Supporter
6th.............

Attachments

• 126_2652 (Small).JPG
    126_2652 (Small).JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,593

JayPSC

Deceased 5-24-07, RIP
Looks awesome, really can't wait to get stuck into mine. Exactly how I anticipate mine looking except I'm gonna go for a darker shade of blue.

Jay

Keith

For me, what makes this car so interesting is it's stance, and not for one moment does this mean I am not recognising Ron's brilliant work, but this car (or make of car) has the best "natural stance" of any 'replica' I've yet seen, without months of suspension tweaking, unless we're talking about the rare RML's - and they've something in common: both marques have been produced by professional race car designers/manufacturers. (RML sadly only produced 6 examples, but remain a "must have" apart from an original of course:D ).

As one who has been around tin top and sports car racing for almost 45 years - you know the saying...."if it looks right" etc etc

The front & rear wheels tuck nicely inside the arches as you would expect from a stiffly sprung suspension and, you know, it just looks quick standing still: this without the motor and trans!

I have to say, Ron's car would pass as an original even with more than just a cursory glance....

Hope you guys don't mind my totally unbiased comments...:)

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Keith -

I agree, I looked a bunch of photos of many of the manufacturers and many have a different stance. A few people took the time to get them to sit like Ron's car, but many just looked 'jacked up', was never sure if the tire/suspension/body but didn't look good. I think a few people commented about this when I posted some feed back on the different cars I was looking at. The stance and overall menacing look of Ron's car is what I'm looking to hit as well. I am really looking forward to seeing BillD's car with the oil drum rear tires as well, that should be a nice looking car as well.

Sandy

Ron i have a question for you. I was looking at the beginning pages of your build and saw you had your chassis powdercoated and it looks like rhino lined the bottom. May i ask, did you have the aluminum panels welded on or riveted? If they were welded do you mind telling me the process? Thanks and i'ts looking great!!

Keith

StiggF99 said:
Ron i have a question for you. I was looking at the beginning pages of your build and saw you had your chassis powdercoated and it looks like rhino lined the bottom. May i ask, did you have the aluminum panels welded on or riveted? If they were welded do you mind telling me the process? Thanks and i'ts looking great!!

As its 95% welded aluminium monocoque chassis - I guess that's the answer! I'll bet there's a few rivets on it though - just a few.;)

Yes but, do you rivet 1 or 2 then weld, then powder coat? Or do you tac weld the panels on then powdercoat?

Ron McCall

Supporter
Thanks very much for the comments.I agree that the stance of a car is VERY important.You see these custom car builders all the time start a car project with the wheels and tires so that the stance of the car is correct then they build the car around them.
When it is finished the front will sit about 1/2" to 1" lower than it is now.The rear is right where I want it.It can actually go a bit lower if I want to.

Stigg: The chassis is fully welded aluminum.All of the welding is done when it comes from RCR .After mock-up, I removed the suspension ,body,roll bar.etc.... and sent it to the powdercoaters.

Stigg.

the chassis is completely manufactured from aluminum...the panelling you refer to is the actual load bearing chassis structure....this type of construction is called a monocoque.

Hope this helps

Back