RCR #010 Build Progress

Keith

Bill D said:
Thanks Sandy.

Before I installed the rear clip, I jumped up nd down on the chassis. Doesn't appear to be any interference.

Also known in some replica GT40 circles as a "chassis deflection test" :D

Congrats Bill. By the way guy's, how do I see the photo's of the wheels posted on this thread ? I right click to highlight then click onto that & all I get is yahoo search.
Thanks,
Kevin

Congrats Bill. By the way guy's, how do I see the photo's of the wheels posted on this thread ? I right click to highlight then click onto that & all I get is yahoo search.
Thanks,
Kevin

John,
I am a newbie to this site and am interested in building a GT, RCR is one of the cars i am considiering. Can you forward me specs and pics?
Thanks
Bruce

Bill D said:
The ride height is currently 5". I need to lower it to 4" or 3.5"

Bill D

I'm not sure, and it may never be a problem for you, but dosn't the average Speed Bump 3-4 inches with a deviation of about 1/8 inch?

How low can you get a car before speedbumps, or dips, in the road become a serious problem?
I only ask because I live in a community where I drive over five or so on my way out to work every day, and one night a resident decided to drive his new Lambo ( Countach, Replica I'm rather sure.) home; they towed him off of the speed bump.
I should have gotten pics.

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Related to this, has anyone found/installed an air or hydraulic ride height control system?

John

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I have my DRB set at close to 4" front & back - no problems yet with those damn speed bumps (just taken slowly & all is ok). The big problem I have found with ride height is not the centre of the car, but the long overhang on the nose - any driveway crossings or gutters have to be taken at 45deg or there is a little unplanned machining of the f/glass under the nose !!

Another tip (if you are a 75kg lightweight like me with a bony bum & have the shocks set full soft for road use) - don't take a 130kg friend for a run over rough roads ! Bottoming out (in all senses of the word) is the consequence - wind the shocks up a bit !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

john_douglass said:
Bill,

You're doing some fabulous work on your GT40 and your web site documenting your progress is also elegant. I own RCR Build #20 but don't think I'm going to have the time to finish it. I've accumulated everything including a stroked 392 Ford Race engine and a ZF transaxle. Let me know if you know anyone who wants to build a RCR40.

John

John,

Please shoot me an email or PM. I am planning to build and am located in VA.

Thanks,

J. Salmon
[email protected]

Sorry about the hijack Bill, but it's your own fault. The pictures are incredible, and after looking at them I have trouble thinking straight. I end up sitting in my office staring into space and making vroom vroom noises. Has anyone mentioned those rear wheels?

Last edited:
Meanwhile, back to Bill D's build thread......

Bill D - I can't stop studying those awesome pics of the car in your driveway. Those wheels and tires so look the part on that gulf body. I'm jealous beyond words! One thing that concerns me is the way the front clip seems to have warped - the trailing edge of the wing on the passenger side looks like it has curled inward quite a bit (pics from 7/15). Was this the condition as you received it or did it curl some more as it sat around? The rear clip leading edge doesn't seem to have distorted - perhaps the extra material and the intake/scoop make that part a little more rigid.

Good thing I'm not your neighbor, I'd never get anything done around my house because I'd always be nosing around your garage!

Mitch D

Mitch,

the front clips have a little "spring" to them, once the locating pins are installed there is no issue and very little tension....all of our panels are made that way ...by design.... not mistake.

Absolutely fantastic Bill. Looks ba,ba,ba......BAD ASS !
Can you give me a apx. price you have in the rear wheels ?
Kevin

Kevin-
The rear wheels came from Vintage Wheels as a 15x10. They were widened to 15x14, since no one wants to make that big a wheel. They were then polished ($125 ea) and then painted ($125 ea). I don't have a price on the widening, as Fran had it done for me.

Anyone interested in having wheels widened is welcome to give us a call...
I just did a set for a Canadian CAV... we are not RCR exclusive....wink wink....

A most productive weekend

I didn't like the ratty look of the lettering on my tires, so I undertook the task of cleaning them up and repainting them.

avon_letters%20005.jpg

I finished my adjustable spoiler...
spoiler.jpg

And I fitted and trimmed both side windows and the rear window. Boy, is that Plixiglass hard as nails! I ended up using a power hand planner to make most of the cuts, a metal file to smoth the corners, followed by 220 grit sandpaper to smooth the edges...

rear_window%20001.jpg

rear_window%20002.jpg

side_windows%20001.jpg

Now I need to purchase some press fit knurled inserts and some 8-32 SSTL hex-head button head screws to attach the plexi

Bill D

Hi Bill,

That rear spoiler is a lovely piece of work. Out of interest, what is the likelyhood that adjusting the spoiler height will over time, damage the paintwork beneath?

Keep up the good work Bill.

Bill- the glass work looks great. Question's, what type of paint did you use on the tire lettering ? How long does it last ? From what I've red at club cobra, what ever these guys use doesn't last long.
Thanks,
Kevin

I don't know what Bill used on the tires but if you go to an arts/crafts store they have paint pens that are made to write/draw on clothing. Your kids have probably done this at some point. They material is flexible and stay on and stays white for quite a while.

Back