RCR's new car..962

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Hey Perry, I have that same pellet gun that's in the background of your picture. LOL

Attachments

• tabledartblockcf.jpg
    tabledartblockcf.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 480
I would love to get my hands on a v12 to make a turbo system. My fabrication goals would be complete. I would really like to see this engine setup. My eyes are peeled for upcoming pics.

Dusty, I would suggest looking at the new EFR turbo line up from Borg Warner. Unless you have plans to go with a set of Owens edition TR30R Garrett turbos from the UK. They would be my only choices for a turbo on this car.

Last edited:

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
Jay,

That makes two of us. Fran just started the build on the 962, so pics should come at some point. I can PM the handful he sent me. I'd definitely like to do twin turbs on the Merc motor.

Hey Perry, I have that same pellet gun that's in the background of your picture. LOL

Harbor freight special.
It wouldn't hurt a squirrel.
I got it to chase them damn coons off my roof !!

I will be visiting Fran in a few weeks at RCR and can't wait to see Dusty's 962 coming along :cool:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Fran,

I have long been big fan of the 962, but the Douer body is to me by far the best, any chance of RCR doing that one?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Nope..sorry....there is a reason the Dauer costs a million dollars or more...now if we are talking that kind of money, then yes absolutely...but until then..you are stuck with a plain boring off the shelf 962c

Fran,

I have long been big fan of the 962, but the Douer body is to me by far the best, any chance of RCR doing that one?

Jim, + 1 on the Dauer
The body style of the Dauer 962 is timeless even though its over 20 years old.

I agree with Fran, the cost to make a kit to replicate the Dauer's body/chassis/drivetrane exactly would cost a lot of money. There are so many little subtle body details you would have to start from scratch. The Dauer cab is even widened a few inches compared to a racing version 962 for extra interior room.
No worries for me as my girlfriend is 115 lbs. wet so I'll make her a mini racing seat. ;-)
I plan on doing some body modifications on Fran's kit to personalize it to my liking.

IMO the "off the shelf " 962C Fran is offering is awesome as is or a great starting point to come up with your own spin off of the Porshe 962 body style like I plan to do. He did mention on the phone a long tail version as one of the rear body choices he might offer which would mean a little less body work for me.

Here's a 962c that's not " off the shelf " like Fran's but under with all that downforce LOL

Picasa Web Albums - Michal

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
For a similar price to the SLC or GT40 kit you get a superb starting point like Perry said. Fran could get you the long tail version with integrated wing, but it would be $20k extra. Up to you, but I've come to gladly, well heck gleefully accept the short tail with add on wing "c" look.

There are other 962 makers. They use tube steel/moly frames and the same short tail with detached wing. Fran has the best price and he uses both an Al monocoque, plus the frame. No welded chrome moly or mild steel, except the roll cage. Plus he mounts the motor and transaxle for ya, suspension, nice gelcoat you name it. The other guys charge nearly double the price and then some. You don't get anymore magnesium or titanium parts, long tail or free motor etc. Their waitlists are spotty. Fran has an actual production line, build schedule and a genuinely nice guy to talk to.

Speaking of which I ended up getting a 996 GT2 motor for mine. So I can say it is a mostly faithful repro. LOL.

I'm seeing multiple issues with that setup, but my mother always told me that if I didn't have anything nice to say...

My only comment will be, I hope that that car is being built for street use and NOT track use. :)

Keith

Well now Crash you've gone and totally ignored what your Mother advised, by inference, so exactly what's wrong with it for track use (from the limited pictures shown)

Looks very much to my untrained eye to be a copy of the original 917 chassis but with better welding!

(shame about the motor :) )

Guys

It is actually the standard RCR 917 Semimonocoque version of the 917 with a custom fitted LS3/376, 930 Gearbox, custom fuel tank setup ( 3 tanks one of which is a catch tank); custom radiators. It also will have the original style centerwing and gurney flaps installed.

Purpose is not hardcore racing but competing in standard track day events ( against GT3´s, Ferraris and so on) < 1000kg; app 500 hP should be some fun.

TOM

Well, if that engine is an LS3, which is what it looks like to me, then the very well known issue of not being dry sumped and then going BOOM when put on the track may be an issue.

Beside that, not being DS, that thing is WAY high in the chassis. Although it doesn't look like the engine/trans can go much lower anyway because of the way the trans ends up.

And the other stuff, well...:lipsrsealed:

Last edited:
Back