RCR Chassis #14 Ron McCall

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
I like em..... Looks nice for the "dress" shoes. Less mean...more pretty. If you are totally on the fence, maybe something in the middle. Just paint the spokes.....

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I agree with Rob. I like the dress shoes analogy. I prefer the black wheels with the car, but I also prefer the 15 inch size. The shiny rim definitely gives a more modern look. I guess it depends on whether you want a different look or not.

I wonder if the 17's wouldn't look better in black (hides the size better) and the 15's in the 2-tone. Maybe you need 3 or 4 sets of wheels. :D

Ron,
I definitively like more the 15´s, but I am a purist!
The 17´s look too modern for a 60´s car.

A question, Did you have to modify a lot the front and rear wheel wells? They look fantastic in your car! (with the 15´s!)

Ron McCall

Supporter
I hear you guys!!! LOL
Another option I have been thinking about is to just paint the "webbing" between the spokes.

Mark: I as thinking the exact same thing!

Ron McCall

Supporter
Ron,
I definitively like more the 15´s, but I am a purist!
The 17´s look too modern for a 60´s car.

A question, Did you have to modify a lot the front and rear wheel wells? They look fantastic in your car! (with the 15´s!)

I also like the 15" wheels much better but getting quality tires is a pain in the ass!!
I got tired of wearing out a set of Hoosiers every 800 miles!!!!

How about some Avons, Ron.

Most original cars use Avons CR6ZZ when not in a race track.

Tell me about your wheel wells!

Ron McCall

Supporter
How about some Avons, Ron.

Most original cars use Avons CR6ZZ when not in a race track.

Tell me about your wheel wells!

I thought about the Avons. I'm not sure how long they would last on the street and they are pretty expensive.
The rear wheel wells were trimmed for the 15" Hoosiers.The 17"
tires actually have more room.
The fronts have not been trimmed at all. They clear fine but I may trim them a small amount just to be sure..
As it stands now,they are unaltered.

Ron

Black, YOur car is so low in the rear that almost the complete top of the tires is hidden by the fender and one can only see the poslished rim. Also the posished looks to shiny on your pure race car look. Make em black.

How about going wide over this winter, take a look at my flare design in my build log, they flow nicely with the bodylines and don´t look fat ass just musculous.

TOM

Would make much more sense to make or purchase a 'wide' rear clip- preferably lightweight to accomodate wider -race- rubber, than cut up a perfectly good painted clip.

You guys really should look at the Nittos in 15s. The rears go all the way up to 335 I believe.They are listed as drag radials, but others here on the forum have nothing but good remarks about them.

You guys really should look at the Nittos in 15s. The rears go all the way up to 335 I believe.They are listed as drag radials, but others here on the forum have nothing but good remarks about them. You will need the Gulf flares for the big ones. I think the 295s might fit the standard rears. I believe the fronts are 225. There is a post here about the 15s, and other statistics on them. I got mine at Discount Tire.Car is at the ignition shop, so no recent photos.

Bill

Attachments

• P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 375
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 340
IIf you are on the fence about black or shiny centers, try black duct tape on the spokes of one wheel and stand back and compare.one with other. Should give you a pretty good idea of the final look.

Ron,

Black all the way! Your car has the most kick a@@ historic blue colour that I have seen on a replica and I (as most others) just melt when I see photos of it, squashing weeds with the blacked out 15s and all of your beautiful and well researched period-piece body touches. Go 17's if you have to (for the track?), but paint them out in black.

Blacked out rims just look so '50's, when they used to paint their spoked wheels black. They just add so much to the historic look! My 2c.

I ran a late model 17" on my cobra and polished the outer inch late in the piece. I will undoubtedly receive significant grief over not using original style spinners on the cob, and for that reason, there is no way I am gonna 'fess up and tell you all what I used for the motor and `box.....;-)

Black, Buddy, all the way!

Gaz.

Attachments

• P1010555 75.jpg
    P1010555 75.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 382
Hey' Gazzah, you could always post the link to -You Tube- for the Cobra, they dont have to look at the pics, just turn the sound up & all will be forgiven over the ***** powerplant:)

YouTube - Aprilia RSV Vs AC Cobra

Hey, Ron, I don't want to hijack your build thread, but I think all petrol heads will enjoy the sound of a V8 roaring its unbaffled lake pipes off through the hills and 8 open throttle bodies consuming large amounts of air and small animals. Delete this post, Ron, if it is inappropriate. Maybe SysOp can move the link to a different place on the forum? 'The driver' received a bit of grief on YT about cutting corners on the road, but rest assured, Gents, 'the driver' reassured me that there was always 100% visibility. Enjoy. Speakers up.

Gaz.

Last edited:

Ron McCall

Supporter
Ghazzah: No problem at all about the video! It was very cool.
I think you need to add some more gauges to the dash though! ;)

I have made a decision (with the help of my wonderful wife and all of you guys here.) on the wheels! I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow when it is finished. I think I came to the perfect compromise.

Ron,

Is your email address still good - I sent several emails to you in the last week and they all bounced back!

John:
thumbsup:

Back