Roll Bar/Roll Cage in a GT40

Maybe this is a stupid question but I give it a shot anyway:
Is it possible to fabricate and install an approved race roll bar or roll cage in a GT40 after the build is completed?

Let's say I purchase a finished car, can it be done afterwards?
Or should I rather direct my search for a GT40 which already have this safety feature?
Thanks!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Simple answer,.........Yes. It is possible with a good fabricator to install a cage. The cage will depend upon what it is being "hooked" to, i.e a mono, a tube frame, etc.

Look for a good fabricator and you can have a decent cage.

Simple answer,.........Yes. It is possible with a good fabricator to install a cage. The cage will depend upon what it is being "hooked" to, i.e a mono, a tube frame, etc.

Look for a good fabricator and you can have a decent cage.

Thanks for chiming in.
Does it matter if car is a mono, space framed or tube framed car?

Are there maybe one particular brand of GT40's that have roll cages/roll bars installed?
Ie. is one car manufacturer preferred by those owners who need to have this safety equipment?

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks for the lead Ron, will check it out.

I went back and looked at that thread and it wasn't what I remembered it to be.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/race-track/33351-racing-gt40-replica-best-gt40-racing-2.html

If you can get through some of the banter from manufacturers and members alike I think there is some useful info there, but not as much as I remembered.

What do you need the roll cage in the car for? There are a couple of UK racers on the forum who could comment on regs for racing in the UK and maybe in Europe. As for the chassis type, a proper roll cage can be put into any chassis type and made safely. Just make sure you do plenty of research on the intended purpose and regs for the organization you wish to race with before you install it.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Are there maybe one particular brand of GT40's that have roll cages/roll bars installed?
Ie. is one car manufacturer preferred by those owners who need to have this safety equipment?

I think all of the manufacturers offer some sort of cage as an option. Superformace has two types, a "track day" style and a full FIA cage with side bars for vintage racing.

Remember that Ford as well some privateers added cages starting in 1966 when it became politcally unacceptable to be killing off your drivers at a high rate. for many years the accepted thought was "there are more where he came from" and a death in your race car was not unexpected. The institution of road car safety regulations brought attention to crash safety and survivial that transferred over to racing. The alleged callousness of Ferrari towards his drivers probably helped fuel the rise of better safety equipment or at least the popular image of his driver treatment did so.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Bjoern

Cages can be fitted to completed cars but its tricky to do.

Its easier to start with a chassis that has an integral cage.

We offer several cage options in our kit packages.

Thanks

Andy

I went back and looked at that thread and it wasn't what I remembered it to be.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/race-track/33351-racing-gt40-replica-best-gt40-racing-2.html

If you can get through some of the banter from manufacturers and members alike I think there is some useful info there, but not as much as I remembered.

What do you need the roll cage in the car for? There are a couple of UK racers on the forum who could comment on regs for racing in the UK and maybe in Europe. As for the chassis type, a proper roll cage can be put into any chassis type and made safely. Just make sure you do plenty of research on the intended purpose and regs for the organization you wish to race with before you install it.

Appreciate your info, thanks.
The roll cage is needed to be able to tech car for open road racing in the US.

I think all of the manufacturers offer some sort of cage as an option. Superformace has two types, a "track day" style and a full FIA cage with side bars for vintage racing.

Remember that Ford as well some privateers added cages starting in 1966 when it became politcally unacceptable to be killing off your drivers at a high rate. for many years the accepted thought was "there are more where he came from" and a death in your race car was not unexpected. The institution of road car safety regulations brought attention to crash safety and survivial that transferred over to racing. The alleged callousness of Ferrari towards his drivers probably helped fuel the rise of better safety equipment or at least the popular image of his driver treatment did so.

Are there maybe any pics, specs or drawings available of these two types of roll cages?

Ron Earp

Admin
Appreciate your info, thanks.
The roll cage is needed to be able to tech car for open road racing in the US.

You'll find more than enough folks on the forum who can help you out. My T70 replica is fully caged for SCCA/NASA events, has race log books to boot, and wears a license plate and road registration. So it can be done but it does take a lot of planning and communication with your racing sanctioning body.

Many of the time trial road events like the Silver State Challenge etc. don't have as strict a requirements for cages as SCCA rules for wheel to wheel racing. This is also true for the historical bodies as well. So sort out who you want to race with and then get their cage requirements.

Ron

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
opps...too quick on the button.

Attachments

• frangt9.jpg
    frangt9.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 535
  • GT-R TMM1.jpg
    GT-R TMM1.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 807
  • fran3.jpg
    fran3.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 549
  • P2090%20Side%20View.jpg
    P2090%20Side%20View.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 610

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Thanks for posting pics. I believe this is the SPF GT40R?
Side impact bars are not a requirement in open road racing like the Silver State Classic Challenge etc.

Yes,

That is the "R" cage. I can't get the non "R" four point cage picture to post.

As stated you can get the cage in most anything. Some of the cars like the RCRs can have the spyder removed fairly easily. So adding a cage is not such a big problem. Mine is a DRB and the spyder is not ever going to come off due to the way it was constructed with bonding, bolting and welding. It is a space frame. I think you will fine the monos the hardest to "add" a cage to during construction(culd be wrong). Some will mount in front of the dash, some have to cut the dash to fit. Then you have to decide if you want the rear hoop to be inside the cabin or outside in the engine bay. A lot depends on the motor selection and what options you plan to add to the setup. A drysump for instance can take up a lot of room in the rear bay. Eventually it adds up to space.
One option you can consider is to look at the companys that add bolt inframes. The base plates are secured and the bars bolt in so that in som instances you can remove the cage for daily driving and add it for track.
So many diecisions!!!! I would think you should look for what you want already in. If you can't find one then move on to the type of car you want and worry about the addition after you get it.
I can tell you about the space frames if you want, just PM me and I can supply you with as many views and advice as you want. I got lots of both!!

Bill

Back