RCR #010 Build Progress

Good gollie mollie, we run 14"s on the right rear of our sprint car, what size tires will you be using ? These will fit on the RCR ?
Wheels look fantastic !
Kevin

Kevin-
I ordered my RCR GT40 with the Gulf flares. The tires are AVON historic tread, 15.0/26.0-15 in the rear, and 9.1/23.5-15 in the front

tires+002.jpg

Bill D

Custom fuel filler flanges made

The kit comes with original style fuel caps. However, they do not (or did not) come with any means to hook up a fuel filler hose to the tank. I made a chassis mockup with some 1/4" stock and installed the fuel cap to it.

fuel%20flange%20001.jpg

I then got out my trusty straight edge, a pencil, some paper, and a compass. I proceeded to design one. I took the drawing to a local machine shop and had them machine two fuel filler flanges from 6061 T-6 aluminum.

fuel%20flange%20002.jpg

fuel%20flange%20003.jpg

The flange is held in place from the bottom with the fuel hose and a clamp. When the fuel cap is closed, the rubber seal locks it in place and seals the fuel system.

fuel%20flange%20004.jpg

The cost to make these two parts was $250. Pretty steep. But I had no choice. I located an off the shelf fuel flange, but the hose size was 2", and Fran's car comes with a 1.5" nipple welded to the tank.

Bill D

Bill - does your fuel tank have a breather pipe neck? I thought most tanks have a relief pressure hose, the fuel filler down pipe I have has a small breather neck that connects to the tank via hose.

Chris

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Bill

Nice looking bits for the fuel fillers.

You may have a problem if you ever park nose down on an incline in hot weather with fuel forcing past the spring loaded seal system. I have heard this also happened on some GTD's

For info the Dax had a simple flange on the underside (inside of car) that attached to the rubber hose to fuel tank. (It also has a breather from the tank immediately unger the flange)

The flange is bonded and sealed to the sheet metal inside the car.

The outside is now fitted with donuts that take VW golf mk 1 after market locking fuel caps and the period caps fit over these.

So twice the sealing system to stop fuel leaks

Ian

Very nice Bill....as you mentioned ...I have been working with my cap manufacturer to add a locking filler and fill tube, he called me yesterday to say he is two weeks away.....its great to have good suppliers.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Wow. Nice to finally see those meaty Avon rollers get together with those wheels. Your car is going to be one of the toughest looking GT40s ever. Keep posting!

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Bill -

HOT! That is what it is supposed to look like :burnout:

Have you cycled the suspension to see if their are any interferance issues with suspension or bodywork?

Man, that is a good look, I again know why I love the gulf configurations.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy.

Before I installed the rear clip, I jumped up nd down on the chassis. Doesn't appear to be any interference.

Last edited:
Brings to mind the old Wendy's commercial "Where's the beef"? I guess Bill's got it! Nice, the rear end looks extra sexy now-

Cool, thanks for the update!

Chris

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Bill, good to hear that you have not run into any issues. My fronts are a touch smaller width, but the backs are a 14"X27" vs yours at 15"x26". I think I favor your rear tire diamater and width better, I guess I'll have to wear out that set first...and get a loan to cover the next set of tires ;)

Again, that is an awsome look!

Sandy

Rcr #10

Bill,

You're doing some fabulous work on your GT40 and your web site documenting your progress is also elegant. I own RCR Build #20 but don't think I'm going to have the time to finish it. I've accumulated everything including a stroked 392 Ford Race engine and a ZF transaxle. Let me know if you know anyone who wants to build a RCR40.

John

Ron McCall

Supporter
Looks bad as hell Bill!!!!! Crank the shocks down about 10 turns and let's see what it will look like with the drivetrain in!!!!

All those times you said that you were jealous of my car.Now it's my turn!!! ;)

Thanks guys. Here are some more

Some more pictures...

roller%20006.jpg

roller%20007.jpg

roller%20008.jpg

The ride height is currently 5". I need to lower it to 4" or 3.5"

Bill D

Fantastic Bill. You are making very difficult for us mere mortals to choose anything less than 14's in the rear! :) You Bad Boy!

Excellent job Bill. I agree with the other comments made about your selection of wheel sizes and tires. They look perfect on your car. Can't wait to see the finished product, painted and all.

Back