Right-hand drive in the U.S.?

Are there any U.S. based cars that went with the right-hand drive? Is left-hand drive a requirement for registration? I've seen some RHD cars around from time to time, and I think that it would be interesting to have a specialty car in this configuration, but I wouldn't want to shoot myself in the foot in terms of resale or being able to register the car.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
There are several RHD cars in the USA and on the road. Do a search as this subject has been broached before. There are no state or federal requirements for LHD. Subaru offers RHD as an option aimed at independant mail and newspaper carriers, several around here have one. I have driven both a 40 and an AC 428 with RHD on the street and it is not as big a deal as you might expect.

Rick

My last and present RF GT-40 are right hand drive. It take about 15 minutes to get used to it. Once you do you will love it, aspecially at the race track.

Cool, thanks. I tried a search but nothing came up. Is it better to go with a left-hand gearshift on a RHD car, or a right-hand gearshift? As I understand it, you avoid some linkage issues by putting the gearshift on the right?

Linkage problems might occur because of central position..
It depends on the routing, number of joints and lenght etc...roughly..
Original MkIII with central position were much worse than the right hand position according to those guy´s testing....
In the Pantera etc...it seems to show a lot of stress down the way from box to lever...
If the gearbox lever is on the right side as well as the lever.
And if you can route it pretty "straightforward", that would probably be less parts and less stress for the gear linkage !
Others may have other ideas...

grin.gif

Is there anything else than a RHD GT40 ?
shocked.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

The thing I was thinking of the most was that going on a fun drive on a twisty road, when you come up to pass a slower car...you are going to be on the wrong side to have a good view of oncomming traffic unless you sit WAAAAY back.

Oh and you can't go through a drive-through
grin.gif

The advantages of the right hand shift are that it goes in a fairly straight line to the gearbox. It is near impossible to get the same feel and exactness from a central shift. My RF has it with the standard rod shift (NO cables) and it is just superb. The downside is the gear shift must have been a ferret in a previous life and without fail heads up my trousers when getting in.Regards

And a few guys are building left hand drive, left hand shift cars too............Just have to teach that old left hand a few good moves..

RHD shouldn't be a problem in the country because the original cars (with the exception of a few MK IIIs) came that way anyway. Even the MK Vs (newer GT40s) are all RHD with Right gear shift. Not only is this feature true to the original design but it is so much more exotic too.

Cheers

Cool, I'll do it that way then. Plus, with the NZ kit, that option will save me a few bucks.

A

Your driving position is not that far from being central !!!
Because of gear stick among others....
(RHD and RHD stick)
wink.gif

Sorry

I feel oblidged to offer an alternate view.
Although the RHD is original. I prefer LHD
and believe a well engineered center shifter
is just as good. ERA doesn't seem to have a problem with theirs.

Hersh,
Isn't your RF center shifter? How do you like it?

MikeD

Mike,
I like it just fine. It did take a little
getting used to but I'm sure the same could
be said about the rod type as well. My
shifter operates on a huge cable set. They
seem to be extremely durable. I believe it's
the same type that's used in the McLaren F1.
It was easy to install too.

Hersh
smile.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Hershal,

You are exactly right. The McLaren F1 (arguably the BEST car ever built) uses bowden cables as I have done for our central gearchange. There are a very large number of current modle road cars that use the same style mechanism and are regarded well.

Two of the seven Mk III cars built were left hand drive , the other five were right hand drive. All were central gear change, but I believe the gear change was a rod one ala Pantara (could be wrong - never seen a real Mk III).

My preference is for the RHD right hand change because it is original, more direct and a GREAT talking point.

Best wishes,

Robert

Back