Schumacher in coma

Receiving stolen property should be the charge. that way there is no ducking by saying didn't purchase or any other thing they might claim they can't even claim they didn't know. It is still receiving.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
There's no way of telling who did it. From past similar incidents, it is LESS likely to be a member of the treatment team, and more likely to be someone who figured out how to access the medical records, but who would not have had permission to do so. Keep in mind that most hospitals use EMRs now, so if that hospital used an EMR, the perpetrator would just have to bring a thumb drive or stick and download the folder into it. It could all be done rather quickly, I am sorry to say.

However- all EMRs that I have ever used also establish a trail of who accessed the system and their passwords. That doesn't necessarily make them able to catch the thief of Schumacher's records, who will have tried to cvoer their trail, but it does allow them to figure out which computer terminal was used to do it, and when it occurred, more than likely. Most hospitals also have cameras in them- I know that the one I work in does, because there was an incident a few years ago and several staff were fired over it. So there is a fairly good chance that the person or persons who did this will be caught.

When they get caught, the law should be applied to the fullest extent of the possible penalty. Stealing someone's medical records is loathsome. There is no excuse possible. There is NO "public right to know" or any of that crap. It is stealing, for money, and nothing else, and an inexcusable invasion of a sick person's privacy and dignity. Years in prison would be too little.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I'm beginning to think that the family in not disclosing exactly how he is and where he is at,
are letting his millions of fans world wide down.
Or are they afraid that they may be criticised for keeping Michael alive in a vegetative state with no hope of recovery?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Apparently someone has stolen Michael's medical files from the Grenoble hospital.
They are being offered to the media for €40,000. According to his manager.
Hope they get the low life and throw away the key.

When they get caught, the law should be applied to the fullest extent of the possible penalty. Stealing someone's medical records is loathsome. There is no excuse possible. There is NO "public right to know" or any of that crap. It is stealing, for money, and nothing else, and an inexcusable invasion of a sick person's privacy and dignity. Years in prison would be too little.

Agreed, guys....having worked for 34 years in fields in which confidentiality was paramount, like you I have witnessed many transgressions. I've never seen one prosecuted...but I think they should!

Cheers!!

Doug

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Item in today's NYTimes about this. Because of his wealth, they can set up a rehab facility at his home, which seems to be what they've done. But we really have no idea what his condition is- he could still be on a ventilator, or getting fed through a gastrostomy tube. Anything could be possible. The one thing I think ISN'T happening is a dramatic recovery- because if it were, we'd already have heard of it. No one would keep that a secret.

So we have to assume, unfortunately, that he's still rather badly off. That's not hopeless by any means, but it does mean his recovery will take a long time.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
So we have to assume, unfortunately, that he's still rather badly off. That's not hopeless by any means, but it does mean his recovery will take a long time.

Agreed Jim..

But there are fans who are still clinging to the hope that one day the Champion will open the front door to his house, look off to his left with that warm smile, pull on his helmet and race off to another victory...

I'd really like to hold onto that dream, but it's not likely to happen without Divine Intervention.. The human body is an amazing work and the will to live is stronger than most will ever know. Deep inside there, Michael is still fighting..

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The other significant item may be that he is young enough to still be alive if there is some kind of breakthrough invention in the treatment of this kind of traumatic brain injury. Why not? Plenty of folks are working on it.

Back