RCR's Next car should be.....

Sure sure, I'll get right on it. :)

Ideas such as this are CHEAP, finished products are EXPENSIVE. If Fran had enough people wanting to put cash behind their enthusiasm he would probably consider the idea.

I develop ideas into finished products for a day job. I know exactly what it takes, ideas are the cheap part - make no mistake about it.

This is all for fun and a healthy exchange of possibilities and maybe the inspiration for "the next car' just as the thread title suggests.

I have big respect for what RCR has done, my little design work is just that. Little.

:anxious:...developing cars is really cheap and easy so Rob should have it done in no time flat...

<chuckle>
I used to doodle cars all the time in grade school...I still do it now :) You are a bad influence, giving me and many others the framework to continue as an uh...adult (?) You bad man you. I remember when I put my money down, the SLC was still (literally) a frame and a pile of parts on the ground, the body plug was all I had to go on. But in my mind I could see the future .... I was already doodling my childhood dreams on that body.

Yup the day job calls....luckily we are all a bunch of gearheads here!

Just to chime in with my $0.02 (and thats Canadian funds which is almost $0.02 USD)), I REALLY like the more laid back front edge of the roofline. I was in Toronto and got a chance to "sit" in Toby Fellows SLC. (thanks Toby- what a machine!!!) I'm 6'7" and it was apparent with the usual monkeying around (lay seat back, bolt to floor, drop pan) I could fit comfortably.

If the front of the windshield was lower (not the whole roofline, just the front) it wouldnt affect headroom as you are way back in the cockpit. Visually, laying the windshield back (and laying back the rollbar angle to match) makes the car much meaner, more aggressive looking IMHO.

If you looked at the SLC from the side and thought of the windshield as hinged at the lower front leading edge where it meets the hood, could you, from a side view, waterjet a wedge out of the bottom of the windshield: nothing at the front, couple inches as it reaches the door opening? Reposition the front edge of the rollbar to match (it would now lean back). Sounds easy on paper!

Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I cant wait to see what you guys all do with your SL-C's..... once you have one in your garage that is....:thumbsup:

Dont forget that you actually need some upward visibility...as you are sitting well below the usual traffic beltline....too short of a screen and you get mailslot tunnel vision....just saying....taking orders for stock SL-C's now...wink

RCR's next car should be based on the current Lotus chassis and include mounting points for an LS-7 and Ricardo gearbox and the needed bodywork to cover it.

Hennesy has done this but they are not going to make it fly like Fran could.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Dont forget that you actually need some upward visibility...as you are sitting well below the usual traffic beltline....too short of a screen and you get mailslot tunnel vision....just saying....taking orders for stock SL-C's now...wink

Hmmm... I don't think that would be a problem for the SL-Lemans! ;)

april508013Small.jpg

april508012Small.jpg

april508010Small.jpg

If only I had the space for yet another project....

There are nearly 1000 post to Frans Next car should be. I know most of this is in good fun but this really shows the respect the forum members have on Fran's ability. This thread may be the biggest compliment next to buying his cars of course.

Theon

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
This is a fun thread with many people listing their very favourite cars...many of them the greatest classics of our time...it just shows what a bunch of eclectic automotive loons we really all are....long may it continue...

I reckon I have finally worked out why the SLC ended up with such a high roofline profile... its just something that happened in Frans very early days & he has never been able to get it out of his thoughts... looks like you guys will be stuck with this design trait forever, unless like Mesa you get out the tape & jigsaw...

Last edited:
OHHHHH....that's just not right.
Adds new meaning to the phrase "deep undercover"

I had wondered where you were too Jac but did you really need to post pics of your coming out party?
AAhhhrrrrrggghhhh.

Last edited:
OHHHHH....that's just not right.
Adds new meaning to the phrase "deep undercover"

I had wondered where you were too Jac but did you really need to post pics of your coming out party?
AAhhhrrrrrggghhhh.

Look closer if you dare at the 'newborn', has a certain resemblance to the chap that helped conceive that 'car' your about to do some plastic surgery on... s'pose you should be pleased that he settled on SLC for a moniker or you might all be driving around in something called a _ _ _ ina!

AutoNut

CURRENTLY BANNED
Love the Mesa and Jac chops w/ the roof line for sure! At the same time I understand that the car is so low that the 'height' needs to be made up w/ the glass/roof w/ existing design.

Back