Request

Since Bill D put his marker down for Marchal Headlights over in the US, and I will no longer bid on them accordingly.

I would like to do the same for some Fiat 850 lights I have done so on eBay in the UK. I realise that some people may want to bid, but would certainly appreciate if they didn't. Ta

Brett

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Brett,
"but would certainly appreciate if they didn't. Ta"

be careful saying this on an open forum. I think it may backfire sooner or later. I can't remember where or when but it's ringing an alarm bell.
Dave M

Thanks Brent.
The bid on the Marchal lights is up to $350, and I'm not going to bid any higher. You can take over the bidding if you still need them.

Cheers
Bill D

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
If you don't need the buckets, you can get them for 299 I think from the other fellow. Not sure if excactly the same but look like it.

Sandy

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Brett,
Why are you going for the Fiat lights ?
I believe the correct units were from Marchal and came from a Simca 1000.
Try French eBay, they come up often.
Regards

Andy.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Bill

What lights are you using?

Over here the Vauxhall Viva club has an outlet that sells light buckes and adjusters - about £30 for a pair if memory serves me right

But it will depend on your lights

Ian

Thanks for the tip Ian.

I'm using Valeo headlights

gt40+108.jpg

Andy,
Not everyone is going 100% original. For a start I can't afford it all the way... plus I quite like the Fiat lights.

Brett

Last edited:

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Guys, there's nothing criminal or illegal about agreeing amongst yourselves how to (or not) bid on an auction. Similarly, there's no civil law claim or violation either (no tortious interference with contract, for example). Ebay may have bidders guidelines that they issue, but ebay is certainly not the law. The worst that could happen is ebay could perhaps ban you from their website but I'd think that's highly unlikely.

Here's an example of auction hanky panky that is significant (in contrast to the above, which is insignificant) and similarly not illegal: the big auction houses such as Barrett Jackson regularly "salt" their auctions by running through cars that the auction house either owns or are borrowing then bidding on their own cars up to crazy high prices for the purpose of creating the appearance of selling frenzy and high prices. Now, in my estimation, that's just outright deception and used car dealer bs at its absolute worst, but, it's not illegal nor is there a civil violation. It's just plain wrong, however, that's vastly different than a couple of guys agreeing not to bid against eachother on a $299 item....

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Genlemen,
An eBay "auction" is an auction (by any normal rules of conduct).

I placed a bid on a simple item a while back, and somebody whom I did not know contacted me and chided me for bidding against them ?

Many times in the past I have been contacted by guys who ask me not to bid against them for parts - just because they assume that they have seen these items first and ask me not to bid for fear of inflating the final cost of the sale.
So I have declined to bid for fear of upsetting some kind of non-existant cameraderie between us and this places me in a predicament.

Also, many times I have been outbid by last second sniping for high value items and some of those winners have know me personally however I have learned not to take offence because by the rules of bidding it should be a fair game.

Where do we go from here ?

EBay's new rules for bidding does not identify bidders by their IDs anymore and now only refers to bidders in the bid history relevant to the sequence of their bid ie. "BIDDER NO 5"

So in future please mark my words, I will now bid freely and not take it personally if somebody outbids me and wins. Similarly I will expect others to respect these new rules.

This will eliminate reverse "Shilling" and fear of upsetting anybody in due course.

Last edited:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
I purchased my third set of headlights with backing plates from the source from the Lebanon, on eBay. $299.00 per set.
Even tho the parcel was x rayed, he he.
James, you are right, im also sick of being asked to come to a 'deal' on auctions. From now, ill be bidding again all comers, including, no doubt, you matey, lol.
There is a simple way to uncover the blanking they use to hide bidder's id's, arent eBay useless.
Let there be light.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,
No problems this end.
My apologies for kicking off on your thread a wee bit.

Andy,
I'm glad that you are also of the same opinion regarding these buddy deals as there are some fakers out there.

Last edited:
I have contacted known bidders in the past (even recently).

To me there is no harm in knowing what each other are up to. Why bid against each other on items that come along fairly regularly. Also, the mere act of contacting others often reaps benefits in terms of gaining hints on where to find other parts. We're all aiming for the same thing, so why not help each other, rather than compete...

i agree though, if its a one off item then its every man for himself :D

Ebay's a funny old thing and everyone seems to have a different opinion of how things should be done but as Jim has pointed out, it's an auction, so the guy with the biggest pockets usually wins.
Personaly the `spot it and post it on the forum for all to see` idea doesn't sit that well with me as it's often this initial action that causes the eventual bad feeling.
I can see that it benefits members that are looking for an item if other members spot it and use the forum to make them aware it's out there but it's a double edge sword and often does more harm than good.
It does raise the question of just letting the grape vine do the work, after all, the only person that benefits is the seller sitting back and watching people trying to outbid each other and pushing the price up.
Good if you're the seller or have very deep pockets but not so good if you've been searching for some time and finally found what you're after, noted that it's only been viewed a couple of times and just when you think you're in with a good shot you see it posted on the forum and the price goes through the roof.
Yep, been there, done that, Doah!

Back