RCR's Next car should be.....

Speaking as somebody's who's 5'7 1/2 - you know, average height, not like you freaky tall giants :D - chop the top! Less weight, looks cooler :laugh:

Couldnt agree more, but it looks like Fran only cater's for Tall Poppies, even though he appears to be a little vertically challenged himself:)

Jac
I like your re-contouring of the roof line, looks slick. I have been looking at the very same thing since I first received my car, the only thing that has kept me from chopping away at the roof (like I need to start ANOTHER modification) is what to do about the windshield. Your profile modification has me thinking on it again THANKS a lot (not). I think it would look great, but how to pull it off without adding another year to the build?

Hey...the American demographic is a little taller than me ..I am 5'8"...the steroid filled chicken and burgers we eat here have a lot to answer for.....and as this is where many SL-C are staying....the decision is made...
BUT...as its a self build car for many, you can make it to float your own boat....Jac will never buy anything that wasnt built in a sheep shed anyway...

I considered simply increasing the height of the roof scoop on my SL-C, decided to leave it alone. It really would look completely out of proportion. The "Street Tail"
is the answer for those that wish to have a more flowing line in profile. It's already here guy's.

Rob,
When you decide to chop your top, I got dibs on your fg'd vent system for the roof.

I do like the chopped top too as it more resembles the IMSA cars (Mazda 787b in particular ;)) but I'm 5'9 and my car has no sunken floorpan, seats mounted to the floor and there is just enough room as it is. I suppose I could install a Tempurpedic bed as Fran suggested but I'm afraid I'd fall asleep at the wheel.

Dave
Since one's noggin is sitting so far back in the cab the headroom while seated in the normal driving position would not change, as that part of the roofline would not change. The limitation would be that one (regardless of height) would not be able to lean forward. If you did your head would hit the roof (even for shorter-than-Fran me). It would also cause a certain amount of the "looking through tank slits" forward view. All this is academic, the car is what it is, if we want to chop it up to suit our own taste we are free to do so.

Hey...the American demographic is a little taller than me ..I am 5'8"...the steroid filled chicken and burgers we eat here have a lot to answer for.....and as this is where many SL-C are staying....the decision is made...

Good ol' fashioned American boys love that them there carberateurs and not the devil EFI nonsense, so we should definitely be putting that test engine/manifold in and making sure a carb fits, yesssssss? :drunk:

I cannot believe that you are 5'8" Fran??? I've met you, and you didn't seem short. However, I spose anyone under about 6'2" looks the same to me.
On a strictly aesthetic basis, the car looks too humpy for me. I'd like it looking lower, but hey, I'm unfortunately not buying one so it doesn't matter.

Alright I you guys have me worried. I am 6'3" and 235lbs (to much of that chicken Fran talked about) although I plan to be back to my fighting weight of 215lbs for the wedding and at time of build. I have been able to fit in an OMP HTE so I am all good for seats but the hight thing has me worried. I might have to go single seater just to FIT LOL.

If I have to be THAT GUY that has his head rubbing the roof line (or maybe the roofless version will be out by that time) SO BE IT SLC here I come!!!!

Alright I you guys have me worried. I am 6'3" and 235lbs (to much of that chicken Fran talked about) although I plan to be back to my fighting weight of 215lbs for the wedding and at time of build. I have been able to fit in an OMP HTE so I am all good for seats but the hight thing has me worried. I might have to go single seater just to FIT LOL.
There is plenty of room as it is. I've had my friend sit in the car and he just lays the seat back a bit more to get adequate head clearance (this was just for mock up purposes though). There is also a sunken floor pan option that adds another inch or two for clearance.

I guessing no one ordered the open top SLC.
But for the price of a DOT windshield ..... :)

Attachments

• chop top.jpg
    chop top.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 475
  • chop top b.jpg
    chop top b.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 487
Dont worry Rob...its still happening....but with the Coupe selling so well,its tough to find the time to finish the Le Mans

Nice little doodles you have there...

You guys shouldn't be encouraging me......:knife:
So let's do the windshield, it's the only thing that prevents this from happening. Anyone care to share the expense? John your Ferrari will go so well with this look! With the top off all you NBA players will fit with no problem.

HAHAhaha - Theon you made my day. Thank you.

The car depicted is actually a composite of a few different SLCs

A base RCR SLC in red from Arizona
With one-off quarter panels pasted on from my SLC
Wheels by Forgeline
The roof was re-contoured and the windshield created in Corel

It's just an idea at this point.
BUT...like I said before - you guys REALLY shouldn't be encouraging me...I spent the evening trying to figure out how to pull this off for real. My poor car has tape and sharpie marks all over it now!

Back