RCR #010 Build Progress

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Very nice pictures!

One thing i like to see is carguys and there garages. They all have there own personality/ie. stickers, plaques, posters and tools tools tools...gotaluvit!

Bill,

Congratulations.! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I remember taking delivery of my car. It's a day I won't forget.

The car look great. Did your car come with the body fully mounted or do you have some finishing up to do? If it is fully mounted, could you post some pictures of the fitment of the doors, front and rear clip? I bet they look as great as the rest of the car.

Congratulations,
I know you are one happy guy. Every one of us remembers the day we got ours and everything that surronded that day. It's not something one forgets. It will take you about 2 or three days before you will put a wrench to it. Just admire it for what it is,,,, a dream come true.

Bill

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Congrats!!

Pics Looks good, now get to work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And keep the pic's coming.

Sandy

Ron McCall

Supporter
Looks GREAT!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Bill -
All I can say is WOW! The car really looks fantastic - very nice job on the photos. The aluminum work and weldments look excellent. Interesting that you went with RHD. A 24 day travel odyssey? From MI to CA - there has to be a story there?? I just spoke with Fran yesterday - you're right he's a great guy - answered all of my questions and then some! RCR has moved WAY up on my list of options.
Have fun and keep posting photos - it's very inspiring!

Dave Lindemann

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Tell me Bill, it's better than sex, isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoke.gif Hell, we can get sex anytime. Taking delivery of a beautiful, rolling, unconditional loving GT40 only comes around but once in a lifetime.

You can be honest, here amongst all us members, we understand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif We'll keep this our little secret from the Missus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Decided to tackle something easy first, other than washing the car. I made some templates from cardboard of the rear tail light area. Then I traced the opening needed on to the cardboard template.

I then traced the hole onto the car and used my Dremel to cut the opening. The opening was a bit ragged so I used the small drum sanding tool and cleaned it up.

gt40014.jpg

Finally, I drilled the mounting holes and installed the lights. Looks good, huh?

gt40016.jpg

Bill D

Last edited:
Congratulations Bill!

Glad to hear she finally made to to your garage! What a beauty!

Curious to hear your shipping story - Looks like it was over 3 weeks from when it left Fran's place to when it finally showed up at your place.

Cheers,
Mark

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Congrats Bill. Probably pretty nice to put your first check in the box after the frustration of the delivery. Keep up the good work and I look forward to watching your build progress- please post tons of pics!

Chris

Howard Jones

Supporter
Mark, drop me a e-mail with your phone number. I'll put you in the group list for our get togethers here in Northern Calif. We're gonna do something come spring and then the big annual beer bash at my house in the fall. Other stuff as it comes up.

By the way there are lots of us with GT40s around here. More than a dozen right here in the bay area.

The trick is to get them all running at the same time, and then in the same place at the same time. My personal goal is to get a even dozen over my house this year.

I found some really nice 5-3/4" driving lights from Zoops. I changed out the bulb and installed a pair of 130W Halogen bulbs. Used a 5" hole saw then snuck up to the size with a drum sander tatteched to my cordless drill. Now I will fabricate a retaining ring that will keep it from falling out.

gt40+027.jpg

As soon as my headlamps arrive, they're next.

Bill D

Last edited:
I decided to enclose the area behind the radiator to make it look classier. I made some wooden templates, then enlisted the help of my girlfriend's son Mike to weld the pieces in. I cut and fitted them, and then Mike tack welded them in. We will take the whole thing off, finish welding them, paint it, and re-install it. I will then panel both side in .063 6061 aluminum.

Grinding before welding
gt006.jpg

Welding the pieces in
gt005.jpg

Bill

Last edited:

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Bill, who did you get the side markers from? The look pretty good.

The build is looking excellent so far! Excellent work.

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Mike -

Thanks, this does look like Finish-line's "Marker, L-488"

Nice and easy to get. They have them in orange, red and clear.

Sandy

I have a set is anyone is interested. Two are clear and two are red. I'll give them up for $45 (about half price).

I won't be using them on the car I bought them for.

Mike

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the offer, I was looking at the orange ones, as that would be the only ones that you don't have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sandy

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Sandy

Try SVC they even have replacement lens glasses on sale (£4 each if memory serves me right and they say they can march colour of the amber ones fron almost clear to almost red)

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/

Oh yes nothing to do with me - just a happy customer

Ian

Back