Roaring Forties # 61

Hey Bill the 40 looks great and sounds even better.Has the real''craftsmanship'' look especially under the hood.
Bill (Wilby)

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Nah, no excuses Jack.

I got the car back from the dyno tune, had some fueling issues that were resolved and my starter motor was shorting on the sump (I should never have gotten caught out by this, many GT40 owners have already sorted this out - see Mark Worthingtons build thread for details on how to fix this issue.).
Anyway, all sorted and the car produces a mild but healthy and very streetable 240 rwkw (approx 320rwhp) from a fairly stock 302 setup.

I'll see how I feel about the power once I've gotten used to it...:D

Attachments

• 04022008480.jpg
    04022008480.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,097
  • 09022008507.jpg
    09022008507.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 978

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Well done Bill. That's some fairly healthy horsepower, & should be quite enough for you to scare yourself with !!

Now its time to go & have some fun !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

looking very very nice Bill. You know I (and just about everyone else) have been hassling you to finish. Now that it is done I will start hassling you to take me for a ride. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh on Sunday.

Cheers

Jack

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Just want to clarify something I wrote in my last post due to a few surprised comments I received; the rwkw figure I posted was what the machine printed out, not a number I plucked out of my arse. It is a Dyno Dynamics unit that has been commissioned and operating for 24 months or so. The guy operating it is accredited and I asked him if it was possible that my hp reading was too high, I don't want to sound like a dick when I quote his figures. He said that due to the fact I don't have air filters, he hung the air temp probe to the trumpet instead of the insulated air filter material and this may have caused the probe to be susceptible to heat soak. It could affect the hp readings by 5% - 12rwkw. Additionally, he detuned the map slightly to eliminate a slight ping, so the final HP peak is 235.5rwkw as shown on the report, subtract 5% gives you about 220rwkw.
As far as the machine is concerned it is fully calibrated and has tuned many vehicles, and their hp figures have been duplicated on other dynos.

Whatever the number is, it feels quick through the seat of my pants and that is good enough for me. I'll post a copy of the hp readings soon.
Hope this clears things up...

Bill

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
I thought I'd add a photo and some videos as it has been ages since the car hit the road.

I'm slowly sorting the issues as time becomes available....

Video in the warehouse The Pesky dog is called Zeus - he loves noise.

At the traffic lights

I'll add some more in the coming days.

Cheers

Bill

Attachments

• 01022009310.jpg
    01022009310.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 594

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
No can do Jack. I have a family function I'm attending on that day.

I wish these shows were on Saturdays as I really wanted to go to it and the Hanging Rock show this weekend....

Hi Bill,
Have you taken off your door windows or have you got the moded with wind down windows?
Oh and great looking RF you have there...sounds good to on you tube!!
Regards, Gus.

Last edited:

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Gus

I actually had never put them on until about a week ago. I've had the car displayed at the F1GP for the last 4 days and needed them on.

R0011016.jpg
ING Girls
R0011047.jpg
Got to get those butt cheek prints off the car...
R0010969.jpg
Unadorned.

Cheers

Bill

I see you have a large parking fine on your windscreen. Still getting your Harem to pop along was quite a coup. Car looks great Bill.

Cheers

Jack

G’day Bill,
It was great to catch up with you and the car looked fantastic.

I must admit that if I caught any bimbo sitting or leaning on any car of mine in the way these are, the biggest thing that they’d have to worry about would be how hard my boot would be connecting with their backside. Grrrr… :whip:

Bill,

Love the sound of it idiling at the traffic lights, can you please post up some footage where the wind sound doesn't muffle out that sweet exhaust note.

cheers Stu

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Stu

Obviously this is an overdub of the sound it makes and not what it really sounds like. In actuality my wife's Corolla is louder.

I'll try and find you some more overdubbed footage without the wind muffle....:lipsrsealed:

Just want to clarify something I wrote in my last post due to a few surprised comments I received; ...

As far as the machine is concerned it is fully calibrated and has tuned many vehicles, and their hp figures have been duplicated on other dynos.

Whatever the number is, it feels quick through the seat of my pants and that is good enough for me. I'll post a copy of the hp readings soon.
Hope this clears things up...

Bill

The big thing is if you do upgrade/mod the engine and go back to where you got it tuned in the first place you will get an accurate indication of bangs for buck (HP per dollars spent)

HP numbers are reassuring at times but dyn'os are only at tool to tune the engine safely, and give objective result rather than subjective.

more than once I have tweek my car thinking it's going faster:shy:, only to have worse lap times:sad:

Stu

Obviously this is an overdub of the sound it makes and not what it really sounds like. In actuality my wife's Corolla is louder.

I'll try and find you some more overdubbed footage without the wind muffle....:lipsrsealed:

'Dub' away Bill. Just be sure to always have the wifes Corolla out driving with you, that why it will get all the attention. :laugh:

cheers
Stu

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
I haven't posted for a while, thought i'd post a photo someone took of me leaving a show recently.

I think this a nice angle...:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Roar 40 a.JPG
    Roar 40 a.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 424
Back