) was the one that had done the art work on them and I hooked him up with Tony the ding dong decal guy in the UK. They are definitly smaller and in a differnt place on the 9 car then the dark blue car. Probabally would not be a big deal for him to print them up in the larger size, he was a nice fellow and turned them out really fast from the art. The art was vector based so just a matter of changing the scale the re-print and cut.

I have not measured them, but here is the sizes that Gerrard had (middle of the thread somewhere)

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/showthread.php?p=148212#post148212

Sandy

Thanks Sandy. I did get them from that vendor on eBay.

I am going to have my painter paint them on and make them 20-25% larger than the decals.

Cheers
Bill D

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Finding photos of the cars with the horseshoes is difficult, I have all the rest of the stickers from him and eventually will see how it looks once the car gets out here... The best shots I have seen are from slot car models :)

Sandy

Installed the Pleiglas Windows Today

My son Anthony and I proceeded to install the rear window and side windows today. Nearly everyone here recommended threaded inserts and some type of machine screw. Suggestions ranged from 6-32 to 10-24. In the end I selected 8-32 SSTL hex drive button head screws.

For inserts I went with a .015 flanged head rivnut. Once installed, you thread the screw into the rivnut and it pulls the threads up, creting a mushroom (or flange) on the inside. This prevents the insert from coming out.

They worked almost flawlessly. A couple tend to come out when I removed the screws. In the end, I'll epoxy them in to assure they don't come loose.

I initially went with 8-32 x 3/4" screws, but changed them to 8-32 x 1" to get more thread engagement. I used #8 SSTL flat washer to protect the Plexiglas from getting damaged.

rear_window%20006.jpg

rear_window.jpg

rear_window%20007.jpg

On to the side windows. Original GT40s had 21 screws on the side windows. After marking the locations, I decided it looked too crowded. I ended up using 13, which I feel looks better.

Here Anthony and I are drilling and installing the side windows...

side_windows%20006.jpg

side_windows%20007.jpg

side_windows%20008.jpg

side_windows%20010.jpg

Cheers
Bill D

Last edited:

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,

Anthony is a lucky young man. To be able to work side by side with dad is one thing, but to be involved in a project of this magnitude is something that'll put a smile on his face for the rest of his life. You (and your team) are doing a remarkable job - I hope to come close to your high standards when a certain package from Fran arrives at my door next month.

Decal-wise, I have a vague recollection in conversations with Hershal Byrd that either HB or someone he was acquainted with would be able to provide decals as needed. For what it's worth (and if by chance you haven't been in touch with him), it may be worth a call.

Regards,

T.

horseshoes

The measurements I gave in the earlier thread are 100% accurate. It is better to have the logo in cutted vinyl, which looks absolutely better and lives longer. You can have that done by any local shop, so it's easier. Post me if you'll need the files. Here is how they look on my car.

Attachments

• gt40-for-website.jpg
    gt40-for-website.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,229

Ron Earp

Admin
Nice work Bill! As popular as the Gulf cars are it'd seem like a good idea to get all the necessary files, send to a good graphics person, and produce a few sets all at once for public consumption. A group buy deal.

Made a Nifty Way to Mount/Hide My Fuse Box

After looking at my "rework" to correct the upside down fuse box, I decided on a completely different design. Instead of mounting the fuse box to the aluminum foot panel and covering it up with a plastic box, I decided to mount the fuse box inside the plastic box. The plastic box would be "recessed" into the aluminum foot panel in the passenger foot well.

First I traced the size of the box on the aluminum panel and cut a hole for the box...

fuse%20box%20007.jpg

I then added some mounting brackets made from some 1x1 aluminum angle. These I mounted to the sides with some screws. They are positioned in such a way as to allow the box to protrude 1" through the plate...

fuse%20box%20008.jpg

The box then mounts through the hole from the back and will be held in place with screws...

fuse%20box%20010.jpg

fuse%20box%20011.jpg

I drilled a large hole in the back of the plastic box for the wires to pass through. The fuse box fits snugly inside the box. The relays are just below the edge...

fuse%20box%20013.jpg

fuse%20box%20015.jpg

fuse%20box%20016.jpg

The aluminum panel will be insulated and carpeted...leaving the panel exposed about 1/2".

Bill D

Back