SLC 001 Build

Well I have not had much to contribute lately....so here is a little eye candy to wake up the thread. Only a mock-up at this point that JUST barely fits under glass.

Fun.

Attachments

• IMG_4415s.jpg
    IMG_4415s.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 876
  • IMG_4417s.jpg
    IMG_4417s.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 788
  • IMG_4422s.jpg
    IMG_4422s.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_4423s.jpg
    IMG_4423s.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 776
That answers a question I'm sure I would be asking a few years from now. Is that an LS-based engine in basically a stock location? In other words, if I go LS3, can I drop in a supercharger a few yrs down the road without having to cut and reweld the entire engine bay?

That answers a question I'm sure I would be asking a few years from now. Is that an LS-based engine in basically a stock location? In other words, if I go LS3, can I drop in a supercharger a few yrs down the road without having to cut and reweld the entire engine bay?

One of my goals in this was to be able to change the boost without changing pulleys on the front of the engine (for obvious reasons). Therefore this is a custom pars bin set-up that has a forward facing intake and exposed interchangeable rear pulleys that will allow boost adjustments. This configuration does not relate well to most of the SLC builds out there as most are rear facing intake tracts. I'd say you would be able to install a rear intake SC in a stock bodied SLC, but it will take a little skill and patence to communicate to a SC manufacturer in order to get the tract correct for the space limitations behind the SC. The street tail would be the best way to go for the extra room it provides.

No repositioning of the engine would be needed and with some parts bin engineering a rear intake SC should fit fine under a stock height rear glass. (My back glass is actually about 1.5 inches higher in the rear than stock).

You're not kidding about it being a tight fit under the glass. Looks great through.

How many litres is the SC? What's your boost/HP target that you're shooting for?

Here is an LS9 in the stock location...requires the RCR intake tube and a custom cal. that we have tuned on the dyno..

Attachments

• DSCF2414.JPG
    DSCF2414.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 771
  • DSCF2416.JPG
    DSCF2416.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 680
  • DSCF2417.JPG
    DSCF2417.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 804
The engine was built with forced induction in mind, the builder says it should make about 900 at 15 lbs of boost. I don't know, and I don't really care if it can produce that much power as it will only see that tune on track days. The rest of the time it will be at a low boost setting for street use.

Fran, I like the look of the LS9 under glass, fits nice. Do you have a shot of the intake tract? Based on the location of the TB on the engine it probably took some effort to get the intake and filter packaged.

No... not too bad really..we made a custom throttle body mount and an intake tube ...similar in style to the LS3 unit...but pointing in a different direction abviously...we made a couple more HP on the dyno during the tuning....BUT lots more to come with the pulley/cal. swap...should we feel a little left behind by the big gun brigade here on the forum...

Haha - yep things would be "not too bad" around here too if I had a fab shop out the back door :)

I am starting to think that my car may not be as light as others with all these extras I'm packing on. I'll need the extra snort just to get it off the line, but then a race/track car is not the primary target. I think once I'm done it will be a fairly good tourer with some interesting eye candy and tech features to keep me interested over the long run.

Rob

Can you post more details on your pulley setup on the supercharger? I'm thinking I will be doing the same thing, with the blower drive to the back of the car. Did you fab that jackshaft or did you buy it? I've been thinking about how to make one. Also, do you have an intercooler under the blower (air-water or air-air)? Thanks. May have more questions later.

Eric

Howard Jones

Supporter
Fab shop out back door?

Attachments

• HPIM1280.jpg
    HPIM1280.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 644
  • HPIM1281.jpg
    HPIM1281.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 608
  • HPIM1282.jpg
    HPIM1282.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 577
  • HPIM1283.jpg
    HPIM1283.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 580
  • HPIM1284.jpg
    HPIM1284.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 607
:) Howard's doing a little surrogate fab work for me

We are doing a little horse trading between us. In the pictures you see Howard's rendition in aluminum (al-oo-minIUM for you old english speakers) of cardboard mock ups I made. First is the battery and hydraulic pump mount platform. This will go in the forward passenger foot box area and be hidden behind a foot rest wall. The second is the surge tank for the coolant system. This tank will go on the upper driver side firewall.

Howard -
I like your solution for the battery hold down bracket, that will work well in the space available.

Cool

Last edited:
Eric,
I will answer your questions and post more details about the system as the details get worked out.
Cheers.

Wow, hand built-to-fit surge tank. Now thats gotta be a space saver! The welding looks indestructible.

Back