Should guns be banned in the United States? Your thought.

No wonder Pete gets the hump, YerDugliness started a thread on the ISIS threat and it drifted into a gun ownership debate. Pete put this to bed by starting this thread and now this one has morphed into the ISIS debate :poke:

Bob

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Looks like we ought to ban doctors.

Fine with me, I'll retire and play with my boat and my cars, and my guitars. Just don't come whingeing to me when you're sick.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
These are US deaths per year/ Per day
Medical related deaths 225K / 616
Tobacco 400K / 1095
Drunk driving 25K / 68
Alcohol 750K / 2055
Cancer 585K / 1603
Firearm homicide 12K / 33

Please explain "medically related deaths"- what's the source, etc?

Also, I clearly remember being taught in med school that tobacco-related illnesses were the single largest killer of Americans. I believe this is still true. Nevertheless, I STILL don't advocate banning tobacco products. Serious penalties for sales to minors, yes. But once you're an adult, you should be free to make any stupid decision for yourself that you want. For yourself, I said.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
To answer the original question...

No, I do not think guns should be banned.

I do think that gun-users should have to pass a written as well as a skill test to obtain a hunting license, and anyone wanting to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon permit should be required to carry insurance of some sort of be bonded...

I also think that ANY crime committed in which a gun was involved should carry severe penalties...LONG prison sentences with no opportunity for parole.

IMHO we need to ensure that the criminal element has NO GOOD REASON to use a gun in the commission of their crime. The only way to facilitate that attitude is to impose severe penalties for criminal gun use. I know, I know...we have severe penalties for murder, and that does not keep people from committing murders. The only response I have to that is that during the time I worked for TDCJ the incidence of "aggravated" assaults (indicating a weapon was used during the commission of the crime) was easily 100:1 compared to those sentenced for murder, and probably higher.

Cheers!

Doug

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I do think that gun-users should have to pass a written as well as a skill test to obtain a hunting license, and anyone wanting to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon permit should be required to carry insurance of some sort of be bonded...

The right to keep and bear is just that - a RIGHT...not a 'priviledge'. One doesn't have to pass a test or pay govt a FEE to exercise a right.

E.g.: Are we required to pass a test, get a license, meet this-or-that qualification, get a permit or pay a FEE to excercise the RIGHT to life? There is no difference in that regard between any of the rights we've been guaranteed.

Tobacco 400K / 1095
Drunk driving 25K / 68
Alcohol 750K / 2055
Cancer 585K / 1603

Also, I clearly remember being taught in med school that tobacco-related illnesses were the single largest killer of Americans. I believe this is still true. Nevertheless, I STILL don't advocate banning tobacco products. Serious penalties for sales to minors, yes. But once you're an adult, you should be free to make any stupid decision for yourself that you want. For yourself, I said.

Doctors Are The Third Leading Cause of Death in the US, Killing 225,000 People Every Year

There are a number of sources, all of them say roughly the same. I searched "medically related deaths in US per year". Some were higher, I took the lower number.
If someone is actually concerned with unnecessary death in the US, the causes that should be looked at are cancer, tobacco, medical, and alcohol. Firearm deaths while devastating are minimal compared to total firearm owners. 310 million firearms and 30k gun related deaths, that works out to .01% of all guns owned are used to kill people. It is also of concern that the shooters at mass shootings are mentally unstable. That might be a place to start.

Tobacco 400K / 1095
Drunk driving 25K / 68
Alcohol 750K / 2055
Cancer 585K / 1603

The alcohol related should be 75K not 750K, I made a mistake, who wooda thought?

Steve

Supporter
Doctors Are The Third Leading Cause of Death in the US, Killing 225,000 People Every Year

There are a number of sources, all of them say roughly the same. I searched "medically related deaths in US per year". Some were higher, I took the lower number.
If someone is actually concerned with unnecessary death in the US, the causes that should be looked at are cancer, tobacco, medical, and alcohol. Firearm deaths while devastating are minimal compared to total firearm owners. 310 million firearms and 30k gun related deaths, that works out to .01% of all guns owned are used to kill people. It is also of concern that the shooters at mass shootings are mentally unstable. That might be a place to start.

The title is a bit misleading. Doctors aren't actively killing patients or negligent in the vast majority of those cases.

That said, if you don't want to get killed by a doctor, don't injure yourself and don't get sick. If you do either, you might be forced to expose yourself to those mean greedy selfish doctors who want to kill you.

The title is a bit misleading. Doctors aren't actively killing patients or negligent in the vast majority of those cases.

That said, if you don't want to get killed by a doctor, don't injure yourself and don't get sick. If you do either, you might be forced to expose yourself to those mean greedy selfish doctors who want to kill you.

That is why I said Medical, it is very misleading, and while doctors are in the process the 225K death doesn't relate directly to Doctors in most cases. Personally if I needed a procedure I wouldn't take just any Doctor to wield the scalpel, I would look for one with total success, lots of the same procedures, and positive patient feedback.

ALL THESE ARE DEATHS PER YEAR:
•12,000 -- unnecessary surgery
•7,000 -- medication errors in hospitals
•20,000 -- other errors in hospitals
•80,000 -- infections in hospitals
•106,000 -- non-error, negative effects of drugs

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Personally if I needed a procedure I wouldn't take just any Doctor to wield the scalpel, I would look for one with total success, lots of the same procedures, and positive patient feedback.

'Couldn't agree more. I've been pondering a bit of "elective surgery"...and I'm in complete agreement with your advice. Along those lines, I've selected a surgeon who meets all of your criterion and more if I decide to have the procedure done. He's had 'a couple of decades' (and then some!) experience in the field, 'has written BOOKS on the procedure, and his reputation is impeccable.

Time will tell whether or not I grow enough spine to go through with it... :shrug:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
C'mon Larry,
As the old adage goes...
it's not the size of it...but what you do with it,

Bit drastic isn't it ??
:shocked:
:lol:

Guns only need to be removed from the criminals and nutters, if this could be achieved nobody bar those interested in sporting gun activities or collecting would have a need for them.

Bob

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I had a mate who wanted a bigger penis, he went to the Doc who said "you're in luck an elephant at the zoo just died and I'll transplant part of his trunk onto your appendage.
All went well and about six months later I met up with old mate and he looked a bit depressed, so after a couple of beers I aske him what the problem was and did the transplant go O.K.? Yes he said " the girls love it". "So what's the problem" I said.
His reply "mate you try living with something that everytime you sit down at a bar it unzips your fly grabs the peanuts and shoves them up your arse".

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Well, the good news is that the physician who wrote the article, Dr Starfield, seems to know what she's talking about.

The bad news is that Dr Mercola looks like a quack and a fraud to me. However, he's at least quoting something I can agree with.

Look, there isn't any doubt that physicians make a lot of mistakes and we do cause unnecessary deaths- it's a damn shame and none of us feel other than terrible about it. However, a physician gets up every day to see how many people they can cure or save or help. A terrorist gets up every day to see how many people they can kill.

I would suggest to you that the terminology "killing" as applied to the unwanted and tragic outcomes in medicine is unfair and prejudicial. We don't kill people. We may have more patient deaths than we ought to, but we don't kill people. Find another way to express it and show our profession some respect, if you would, please.

Back