SLC 24 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Supporter
If you have followed my build you will remember that this car was ordered as a track only car and Fran installed the first full roll cage to be put into a SLC. Since mine was the first one the cage had a few things that needed to be addressed that in subsequent roll cage installations have been improved.

One of which was that the door bars interfered with the inside panel of the doors and they needed to be trimmed to fit. The first picture is the original door. The second is the piece to be cut out and the last couple are of the door after having the interior piece timed and fiber-glassed in place. I used fiberglass mate to make a small insert and then glassed it in place, then finished it up with a little bondo.

Both doors are pretty much done with a light flat black coat of paint so I can see the low spots. I will do one final bondo skim coat when I install the doors on the car. I think I will be glassing in a few more things and I'll do it then.

I'm going to make some alum panels for the centers and then final paint the door interiors light grey like the rest of the panels

Attachments

• HPIM1184.jpg
    HPIM1184.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 442
  • HPIM1187.jpg
    HPIM1187.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 482
  • HPIM1186.jpg
    HPIM1186.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 430
  • HPIM1195.jpg
    HPIM1195.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
First step on doors. I made a little alum template of the backing plate for the door latches. Then I used it to drill the four holes through the door. Next I glassed in the backing plate and finally installed the latch.

Pretty easy really, just followed the plan. Both doors have latches installed now. Next big thing is I will need to take the center body section off the car and glass in the lower hedge backing plates.

I'll install the top henge's while I wait for some time and help to remove the center body section and put it up on some stands so I can work on it upside down.

Attachments

• HPIM1203.jpg
    HPIM1203.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 334
  • HPIM1197.jpg
    HPIM1197.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 340
  • HPIM1198.jpg
    HPIM1198.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 312
  • HPIM1204.jpg
    HPIM1204.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 322
  • HPIM1205.jpg
    HPIM1205.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 332
  • HPIM1199.jpg
    HPIM1199.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have been thinking about an air filter. The normal round deal won't fit. What you see here is a mock up of a panel filter housing. It does fit under the rear body work without modification. The panel would be mounted into the top of the large box just below the air scoop exit into the engine room. I found a K & N panel air filter that would fit here just right and according to their calculator flow plenty for a 7000RPM 355 CI V8.

More as begin to work this out. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• HPIM1206.jpg
    HPIM1206.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 412
  • HPIM1207.jpg
    HPIM1207.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 400
  • HPIM1208.jpg
    HPIM1208.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 399
Howard,
You could make a nice Lexan base and top for that cleaner. Maybe even glue in some Lexan lead in tubes to connect hoses to direct the fresh air in. Would give it a "CLEAN" appearance!!

Bill

Howard,

Have you considered the same approach that the #18 Thill car used? Instead of the Lexan window over the engine, there was a solid piece with snorkels that fed air to an airbox over the TBs.

Of course, you wouldn't have to use snorkels- I assume NACA ducts would work as well, assuming there was good flow in that space.

An approach like this would allow you to use cool air, instead of hot engine compartment air. I think I read somewhere that a rule of thumb was a 1 HP loss for every 10 degrees increase in IAT over ambient.

Howard Jones

Supporter
A bit of progress on the air-filter/air-box. I am going to add a couple of stays at the front sides down to the heads to tripod the support of the air-box. It's not as heavy as it looks but I think a little support at the front won't hurt.

I made a couple of changes to the box itself. The carb inlet half got tapered sides instead of the box style of the cardboard mock-up and I am going to add supports as above.

The whole thing is .80 6061 except the panel frame. I made ti out of thin wall steel square tubing. I am not completely sure I will not ch age the frame style. I have a little more thinking to do on it. It works and I get a good seal but it looks a bit massive. Maybe just some angle stock instead of the tubing.

It this point it all fits under the rear bodywork without modification. The hold down bolt clears the body by 1/4". I haven't decided about sealing the air box to the body. That would make it fairly complicated to remove the filter box. Maybe just venting outside air onto the top from the scoop will be enough.

Something to think about .

Attachments

• HPIM1209.jpg
    HPIM1209.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 483
  • HPIM1210.jpg
    HPIM1210.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 419
  • HPIM1211.jpg
    HPIM1211.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 402

Howard Jones

Supporter
Finished the stays at the front of the air-box. The first picture is a better one of the complete assembly out of the car. The others are back in with stays and finished assembly installed.

Attachments

• HPIM1212.jpg
    HPIM1212.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 379
  • HPIM1214.jpg
    HPIM1214.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 376
  • HPIM1216.jpg
    HPIM1216.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 390

Howard Jones

Supporter
Little stuff. Fuel log made. I had some leftover tubing and fittings laying around so I made this up. should work.

The other two are a quiz. Guesses?

The last one also has a look at the rear body support. The intention is to carry the weight of the bodywork when down, closed, in place and to try and keep the loads off the hedge system.

Attachments

• HPIM1223.jpg
    HPIM1223.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 370
  • HPIM1220.jpg
    HPIM1220.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 373
  • HPIM1221.jpg
    HPIM1221.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 406
  • HPIM1222.jpg
    HPIM1222.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 404
Dear Howard:

In your build log, you have written:

The second is the piece to be cut out and the last couple are of the door after having the interior piece timed and fiber-glassed in place.
Next big thing is I will need to take the center body section off the car and glass in the lower hedge backing plates.
The intention is to carry the weight of the bodywork when down, closed, in place and to try and keep the loads off the hedge system.
I remember F1 had all sorts of weird names for their wild aerodynamic appendages: "barge boards," "fences". What is a "hedge system"? Is it something having to do with the aerodynamics?

Thanks!

Bassanio et Portia

Back