RCR's Next car should be.....

It's a Caterham, blown up 150%. And it's ugly.

Edit: It looks like this....
JarJarHS-SWE.jpg
I have never been more in agreement on any automotive styling comment than on this... Completely hideous!
Jennifer

The M20...last of the series Pete Lyons has a nice set of photos on his website. McLaren M20 1972-73-74 - Images | petelyons.com

This completely fits with the RACE Car Replica theme, and would make a nice companion to the T-70, P4, 917, and GT40.....The mono chassis is beginning to show the layout of the most modern cars of that era, with the narrow front side sponson behind the front wheels, also found in the Lola T330-332 family and the closed wheel derivatives that followed. Side radiator layout lowered cockpit temperatures and allowed front down force enhancement. Could be a nice fair-weather street/track day car or even club racer car with appropriate cage...Think large LS engine..perhaps Arao 4 valve heads and Kinsler injection with tall trumpets FI..araoengineering.com/lsx.htm http://www.kinsler.com/ Still a motorhead girl...even in my '60s Jennifer

Last edited:
Jennifer, couldn't agree with you more. Many of the CanAm cars of that era would be great but the McLaren M20 has always been one of my favorites at vintage events. It does seem like the chassis would carry over nicely and I like the scale of this variation nicely for a street car, but the front over hang is going to make street use tough. I drive cars with 2-3" ground clearance, but overhang will kill ya.

Others that might work: M6-B or M8-A in Bruce's Orange would be sweet.

John, as an owner of a couple MG's and a Hoosier, I can't clear my mind for your abbreviation. What is an "MG" mount to be installed on the roof?

Jeez, tough crowd. Funny how I feel the same way about some of the vintage racers posted here. Born in a different era I guess...

Jennifer, couldn't agree with you more. Many of the CanAm cars of that era would be great but the McLaren M20 has always been one of my favorites at vintage events. It does seem like the chassis would carry over nicely and I like the scale of this variation nicely for a street car, but the front over hang is going to make street use tough. I drive cars with 2-3" ground clearance, but overhang will kill ya.

Others that might work: M6-B or M8-A in Bruce's Orange would be sweet.

Oh yes, DO I know about low clearance and overhang..My daily driver is C5 Corvette lowered a long way down..I have about 3 and half inches under-clearance...and the front overhang is ALWAYS hitting..This coming year I need to add metal to the skids under the front, so much as worn off! I am always avoiding speed bump roads, as many of them are tall enough to scrape the heck out of the car bottom. I also constantly search for the least steep "ramps" for places I go, and figure out ways to go at an angle to avoid the head on interference. ...I have a new front end that converts the radiator air intake to the front, like C6 and C7 Vettes, and when that gets mounted on the car next spring, the underside air dam can be moved back closer to the axle line. but the overall overhang will remain an issue...but one I am willing to live with! Funny to think of it this way, but my Vette is so low it would not pass scruineering for LeMans as per the 1960s era rules!

Yep. But I think he was just 'joshin with you folks..

Absolutely not. I'm putting an FN Minimi (belt fed .223) on the top of my Can-Am Commander UTV with a tree-climber's harness attached to the cage so the gunner can stand in the bed without risk of being tossed out of the vehicle.

JR

Attachments

• Minimi.jpg
    Minimi.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 253
John, you know Ray T., at the track, with the Ligenfelter bronze C6 is a big machine gun fan too. If you haven't met him yet, He's a hoot from Indy....I'm sure Chris can put you in touch.

I like the exoskeleton suv. If the gun used an ammo belt one could afix the classic " Happiness is a belt fed weapon." to the rear of the vehicle.

On a different note I ran across this little gem mining for automotive treasure on the web.

Porsche_906_Concept_5_by_cipriany.jpg

I kind of like the original 904 (and the replica Beck 904) and the 906 as well but this kind of blew me away. I am not a die hard Porsch-o-phile at all. But this I would seriously consider.

all the best gentlemen

Pete

Back