RCR 917 engine

Hi all,

Ive been lurking on here for a while as Ive always wanted to do a 917.

Ive spoken briefly to Fran about his kit and other manufacturers and i think Fran's kit is the one Ill eventually go for. But that is if I can fit a non-air cooled engine to it. Fran has stated its only designed for air cooled engine but A) they are getting hard to find as classic car pricing has gone crazy and B) Im aiming for around 500bhp as the car will be used on track.

So my question is has anyone here built one with any other engine? Whats been your experiences?

Thanks in advance.
Craig.

Keith

An excellent choice! As regards engine options there is a 917 featured on this board that has an awesome sounding Audio V10 and I do mean awesome sounding. However, the kit was from another manufacturer and also a space frame chassis which may allow for more latitude in engine choice...

You can search on Youtube but I won't post another manufacturers info on this forum for ethical reasons...

An excellent choice! As regards engine options there is a 917 featured on this board that has an awesome sounding Audio V10 and I do mean awesome sounding. However, the kit was from another manufacturer and also a space frame chassis which may allow for more latitude in engine choice...

You can search on Youtube but I won't post another manufacturers info on this forum for ethical reasons...

Pim Pieterse in South Africa,

built up the Audi engined Bailey replica. He had a lot of issues with cooling and set up, and it cost a small fortune. He has a lot of experience.

There are lots of good air cooled Porsche engines available, and unless you are very experienced 500bhp will be too much to safely handle this first foray into a lightweight, space framed missile. Please do a lot of research first because the 917 concept is so very different to most other designs of the period.

We have now done three LS powered RCR917's.

With dual rads...one in front in place of the oil cooler and one larger in the rear cooling seems to not be an issue...with 480hp so far...Alex's monster may be a little different but we will wait and see.

The modifications and additional work are not included in our standard kit price though

Keith

Dear Lord. Please feed all the starving people of the world and smite those that would put LS engines in thoroughbred cars. ( just kidding, but, you know) :)

Craig , why not a Subaru flat six, I'm using a EG33 for the rear of a Joest Porsche LMP car i'll finish one day, add a couple of T4 turbos and 450-500hp with out touching the internals.

cheers Kaspa

If one used a V10 Audi - a nice benefit would be direct bolt up to the Graziano transaxle now in favor at RCR. The hard part would be the electronics.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

My first choice would be for a 997 turbo engine then an LS7. I know LS7 backwards so it would be easy.

@Fran glad to hear the LS engines can fit that gives me lots of comfort. What gearbox/transaxle have you mated these to?

I did see a video of the Audi and a write up about how much work it took. It sounded awesome like you guys say.

Pim Pieterse in South Africa,

built up the Audi engined Bailey replica. He had a lot of issues with cooling and set up, and it cost a small fortune. He has a lot of experience.

There are lots of good air cooled Porsche engines available, and unless you are very experienced 500bhp will be too much to safely handle this first foray into a lightweight, space framed missile. Please do a lot of research first because the 917 concept is so very different to most other designs of the period.[/QiUOTE]

I do understand your concern fully and I do indeed have plenty of experience with light weight space framed cars with more than 500 ponies too. And that's also with no ABS or Traction control. So rest assured I'm not a Muppet just craving power for boasting rights. ;)

Craig , why not a Subaru flat six, I'm using a EG33 for the rear of a Joest Porsche LMP car i'll finish one day, add a couple of T4 turbos and 450-500hp with out touching the internals.

cheers Kaspa

Thanks Kaspa, I'm sure that engine will sound amazing when finished. Make sure you post up a YouTube of that bad boy.

I'm in Dubai and I'd be worried about a highly stressed turbo engine with the heat we have here.

I'm looking for a mildly tuned engine that works in all conditions. After all its going to be getting beaten round the track at times I know both engines I'm looking at with standard cooling and mild tuning work in this enviroment.

Cheers
Craig.

fits!

917_itb2_zpscbdded9e.jpg

917_itb4_zpse405c8df.jpg

Back