RCR-917 Photos

Chuck

Supporter
Tom, Craig:

Questions:

1. Does the kit include the fiberglass luggage tray / rear fender liner? That would seem like an easy part to fabricate and would be functional

2. Noted the engine cover in the pics setting in the background. Is the expectation to mount a dummy fan in it, perhaps electrically powered just for fun?

3. Is it set up for an AC unit? Looks like lots of space under the dash, and presumabley it would not be too hard to add a compressor.

The rear views of the orignial you posted and the RCR certaily look strikingly similar - looks like a very nice copy. From what little research I have done it would seem that this could be turned into a very realistic reproduction externally (sans 12 cylinder engine). I am getting some ideas . . . . . . .

Chuck

Fran,
You and the team at RCR have done it again. What a great car and a credit to the "Americans" who built it.:thumbsup:
Garry

Great work and look's fantastic, but i think a lot of credit needs to go to Graham Turner in the UK who developed this car from scratch in the first place.

Great work and look's fantastic, but i think a lot of credit needs to go to Graham Turner in the UK who developed this car from scratch in the first place.

HI Jason

Graham has an LMK, and loaned Fran some original 917 body components that needed a lot of work and alteration, Its fair to say that Graham did not develop this car but RCR did.
In return for the loan of the body panels Fran supplied Graham with an extra body.
These are facts.

Regards

Chris Melia.

Last edited:
The body looks great.

I'd be interested to see some pictures of the chassis with the body off, particularly how and where the replica engine bay tube frame attaches to the welded aluminum tub and suspension pick-up points look like, and whether the aluminum mono affords any additional protection over the space frame in regard to the driver's lower torso in the event of a frontal impact.

That's funny, about 15 seconds after I made the above post, I realized I had neglected to remove the words "look like." The forum software did not allow me even to make a ninja edit a few seconds after I posted, but Chris, you were able to edit your message some 13 minutes after you posted it. What's up with that?

Hi Mark

I cant answer your question but maybe you get longer if you contribute to the forum? just a guess.
regards

Chris.

I think a few wide angle shots outside in the sun will solidify the quality of the car.
The close up of the rear makes the rear tires look thin.

Take her outside and post some nice quality pics guys. Hurry up.... we are all waiting!!;)

1. Does the kit include the fiberglass luggage tray / rear fender liner? That would seem like an easy part to fabricate and would be functional
Sorry Chuck not sure of Fran's plans in that area.

2. Noted the engine cover in the pics setting in the background. Is the expectation to mount a dummy fan in it, perhaps electrically powered just for fun?
Yeah, I would use personally fit a dummy fan. I think if you were going to go to the expense of a functional fan, then you would be thinking about the full tube for tube frame option.

3. Is it set up for an AC unit? Looks like lots of space under the dash, and presumabley it would not be too hard to add a compressor.
As far as I know it's not offered as the idea is a light weight race car. Space is tight.

The close up of the rear makes the rear tires look thin...
Actually I think they are a good compromise considering the owners budget. You've got to think about performance & replacement cost if you are going to do a fair bit of track work. There are always options for going wider.

comparing frans 917 to the photos of the the red salzburg car dont work because thar red salzburg car with the 917 motor next to it on a crate is an LMK not a real 917.

Fran said AC *might* be possible, but it would be hard to find a place to put the condenser, IIRC.

Also, doing a top mount fan on a flat 6 is possible, but VERY expensive and a big pain to maintain, from the research I did. Supposedly a couple different sources were working on a retro type kit to convert them, but nobody has come up with a reliable design. While I'd love to put a top mount fan on mine, it'll stay rear. I'm going with a fairly well built 993 engine making probably 350HP and a 930 gearbox flipped with a good LSD. My car should be done in a couple weeks, too (and is in the Gulf livery).

--Donnie

HI Jason

Graham has an LMK, and loaned Fran some original 917 body components that needed a lot of work and alteration, Its fair to say that Graham did not develop this car but RCR did.
In return for the loan of the body panels Fran supplied Graham with an extra body.
These are facts.

Regards

Chris Melia.

Chris and Jason,
Thankyou for being my voice Chris !!!
There was initially a lot more to it than those simplistic words but i definitely take NO credit for the RCR as you see it now, only kick starting Fran into his interpretation of the 917project in the very beginning.
I am only interested in the original design concept and looks, as i have to stick to definite historic based regulations for racing here in the UK and Europe.

Graham Turner.

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
Great looking car. The only things I would change are the dash and the engine (more power, more power!) :)

Fran, (anyone) how does the leg and head room in the tube/tub 917 compare with the Superlite Coupe?

I can tell you the tube 917 has no head/leg room. It's a direct clone, and the originals had no room. You need to be like 5'9" or less.

Fran says the tub version should be fine for a 6'3" or so person, at least. Not sure about more. I believe the SL-C has even more room.

--Donnie

The mono/tube 917 is a very roomy car inside, leg room is on par with the RCR40, and SLC.

917Small2.jpg

9172Small.jpg

9173Small.jpg

9174Small.jpg

9175Small.jpg

9176Small.jpg

note:the dash pictured isn't standard, and I shot these pics just after unloading the car (front end lift system is ~half way up.)

9177Small.jpg

Also the rear wheel and tire sizing works great, as the car is very, very balanced. I would expect steam unnecessary rolling-and-unsprung weight...roller sized rears would upset this greatly, not too mention add a lot of unsprung weight.

Back