Scott T's build - Safir GT40

So, today I am to pick up rolling art. If your on this web location you get it. There are cars....then there is art, that are art that is mobile. I am poised to pick up today a Safir GT40 here in the US. I intend on taking you through this journey together. My intentions are to wake her up (been sleeping for 28 years) and race her in vintage racing here and in Europe. These cars were born to race, I am a racer and people should see her doing what she was born to do. Risk are known and accepted, but to see a real GT40 live will bring happiness to many, I hope. I conducted a massive amount of research before I purchased her and a significant amount of that research was here. As such, I thank you all and hope this trip together finds me new friends, racing buddies and enriches us all...in a world that seems to have many negatives in it.

well, the pick up was a bit of a chore. Her breaks were locked in part and not for the very kind neighbor that had a come along, she would still be in a barn. She is GT40P-1098. She is that one owner/ barn find we all see on tv and think thats never true, not ever gona happen to me and I wish I could find one of those. I am in Florida and the car was here also. She is all snug in the trailer and we will shoot home today. Her name is Lani...yes I know thats not normal, but I will share with all the meaning later. I will also post pics of the pick up and her journey to the track as we all travel through her waking and journey together I hope. She is the most beautiful car I have seen, and I thank Ford, Peter Thorpe and all that forged this work of art......

yes the car was Lamonts baby. I owe Ellis Hubbard and Doug Kirk for introducing me to Joni. Lamont passed away this year and both gentlemen lead me to Joni and the car. I have taken over the duty of preserving her and got her back here yesterday, the east coast of Florida. Assuming I can get a child to help me with the pictures, (yes technology deficient) will post the pick up events.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to the GT40s.com family Scott! We look forward to reading more about Lani. Please feel free to start a build log on this car as you take it through the paces and get it back on top shape!

I began digging in here say about 3 months ago. Figured, well I may find out a bit here or there, really trying to see if bits and pieces were available for the GT40 cars. What I rapidly learned, this is a world wide thingy, with all sortsa resources, all sortsa folks with a common thread. Were all a bit in lust over art on wheels. My wife is convinced I am just the only nut job out there and now I can honestly say there are a heap. I am honored to now be a part of something like the GT40 world wide family and hope many of you folks get to see Lani doing what she was born and bred to do. Kick the chit out of Ferrari's and Porches........

so, the shop here chickened out. saw rolling art for the first time and decided they were not worthy. Fortunately I raced for a team out of Atlanta a few years back at COTA ( won drivers championship at WRL) and they have an old geezer that is pumped to awaken her and prep her for the track. Still working on the pics, need my daughters help......

well, not that anyone may still be following, she is now in Atlanta Georgia, about 100 yards from a race to now get awaken. Soon there will be oxygen in her lungs and the awakening process begins. My hope, she gets sorted, prepared and we test at Road Atlanta within a month or so. I plan for her maiden voyage for November at the Daytona Classic 24.........as you may recall, that was the first victory for a MK 1.

Attachments

• IMG_6234.jpg
    IMG_6234.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 1,119
  • IMG_6261.jpg
    IMG_6261.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 1,131
well, she is unloaded, in a proper race garage, with proper race mechanics..behind gates and security, I can sleep........Ok, that may have been a tad dramatic, but thats the ol ,net these days, no drama, no one cares. She is within a sniff of the track and I can assume her legs are quivering with excitement. You guys have been on this cite for some time and I hope the travel Lani and us all go through leave us all blessed to know her. Updates and pics as we go.

Attachments

• IMG_6239lani.jpg
    IMG_6239lani.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 1,061
  • IMG_6231lano.jpg
    IMG_6231lano.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 1,028

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Do you want this thread moved to Build Logs section and re-titled? If so, what title do you prefer?

yes please, move it to build log.. puts some peer pressure on Scott to keep updating us and sharing pictures! Awesome stuff sir, I can sense your excitement through your keyboard.

right then, place the path I hope to take us down in the proper place for folks to enjoy. The selection of the race team in Atlanta excites me. The old feller that started the team, his son now runs, has maintained many high end cars, including awakening another (folks seem to debate what is real or not) real GT40. As I have began to learn and I know many of you know, these are built like a tank but have uniqueness that need knowledge. More to the point, a race car is not a street car in my humble opinion. Lani was built by Safir/JW Automotive in the UK with the hope she would race but need for her to sale, so a likely suitor was a street guy. I hope Peter Thorpe is proud she is awakening, with a mindful eye to the track,

Attachments

• IMG_6264.jpg
    IMG_6264.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 942
Back