Roll Cage

Hello everyone, I have done a search, but some old pictures do not show. I am hoping to put in a roll bar or a roll cage into my KVA now I am taking it apart.
I have a good engineering firm very local who can bend pipe, etc. (with very reasonable prices) I am going to use 48mm x 3mm, any comments on that?
I would like to see pictures of any fitting of roll bar or cages you may have. Particularly on a KVA.

Much appreciated chaps, thanks.

Murray,

I have a KVA and lament the fact that I don't have a roll cage. Riding low with all those big vehicles around me causes great concern for my safety. Doubly so when I consider that my gas tanks are on the door perimeter and vunerable to a side collision.

I like this roll cage design best!

John
:pepper:

Attachments

• roll bar 2.jpg
    roll bar 2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 898

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Murray, you might want to think about approval for the roll cage by governing bodies if you want to do some racing/hillclimbing. Is the car with you in Tavy???? and if so put the kettle on I'm on my way there now!!!!! ;-)

Andy

John, that's the type I like too. Just need the location of points of contact on the chassis.

Doc, yes it's in Tavi, welcome anytime for a cuppa. Tavi code, 614021. Mobile on ansaphone.

Last edited:

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Hi Murray,

It's not a KVA but you can see what I did with my RCR. Check it out HERE.

Best of luck and I'd love to see what you end up with.

Wow Chris, that is some cage, no probs there in case of a bump!! Thanks for that.
I have saved all the photos and will print them, so I can get an idea of what could go where when I go out to the garage.

Hello everyone, I have done a search, but some old pictures do not show. I am hoping to put in a roll bar or a roll cage into my KVA now I am taking it apart.
I have a good engineering firm very local who can bend pipe, etc. (with very reasonable prices) I am going to use 48mm x 3mm, any comments on that?
I would like to see pictures of any fitting of roll bar or cages you may have. Particularly on a KVA.

Much appreciated chaps, thanks.

Hi Murray, there is one sitting in my garage if you want to take a look, and take some sizes, i will give you a pm with my tel no. Andy

Ron Earp

Admin
Mine is not a GT40, but I do have a SCCA legal cage for the Lola. One thing I noticed on the cage that you showed is that those foot pads where the bar mounts in is woefully inadequate, IMHO. I think they should be tied into pads with around 80-100 sq in of area and if possible, welded in place. Mine you can have a look at by clicking my build thread in my sig.

There is a good cage thread here:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tec.../23765-roll-cage-information-gt40-please.html

Thats good Ron, I don't think I need to go full race legal, just enough to feel safe on the road and maybe a track day or hillclimb once in a while.
I did manage to see some of that other thread before. Thanks

Julian, thanks for the heads up. What a fantastic job you have done on your re-build! Very well done, I just hope mine turns out half as good. Couple of questions, did you have a fuel tank specially made to fit round where the bar comes down into the side pods, or are they shorter than usual? What fuel caps did you use, where are they from and how much.!? I have to do some cutting out as I have no opening on my KVA on the front clip.
Well done again, she is a credit to your hard work.

Hi Murray,

Thanks for the kind words! Re the fuel tanks, on the GTD there is already a gap between the chassis 'sides' & the fuel tanks to allow room for the coolant pipes/gearchange etc... I found that by modifying the coolant pipes everything fitted nicely... (just!). I bought the roll hoop to the floor of the chassis to comply with RAC regs.

I fabbed the filler caps using a Mocal screw on cap from Merlin motorsport (ISTR about 15 quid each). I've posted a couple more pictures on my build thread that I hope may help. http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-buil...completed.html

Regds,

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Here are some pictures of work in progress of the roll cage that I'm installing in my SPF Mark II. It is similar to what I have seen in several original cars but they were all very different. The main hoop is permanent but the front hoop and center member are removable. What isn't shown here is the rear braces that will go from the main hoop back to the rear shock towers. Should have those in place in the next week or so. You can also see the "Holman-Moody" style dry sump tank that has been built.

Attachments

• DSCF3459.jpg
    DSCF3459.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 592
  • DSCF3467.jpg
    DSCF3467.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 572
  • DSCF3455.jpg
    DSCF3455.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 581
  • DSCF3481.jpg
    DSCF3481.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 600
  • DSCF3477.jpg
    DSCF3477.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 590
Still after Rollcage pics?

Took this pic not long after I got the car.

This is the 8 point cage from Roaring Forties. (Two rear bars not shown)

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• rollcage.jpg
    rollcage.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 486
Yes. It's fair to say that my dignity is most certainly lost entering the vehicle!

The cage will have to come out for registration purposes. I will however re-install it after that. My spider is secured with RivNuts across the front, and is therefore removable to allow this.

The other issue is with my elbow and that upright. With the gear lever located near by, there may well be a few issues with this.

Good luck with your design.

Attachments

• DCP_0172.JPG
    DCP_0172.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 359
Back