SLC 001 Build

Way back I decided to make my roof scoop functional, to this end a tunnel was made and installed in the roof of the car. fast forward to a few months ago and it was time to figure out how to connect the tunnel to the engine. Here are a few pictures of the result. The filter will fit into this air box as well, but the retaining system has not been worked out yet.

Attachments

• Image0419.jpg
    Image0419.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 578
  • Image0420.jpg
    Image0420.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 520
  • Image0426.jpg
    Image0426.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 628
  • Image0460.jpg
    Image0460.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 553
  • Image0461.jpg
    Image0461.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 512
Next inline was to design a center console, at first I thought it would look nice meeting the bottom of the dash itself. Although it was quickly found that offset of the console relative to the dash made it look odd when butted up, the only solution was to disconnect them. This is the result so far.

Attachments

• Image0395.jpg
    Image0395.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 583
  • Image0396.jpg
    Image0396.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 531
  • Image0454.jpg
    Image0454.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 685
  • Image0455.jpg
    Image0455.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 684
  • Image0446.jpg
    Image0446.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
Installed the rear view monitor, stuffed it up as high as possible to keep it from blocking the forward view. Needed to French the headliner to allow proper line of sight when doing so.

Attachments

• DSCN6292b.jpg
    DSCN6292b.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 708
Installed the rear view monitor, stuffed it up as high as possible to keep it from blocking the forward view. Needed to French the headliner to allow proper line of sight when doing so.

What rear view camera/monitor did you go with?

So far I've tried a pyle (pile of crap) and some ChinaVision one (Crap crap crap). Trying a Jemko Systems one next.

So far i've learned you need a 7'' LCD if you hope to have a good image and you want a CCD camera.

For the rear view cameras you need to go with the ccd setup. It is the best you will find. The selections now are better than when I chose mine years ago. I went with the 120 degree lens and that is not the best one for the rear view. If you are gong to use it for just backing up then 120 is great. You will want to mount your camera as high as you can to keep from just seeing the cars bumper behind you. You can mould them into the roof line, or add a BMW style antenna bump. I would suggest using a 90 degree lens. It gives you the most natural "look", and if mounted high it will give a look just like a regular mirror would. The 120 will make everything you see at any distance from you as very tiny til it is right on top of you. For information that will help you out read this article. It is a little dated but good information. Be careful on getting a wide screen monitor as it will drag out the image and it won't look right. Check the aspect ratio. I think it is 4:3 which makes the 7-9" screens about right.
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT REAR VIEW CAMERAS | eBay
I plan to swap out my main camera, as it is too big and it is a 120. They are making them much smaller now. I am using a multi camera setup and screen that shows up to 4 cameras at one time, or one main one, or split screen with two. Since my 40 is on the street I need cameras in my side mirrors. The wide body doesn't give the regular side mirrors much to see. In this instance the 120s are perfect. Everything I am seeing is up close and the wide field of view lets me see further out to the side.
P1010151-1.jpg

P1010101.jpg

They are mounted in Lexan and then bonded to mirrors made at a local mirror shop. The mount itself is what came inside the motorized RX7 mirrors.The hard part was blocking out the infra red lights as they bounce off the lexan and can put a slight glare on the screen.
I have adapted my 120s to cover the blind spots on the sides. As a car leaves the field of view of the central camera it apears in the side camera. As it leaves that view it is right up on my door. Rather handy for changing lanes and trying to figure out where the cars are around you. I wrecked an 85 Lotus Turbo Esprit trying to judge where the cars were around me with the fisheye lenses and when I had them figured out the truck in front of me decided to stop!

Bill

Last edited:
Mesa-Great looking install! What do you have mounted in your center consul?

Bill- Thanks for the post, very useful info
Jim

Thanks Jim, in the center of the dash - that square pocket is for a touch pad which will have additional gauge displays, the gps, music and whatever else I can think of to stuff in it. The shelf below the pad will be for switches and AC/heat controls. The shifter console will have a few switches in the turned up area towards the front as there is not much space underneath it anywhere else.

Next inline was to design a center console, at first I thought it would look nice meeting the bottom of the dash itself. Although it was quickly found that offset of the console relative to the dash made it look odd when butted up, the only solution was to disconnect them. This is the result so far.

Mesa,

Your console has the perfect flow and the look of always being there. Well done :thumbsup:.

Thanks guys for the props, I appreciate the interest and thumbs up. More parts being beat into submission as we speak :smash:

Interesting Bill that you would copy in this ebay link - EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT REAR VIEW CAMERAS | eBay. As this is where I bought my initial setup, and although I think the lister honest and trying to educate on what is good and what is not. His product (mainly the camera) was not up to snuff enough for me and I'd guess "us", but that of course depends on individual expectations. I purchased a couple cameras from Rage Cam (many quality levels to choose from) and they made a marked improvement in image quality. I kept the screen as seen in the post, although experience will tell if it's good enough.

Last edited:
This weekends major project was to make my steering wheel communicate to the car via a wireless connection. I wanted a horn on the wheel (no telephone cord wrapped around the column) and the ability to control the Digidash remotely. The Digi instructions say this is possible with their remote button kit, I am hoping there is nothing special about the kit and my homemade setup will do the same thing when wired in. The buttons I acquired (from what I was told) belong in a XBOX 360 controller. The wireless is a four channel unit after much modification just barely fit into the space available, then there was running wiring from the tactile buttons to the IC board. Man them's were some tiny little wires to solder.

Attachments

• DSCN6559s.jpg
    DSCN6559s.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 469
  • DSCN6564s.jpg
    DSCN6564s.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 475
  • DSCN6565s.jpg
    DSCN6565s.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 430
  • DSCN6566s.jpg
    DSCN6566s.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 451
  • DSCN6567s.jpg
    DSCN6567s.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 441
  • DSCN6569s.jpg
    DSCN6569s.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 438
  • DSCN6570s.jpg
    DSCN6570s.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 441
  • DSCN6578s.jpg
    DSCN6578s.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 553
I've been following your build and just when I thought that you've modified or improved everything that could possibly be modified or improved.... you reinvented the wheel. Fantastic job!
Jim

Well there's the problem then, hidden agenda must have been to reinvent the wheel all along!!!! :idea:

Too funny Jim, almost had orange juice all over the keyboard!

Back