rover 3.5lt V8

Hi Guys,
My friend and co-gt40 builder picked up a sad gt-40 that was built with a Rover 3.5liter V8.
shocked.gif
This has two SU carbs that sit at an angle on a centre manifold. Does anybody know of a mod to this manifold to take a Holley carb? (I know!,I know! Ford only !!, I will now go and wash my mouth out with soap
smile.gif
)
cheers
Dave

Dave,

That sounds like the original manifold as used in the LandRover.

There is a mod that involves chopping the top 'pyramid' off the manifold and welding on a new plate that matches the holley bolt pattern and port profile...

It needs good welding/brazing as the weld obviously needs to be completely airtight...

I would suggest that you would be better looking at the Offenhauser manifold which is not expensive, and massively outperforms the standard manifold anyway, and also has provision for water heating, PCV take offs, and various other sensors that exist on the standard version - plus has a much lower profile, so fits easily under the hood.

However, if you want to persist, treat yourself to 'Tuning Rover V8 engines' by David Hardcastle (available on Amazon) which covers the mod quite thoroughly.

Neil

Ron Earp

Admin
Tie that thing to a rope and use as a good anchor.

A good running used 5.0L motor will only set you back $500-700 US, with most all accessories in place. Maybe we need to start a business exporting these things to other countries?
wink.gif
wink.gif

R

G

There are manifolds out there that take Holley carbs and are direct one for one replacement parts for the Rover item. Real Steel in Uxbridge do them and they cost no more than a 302 type manifold. Just make sure you buy the right Holley for your application!

Malcolm

G

hey Ron, reading your reaction above reminds me of a story involving a certain make of GT40 replica chassis' that really did end up as anchors in a harbour but to tell it would cause a few red faces. But it is funny, maybe if we ever meet up I shall spill the beans.

Malcolm

I'll second Malcolm's point... the Holley 390 is the one to go for with Vacumn secondaries... the bigger Holley is too much for the engine, and actually is outperformed by the 390...

As for putting a 302 in, that does almost make sense, and is certainly the more 'correct' option, but the price of a Holley, plus a decent manifold is still a lot less than a 302, plus new gearbox, bellhousing, release bearing, clutch assembly, starter motor, drive shafts etc etc...

Ron... if you started importing cheap engines then you would be very popular!

Neil

Isnt that the same angine as the buick 215. I belive they are the same rover bought the tooling from buick is so you can get an intake that will use 4 weber carbs.
Earl S.

Back