seat belt mount

I have welded a plate the same thickness as the end piece on the harness to the head of a grade 8 bolt. I am confident about my weld, however, I wonder if I need to normalize the bolt from the weld effects. I will be using aircraft quality bolts to mount harness to the plate, and then bolt it through the metal strap in the floor. Am I being too anal for someone who does not plan to race wheel-to-wheel?

Attachments

• 77831-DSCF1332web.jpg
    77831-DSCF1332web.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 230
and here is the stock mount supplied by Simpson for a clip in end (which is what I am using on the shoulder harness).

Attachments

• 77833-DSCF1333web.jpg
    77833-DSCF1333web.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 239
I thought the lap belt mounts are designed to bolt on directly to the floor or side sill stock seatbelt mounts?
But if your chassis doesn't have them, then I guess your solution is good.

I wouldn't do it like that, especially since someone's life might depend on the mount's integrity.

Welding on the bolt will change the bolt's characteristics considerably. An inspector would freak if they saw that. I've done some much more minor welding (in a non-critical location) on the edge of the head of a flat-head screw and the shank broke at a frightenly low torque.

You'd be better off to "bush" the eye shown or make a sheet-metal adapter.

Thanks Bob, not what I wanted to hear, but your opinion is valued and I will proceed accordingly.

Rune

Supporter
I vould advice to use a aircraft part, a clevis fork AN481/486 since You use aircraft bolt as well. Then You have the stength ou need for safety.

Regards Rune

Pat,

Please do as Bob Putnam says. Your bolt and welded plate idea will sadly probably not take the strain in the event of a biggie !!!!!!!!!!!!! Sleeve and high tensile bolt.

Graham @ GTA Racing.

I opted to spend more money for a lap belt that would accept clip-on ends and orders more standard eyebolts from Simpson, so no more custom parts. At this point in time, what another $125?

Back