Shortening a distributor?

Guys,

As you might have guessed, I'm so cheap I squeak. (Actually don't have a lot of extra monies so I don't have much of a choice.)

One of the lessons taught by the engine install is that Ron was correct ... the distributor (MSD p/n 8354) is a bit tall. Would be much better if it were an inch shorter. There is plenty of room in the shaft above the lock down flange.

Anyone shorten one of these things? Anyone have any guidance on the problem? (I do have a good lathe and mill to work with on this little task if that helps.)

Thanks,

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Shortening this distributor is going to be tough because of the flange where it mounts. You can't just machine the existing piece.

msd-8354.jpg

You either going to have to cut out a section and weld, which is tricky because the bore has to stay really straight and aluminum warps easy when welding, or make a new housing from scratch, maybe not worth it.

Also the shaft is hardened at the oil pump drive end you would have to shorten it inside if possible.

Are you sure you even have an inch clearance down around the main body of the dist?

Have you looked at a clearance bubble in the firewall?

Mike, it seems a lot of your problems relate to the position of the engine/gearbox unit in the chassis ! , might it not solve these by relocating the position of the unit by making new mountings, its not difficult and would create a better centre of gravity as well. Frank

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Mike,

I had an MSD billet distributor on my 302 that interfered with the chassis. The previous owner nothced out the cross member if you look closly at the picture. I can get a closer picture later if you'd like.

Attachments

• 60960-DSC02241B.jpg
    60960-DSC02241B.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 253

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
As you can see it's getting lot's of 'brain' power. And with the pea brains around here were tapping every cubic inch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lmao, How many miles to the pint do you get ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

A stock Ford housing is much shorter. There are several people who can modify the stock distributor to meet or exceed MSD performance. Also, a 351C distributor housing is shorter than a 351W. Have to change the gear to match the 351W/302 cam, though.

Back