RCR's Next car should be.....

Pretty simple...

Name any grand touring car that weighs under 2800 pounds, is powered with a large engine of some sort, and is beautiful in design (short overhangs, 100-109" wheelbase, two door coupe, etc). Honestly, the new Mercedes AMG Gt is pretty close to perfect. It looks really good (not amazing), weight is in check (for a Mercedes), and the engine is pretty solid too.

I'd love a Gt car that not only performs well on the track, but tours well too. And I don't want a Porsche, Corvette, BMW, Mercedes, etc.
Gotcha. 2800 lbs will never be met in a production GT. That would be unique for Superlite.

The AMG GT seems to fit the bill quite well for you. How about f type? Or Aston? Nice Astons can be picked up incredibly cheap used.

Agreed. I would have thought that the big manufacturers have that segment well covered. A Subaru BRZ or Lotus Elise / Exige provides decent practicality with good performance, starting quite cheap. For me, component cars are about simplicity and getting the driver closer to the mechanics.

As I've said before, practical for me would be adding a third seat, which could double as a luggage area. I do like the central driving position of the Nemesis, but would prefer a closed cockpit. No production car (that I know of) offers that. I love the McLaren F1, but would like to see a Superlite original with the same basic layout, although I seem to be a bit 'special' in that regard.

I have thought about a Nemesis tandem for commuting, but my laptop bag would be a bit vulnerable in the rear seat, and I'd feel very exposed to flying debris.
BRZs are great cars but a bit cheap and slow when it comes down to it. Elises aren't exactly practical haha. I think Justin is looking for a high end, high power, long nose GT like the AMG GT.

You're not alone on the F1... Fran made a custom 3 seat heavily widened chassis setup like the F1 for a customer years back if I remember correctly.

Also, don't even bother pestering Fran for a closed cockpit nemesis. He made it clear to me he's not a fan when I asked :sad:
My reason for asking...
tumblr_lrzx6dAUSv1qbm0mn.jpg

Last edited:
F-Type- Very nice, but too heavy and being a Jaguar, I'd expect the ride to be softer than it is. I'll pass up some seconds on the track for a smoother grand touring ride. The F Type was swinging for the 911 (WHY???) when it should've just been it's own thing. Was the E Type Jaguar going after Ferrari's back then? Not really (in my opinion). Jag designed what they thought was the sexiest grand touring car they could make in their own class. That's probably why E Types have that legendary status.

Aston Martins- Yes. Beautiful cars. I love the Vanquish V12. Smallest car of the bunch that packs a 550+ horsepower whopper of an engine. BUT.... Astons are becoming to similar. Maybe they're trying to do the Porsche evolution game or something like that. I don't know, but it just bothers me as a car person that I have no idea what model is what until I see the badge on the rear bumper.

Again, a lightweight component built grand touring coupe would be the cat's meow to me. I love a long nose, small cockpit car. One of my favorite cars is the Viper (gen 2 GTS and Gen 4 Coupes and ACRs). As wicked as they are, they still aren't special enough for me to pick one up. I'd rather have the upcoming GT-R (NOT the Nissan...) because it's even more raw than the Viper, and can be built any way that I desire. And I desire a well-rounded package. 500hp, 2500lbs, and can be driven on the street as easily as it can be driven on the track.

Unless Fran has a Gt car coming in the next 3 years, I'll be going after the GT-R... Or maybe the HT2.... ;)

Agreed. I would have thought that the big manufacturers have that segment well covered. A Subaru BRZ or Lotus Elise / Exige provides decent practicality with good performance, starting quite cheap. For me, component cars are about simplicity and getting the driver closer to the mechanics.

I cannot put a 7 liter v8 in a BRZ.

Please refer to the Panzo GT1 for reference to what I'm imagining... A modern thoroughbred front engine race car....

Astons, Jags and all them are focused on luxury first and performance second. It seems like frans SL-C is the other way around. It would be nice to see if he could come up with something front engine with the same idea... Also, BTW, v12 vanquish is 4100lbs....

BRZs are great cars but a bit cheap and slow when it comes down to it. Elises aren't exactly practical haha.

Being that I own one (FT86), I'm going to disagree partially. And no, I'm not a fanboi, I just find it to be a great car for what it was made for.

It is slow, if you want to drag race. I don't or I would've got a Mustang or Camaro.

It is not slow if you want to take on winding roads. As my buddy with a Mustang GT said when we swapped for a short drive, "you'd drop me on anything twisty". Keep the 86 revved up and take it on some good corners and it isn't slow. I know it is nowhere near supercar, but it also is less likely to get me in legal trouble or hurt. Taking my local Hwy onramp cloverleaf at twice the speed of other cars makes me grin.

It is cheap, as it was intended to be. That's a big part of why I didn't get a Z.

I agree the Elise is not a daily commuter. It was on my list to consider a used Elise/Exige but just not user friendly enough.

I won't be putting a big motor in mine. A few minor tweaks and it is super fun.

Being that I own one (FT86), I'm going to disagree partially. And no, I'm not a fanboi, I just find it to be a great car for what it was made for.

It is slow, if you want to drag race. I don't or I would've got a Mustang or Camaro.

It is not slow if you want to take on winding roads. As my buddy with a Mustang GT said when we swapped for a short drive, "you'd drop me on anything twisty". Keep the 86 revved up and take it on some good corners and it isn't slow. I know it is nowhere near supercar, but it also is less likely to get me in legal trouble or hurt. Taking my local Hwy onramp cloverleaf at twice the speed of other cars makes me grin.

It is cheap, as it was intended to be. That's a big part of why I didn't get a Z.

I agree the Elise is not a daily commuter. It was on my list to consider a used Elise/Exige but just not user friendly enough.

For a daily driver, the BRZ might be fun. I like the idea of this supercharger kit for it: Innovate Motorsports Twin Screw Supercharger System Stage 1 Tuner Subaru BRZ 2013-2014 / Scion FR-S 2013-2014 6010 at RallySportDirect.com

But, i dont think Fran makes any practical or cars meant for daily driving....

I agree. No disrespect meant. I think it's a fantastic car for what it was made for. I'd go so far as to say it was a game changer. I was simply saying that it is unfair to put a BRZ in the same league as higher end GT cars like were mentioned previously. Our discussion went from AMG GT, porsche, mercedes, bmw, etc to a BRZ; they're not in the same league as the GT cars Justin mentioned.

Last edited:
I agree. No disrespect meant. I think it's a fantastic car for what it was made for. I'd go so far as to say it was a game changer. I was simply saying that it is unfair to put a BRZ in the same league as higher end GT cars like were mentioned previously. Our discussion went from AMG GT, porsche, mercedes, bmw, etc to a BRZ; they're not in the same league as the GT cars Justin mentioned.

No worry, I wasn't taking that as disrespect and even if people around these parts hated the 86, it's no skin off my privates as I enjoy it.

I agree, it is not in the league of the others listed! It's more akin to a Miata, 240/280Z, and so on.

It is funny on the Ft86 forums how many people get them and then gripe about not being able to drop people from stoplights. It wasn't made for that silly!

No worry, I wasn't taking that as disrespect and even if people around these parts hated the 86, it's no skin off my privates as I enjoy it.

I agree, it is not in the league of the others listed! It's more akin to a Miata, 240/280Z, and so on.

It is funny on the Ft86 forums how many people get them and then gripe about not being able to drop people from stoplights. It wasn't made for that silly!

I agree, A guy i know has built a bunch of supercharged ones in his area and they make around 300rwhp, With the weight of the car he said its a blast to drive. I did see a 600-650whp turbo frs from a shop not long ago which was pretty sweet. I personally would opt for a 2jz, it would be like a brand new supra!!!!

World Fastest Toyota GT 86-2JZ Runs 9.1 @ 256 KM/H Built By EKanooRacing - YouTube

I cannot put a 7 liter v8 in a BRZ.

Please refer to the Panzo GT1 for reference to what I'm imagining... A modern thoroughbred front engine race car....

Astons, Jags and all them are focused on luxury first and performance second. It seems like frans SL-C is the other way around. It would be nice to see if he could come up with something front engine with the same idea... Also, BTW, v12 vanquish is 4100lbs....
If you want performance, why wouldn't you go mid-engined? Is it a styling choice, practicality, or something else?

There is front and rear mid-engines essentially. From a performance stance, as long as the engine is between the axle center lines, the difference is measurable but not insurmountable.

SLR's, F12's and even the lowly Z06 C7 are all that fall into this category for me. Shoot, my brothers modified Vette is rear biased.

Just playing Devil's advocate.

I agree, A guy i know has built a bunch of supercharged ones in his area and they make around 300rwhp, With the weight of the car he said its a blast to drive. I did see a 600-650whp turbo frs from a shop not long ago which was pretty sweet. I personally would opt for a 2jz, it would be like a brand new supra!!!!

World Fastest Toyota GT 86-2JZ Runs 9.1 @ 256 KM/H Built By EKanooRacing - YouTube

I could see the ~300hp range being ok, but to me part of the fun is that it isn't all that powerful. You have to figure out how to keep it going fast by driving it well. Braking, turning, and throttle control have to done well because you can't just mash the gas to keep going fast.

And the EKanoo car, well it is interesting but like I said instead of putting a new motor in the 86 to make it a drag car, why not start with something better suited to begin with?

I could see the ~300hp range being ok, but to me part of the fun is that it isn't all that powerful. You have to figure out how to keep it going fast by driving it well. Braking, turning, and throttle control have to done well because you can't just mash the gas to keep going fast.

And the EKanoo car, well it is interesting but like I said instead of putting a new motor in the 86 to make it a drag car, why not start with something better suited to begin with?

Personal preference I suppose. I wouldn't make one a drag car though, it would be strictly a street car that would see some track time.

Back